Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 05:20 AM

Default Re: Where are the Promised AAX-DSP Plugins??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Thornton View Post
I have chronicled my experiences of going from HD2 to HDX in three parts...
Nice documentary of your HDX experience. Thanks.

At the end of Part 3, you state: "I had [many] more problems getting my system to play nice with Lion than I did getting Pro Tools 10 HD up and running..."

I have Pro Tools HD 10, but no need for HDX, yet. It seems the lack of the AAX-DSP plug-ins is explainable by the fact there is still a limited number of HDX users, and that there must be considerable expense in implementing the requisite TDM to AAX-DSP revisions.

It is the proverbial Catch-22. The plug-in companies need lots of users to make plug-in development worthwhile. Potential HDX users need lots of AAX-DSP plug-ins to make HDX worthwhile.

The Nehalem/Westmere and Lion platform is an additional upgrade for some TDM users.

My question is "How stable is Lion?" I have a Nehalem but still use SL 10.6.8.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:27 AM

Spent the day at Namm.
Avid has a section put aside for 3rd party AAX plugins.
Many of those plugins are in beta and are expected to be released soon. It was nice to see how many new companies are quick to adapt AAX.

Talked to a few plugin companies including McDSP and waves. It's pretty clear that many of them are using the same strategy going forward. First and foremost, it's a business for them. It cost $$ to code new plugins. Sounds to me like it's a lot more work than just ..... copying the plugin to AAX. One company talked about how this new platform requires new graphics which takes time when you have many plugins to update.

In terms of a business choice going AAX native first makes the most sense because the work has to be done anyway and it reaches the most amount of customers first - going DSP is a little more work but I get the feeling that over time other than waves many will go DSP to reach those customer too, the key words are over time.

Reading some of these threads is always fun because all it is is speculation (this includes me too) but when the hype simmers down its really clear to see that everything is moving along right on pace - when 64 bit PT comes there will be a slew of AAX (DSP and Native) plugins ready to go for one reason only ........ It makes good business sense.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlone View Post

Reading some of these threads is always fun because all it is is speculation (this includes me too) but when the hype simmers down its really clear to see that everything is moving along right on pace - when 64 bit PT comes there will be a slew of AAX (DSP and Native) plugins ready to go for one reason only ........ It makes good business sense.

Here's something that's not speculation:

It all comes down to this for me:

The last 3-4 years of Protools development has been:
PT8, new midi and virtual instruments (native)
Air plugins (native)
PT9 & 9HD (native)
PT10 Revibe and Reverb one ported to (native)
The new system 5 channel strip,(native) used it on a mix and it's really nice!
New plugin GUI's (native)

This next one is a biggie for me and please correct me if I am wrong,

AVID THEMSELVES haven't invested anything into DSP plugin development in years but expect other developers to rewrite code to support DSP and want us to buy new cards,
Like everyone is going after waves etc, we should demand that Avid supports their own DSP cards with new innovative plugins in the DSP format.
When PT introduces offline bouncing and bounce in place, will it be native, DSP or both
I don't know, but my guess is native.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panamajack View Post

At the end of Part 3, you state: "I had [many] more problems getting my system to play nice with Lion than I did getting Pro Tools 10 HD up and running..."

My question is "How stable is Lion?" I have a Nehalem but still use SL 10.6.8.
Hi there, well my problems were getting Lion to play nice, not getting to play nice with Pro tools. That bit was easy, once I got my computer to work well with Lion, things like the new versions of Mail, Address Book and iCal.

As to Lion, Pro Tools 10 and HDX, so far it is very stable. All my issues were in installation and setup. Once I had ironed out the niggles it has been great.

Mike.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by So Serious View Post

AVID THEMSELVES haven't invested anything into DSP plugin development in years but expect other developers to rewrite code to support DSP and want us to buy new cards,
Like everyone is going after waves etc, we should demand that Avid supports their own DSP cards with new innovative plugins in the DSP format.
When PT introduces offline bouncing and bounce in place, will it be native, DSP or both
I wish you were wrong, but unfortunately it appears as if you are not.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by So Serious View Post
Here's something that's not speculation:

It all comes down to this for me:

The last 3-4 years of Protools development has been:
PT8, new midi and virtual instruments (native)
Air plugins (native)
PT9 & 9HD (native)
PT10 Revibe and Reverb one ported to (native)
The new system 5 channel strip,(native) used it on a mix and it's really nice!
New plugin GUI's (native)

Unless I'm mistaking, channel strip is available in both Native and DSP AAX.

Wave-T.com
Old 01-22-2012, 12:18 PM

it's hard for me to imagine that Avid does not recognize the market they could snatch from Waves by releasin' their own AAX DSP plugs. the door is wide open for this. if it was me i'd make it so HDX users were not even concerned about what Waves were doin'...they'd be lovin' my AAX DSP plugs so much. at worse it might make some TDM users hold onto a card(system) for recallin' HD sessions but Avid have a perfect opportunity starin' them right in the face. but as i posted in another thread, Avid shoulda come outta the box with their plugs upon the release of HDX or sit on the HDX release until they were ready. now THAT was bone-headed!!!

The Basschakra Lucid Soul Trip

i7 Builds - Specs and Results

HDNative | Omni | i7-3930K OC'd 4.0GHZ |
ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB GSkill DDR3 2133 ram | mo' stuff
Old 01-22-2012, 02:14 PM

Softube is in the AAX game and from the sounds of this video it looks like they're doing the dsp stuff as well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqy2u...re=uploademail

And these guys are a small company 4 1/2 (one part-timer) people so if they can get the AAX plugs out why can't bigger companies?

QAPLA!
Old 01-22-2012, 02:14 PM

In response to

"Avid shoulda come outta the box with their plugs upon the release of HDX or sit on the HDX release until they were ready. now THAT was bone-headed!!!"

...Or supported another plugin format like AU for example. Kinda like Fairlight supporting VSTs with there Crystal Core DSP.
I know I'm going to get flamed for this comment, but I think it's ludicrous to go for another closed shop approach with the plugin formats once again.
AVID Collab user - mattrixx

MacStudio Ultra / LogicProX / IzotopeRX10+ / SourceConnect / MelodyneStudio5 / WAVES Mercury / NI KompleteUltimate / ProToolsUltimate / RME UFX, UFXII, Babyface / AVID S3 + DOCK / Barefoot MM27 gen2 / Barefoot FP01
Old 01-22-2012, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
Unless I'm mistaking, channel strip is available in both Native and DSP AAX.
Oh ok, maybe in HDX, I'm still on TDM HD3 PT10, so its only in native aax on my system, but thats great if its DSP in HDX. I still stand by my observation that Avid has not supported its own DSP program for years, channel strip is a great plug but thats one in the last 5 or so years? I've lost count, but I think i've made my point. No matter I'm still in PT for the long haul.
Closed Thread