Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2013, 11:52 AM

Default Can I Record Real-Time Expression/Mod Data in MIDI Tracks?

I watched a Lynda tutorial where a guy recorded real-time automation data with his mouse using the slider in Pro Tools.

However, this was on an audio track and I haven't been able to find this feature for MIDI tracks using VSTs so I'm assuming you need a hardware controller to record expression and mod data - either that or draw it in with the pencil tool. Is this correct?

I'll be happy if I'm wrong

Thank you!
Old 10-23-2013, 01:06 PM

Default Re: Can I Record Real-Time Expression/Mod Data in MIDI Tracks?

I'm afraid you need a hardware controller.

However, for auto-enabled parameters in virtual instruments, you can click'n'drag directly on the VI to record automation. I always use Latch mode.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:55 AM

Thanks Stig!

For my Play instruments, I see controls for volume and pan but I think that's the extent of it. I'll make a point of getting a controller.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:33 PM

You can move the slider with touch or latch on and write volume data, select and copy it, then make a new lane like expression for example, and "paste special" to current automation type.
Apogee Mini-Me firewire.
Old 10-25-2013, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MogDog View Post
I watched a Lynda tutorial where a guy recorded real-time automation data with his mouse using the slider in Pro Tools.

However, this was on an audio track and I haven't been able to find this feature for MIDI tracks using VSTs so I'm assuming you need a hardware controller to record expression and mod data - either that or draw it in with the pencil tool. Is this correct?

I'll be happy if I'm wrong

Thank you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MogDog View Post
Thanks Stig!

For my Play instruments, I see controls for volume and pan but I think that's the extent of it. I'll make a point of getting a controller.
You're going to need some kind of hardware controller - I use my MIDI connected keyboard for this. Do be aware of one possible problem depending on the controller you're getting. If it's an Ethernet connected controller the Play engine will not work with it in PT. Something about controls in the Play 4 engine not responding to a controller connected via Ethernet.

QAPLA!