Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2015, 07:28 AM

Default Pt 11 & Apogee Quartet

Does anyone have this set up. I recently bought Apogee / quartet to replace Digi 002.......I haven't got the unit. I suspect the duet is the same interface.
I didn't read as thoroughly as I should have and now I'm a little concerned about this Maestro software.....I 'm hoping I can run quartet as I did my 002.......I got nervous when I started seeing this Maestro software. I'm hoping I can bypass this. Not interested in another software program. Looking for transparency. Just wanted 4 good pres with some connectivity.
Any good links on how to hook this up without massive headaches would be greatly appreciated as well. Hooking up with Mac Pro Maverick / Pt 11 LE / litepipe to DigiMax LT........ many pre thanks
Old 04-11-2015, 07:44 AM

Default Re: Pt 11 & Apogee Quartet

Quote:
Originally Posted by sankstone View Post
Does anyone have this set up. I recently bought Apogee / quartet to replace Digi 002.......I haven't got the unit. I suspect the duet is the same interface.
I didn't read as thoroughly as I should have and now I'm a little concerned about this Maestro software.....I 'm hoping I can run quartet as I did my 002.......I got nervous when I started seeing this Maestro software. I'm hoping I can bypass this. Not interested in another software program. Looking for transparency. Just wanted 4 good pres with some connectivity.
Any good links on how to hook this up without massive headaches would be greatly appreciated as well. Hooking up with Mac Pro Maverick / Pt 11 LE / litepipe to DigiMax LT........ many pre thanks
The Maestro software is what does the routing for the interface and also what allows monitoring without going through a/d and d/a conversion. I'd download the manual and give it a read.

QAPLA!
Old 04-11-2015, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sankstone View Post
No need to worry at all. I replaced my Digi 003R 3 years ago with the Apogee Quartet, got the Duet 2 one year later for my Macbook as a mobile solution.
I have been using the Quartet for more than 2 years with Pro Tools 11, from the very first release on and there never have been any problems with Pro Tools.

You canīt bypass Maestro software as this is your In/Out routing software as well as the app where you assign all your hardware buttons and knobs on the Quartet
individually (which is a fantastic feature by the way).
Just get the latest driver for the Quartet and the latest version of Maestro by downloading it there. Itīs one app which includes both.
Donīt forget to perform a firmware update if your Quartet is not on the latest version (the app will tell you).
http://www.apogeedigital.com/support/quartet

The great thing with the Quartet (in comparison to the Duet 2) is that once you have set up and assigned your hardware via Maestro software you need not open
it in most cases as you will be able to control most functions via the hardware of the Quartet then, means only in a few cases you will have to open it.
Most of the time you need not use Maestro within your workflow unlike with the Duet 2 where you have to set up everything in the software only.

Like musicman already has mentioned you will have to look into the manual but soon you will see itīs very straight forward yet cleverly made and once set up
properly way easier to work with than with all other routing/mixing software apps on the market (from Focusrite, RME, Universal Audio, Motu etc.).
Itīs not complicated at all I can promise you. The workflow with the Apogee version of the Quartet and Maestro is smooth and simple.

By the way you were lucky to choose the Apogee version of the Quartet and not the Avid version because Apogee have done a great job at the latest driver/
the latest Maestro version whereas unfortunately many Avid Quartet users struggle a lot with the Avid drivers and the Pro Tools I/O software.
At least on my system with OS X Yosemite and Pro Tools 11.3.1 it has been super-rock solid, even better than with Mavericks before.

If you may have any specific questions about the Quartet or Maestro please feel free to send me a PM, I will try to help you as far as I will be able to. Nevertheless
please take yourself a bit of time and have a look into the manual as it will give you the most important informations first hand and, you know, even the manual is
not complicated to read at all. Itīs all pretty slick and straight forward and itīs really fun to use the Quartet then.
For example if you have more than 1 pair of monitors you can just toggle between your monitors (up to 3 different ones) via the (hardware) Touchpads by one simple
push, same thing at toggling between main (monitor) outputs and headphones (by just pushing the Controller Knob one time) etc.
Thatīs so cool and such a great and easy workflow in general and in particular on mixing for example.

There you can download the manual
http://www.apogeedigital.com/pdf/Qua...uide-print.pdf
a useful quick set up guide there
http://www.apogeedigital.com/pdf/Qua...013_V2_WEB.pdf
and like mentioned before just send me a PM if thereīs something you canīt figure out yourself.
Once you will get to know the Quartet and Maestro better you just will love it!

The best of success to you,

VRW

Mac Mini i7Quad, 16GB Ram, MBP Mid 2012 2,5GHz i5, 16GB Ram, Mac OSX 10.10.3 Yosemite, Apogee Quartet+Duet 2
Genelec Active, Yamaha NS10, Pro Tools 11.3.1, Logic 10.1.1, Waves, MCDSP, Duende Native, HOFA, IK Multimedia, NI etc.
Old 04-12-2015, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRW View Post
No need to worry at all. I replaced my Digi 003R 3 years ago with the Apogee Quartet, got the Duet 2 one year later for my Macbook as a mobile solution.
I have been using the Quartet for more than 2 years with Pro Tools 11, from the very first release on and there never have been any problems with Pro Tools.

You canīt bypass Maestro software as this is your In/Out routing software as well as the app where you assign all your hardware buttons and knobs on the Quartet
individually (which is a fantastic feature by the way).
Just get the latest driver for the Quartet and the latest version of Maestro by downloading it there. Itīs one app which includes both.
Donīt forget to perform a firmware update if your Quartet is not on the latest version (the app will tell you).
http://www.apogeedigital.com/support/quartet

The great thing with the Quartet (in comparison to the Duet 2) is that once you have set up and assigned your hardware via Maestro software you need not open
it in most cases as you will be able to control most functions via the hardware of the Quartet then, means only in a few cases you will have to open it.
Most of the time you need not use Maestro within your workflow unlike with the Duet 2 where you have to set up everything in the software only.

Like musicman already has mentioned you will have to look into the manual but soon you will see itīs very straight forward yet cleverly made and once set up
properly way easier to work with than with all other routing/mixing software apps on the market (from Focusrite, RME, Universal Audio, Motu etc.).
Itīs not complicated at all I can promise you. The workflow with the Apogee version of the Quartet and Maestro is smooth and simple.

By the way you were lucky to choose the Apogee version of the Quartet and not the Avid version because Apogee have done a great job at the latest driver/
the latest Maestro version whereas unfortunately many Avid Quartet users struggle a lot with the Avid drivers and the Pro Tools I/O software.
At least on my system with OS X Yosemite and Pro Tools 11.3.1 it has been super-rock solid, even better than with Mavericks before.

If you may have any specific questions about the Quartet or Maestro please feel free to send me a PM, I will try to help you as far as I will be able to. Nevertheless
please take yourself a bit of time and have a look into the manual as it will give you the most important informations first hand and, you know, even the manual is
not complicated to read at all. Itīs all pretty slick and straight forward and itīs really fun to use the Quartet then.
For example if you have more than 1 pair of monitors you can just toggle between your monitors (up to 3 different ones) via the (hardware) Touchpads by one simple
push, same thing at toggling between main (monitor) outputs and headphones (by just pushing the Controller Knob one time) etc.
Thatīs so cool and such a great and easy workflow in general and in particular on mixing for example.

There you can download the manual
http://www.apogeedigital.com/pdf/Qua...uide-print.pdf
a useful quick set up guide there
http://www.apogeedigital.com/pdf/Qua...013_V2_WEB.pdf
and like mentioned before just send me a PM if thereīs something you canīt figure out yourself.
Once you will get to know the Quartet and Maestro better you just will love it!

The best of success to you,

VRW

Mac Mini i7Quad, 16GB Ram, MBP Mid 2012 2,5GHz i5, 16GB Ram, Mac OSX 10.10.3 Yosemite, Apogee Quartet+Duet 2
Genelec Active, Yamaha NS10, Pro Tools 11.3.1, Logic 10.1.1, Waves, MCDSP, Duende Native, HOFA, IK Multimedia, NI etc.
Thanks for the info.......I may give you a shout when I get this thing up and.....hopefully running. I'll check out the manual while I'm waiting.
Peace out
tom