Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2006, 05:29 AM

Default 7.2 Issues - Import Tracks Broken, Panner Linking

Hello Everyone,

It's late, and this is an incomplete report.

1) It appears that importing tracks now brings along much data that wasn't actually in the tracks of the source session. It's acting like "Save Session Copy" now. I have to manually remove unused files from the new session B after importing tracks from session A.

2) It appears that consolidating those files on import is also broken, it seems that it just copies them regardless of how large you specify the handles to be.

3) It appears that panner linking, even on single stereo tracks, is now weird. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Often it will grab the other panner half way through a touch update, and it will snap to the new position. Sometimes, it just follows in a gimpy semi-coherent way, with a sort of offset or something. I'm describing a single stereo track, with the main panner link enabled.

4) Fade bug is still here. Two tracks, one on top of the other. Bottom track muted. Make a cut and move. Do a crossfade. Bottom crossfade (the muted track) now has unmuted. Must now manually mute this.

Anybody else seeing these things?

HD2 Accel
G5 Dual 2.3
6.5 GB RAM
PT 7.2

Thanks,
S.
Old 08-11-2006, 07:03 AM

Default Re: 7.2 Issues - Import Tracks Broken, Panner Linking

Stu, seeing the fade-issue. haven't bumped on the other ones yet (then again, not been counting disc-space on imports, so will check this this morning).

Panner not linking for me at all when doing snaps.

-cd
Old 08-11-2006, 09:10 AM

With respect to the panner linking, there are now two modes: absolute and relative. These are set by a preference near the top of the mixing prefs.

If it is set relative, then the "snap" thing won't work as before, and it will at times appear to have an offset as that possibility is part of the point of relative panning.

If it is set to absolute then it is the same as previously.

The pref is: "use absolute pan linking"

Please also check out whether there are any key command changes in the manual pertaining to the snap thing.... I know that some things had to change modifiers due to the improvements to automation that use the apple key.
Old 08-11-2006, 09:34 AM
Avid

Default Re: 7.2 Issues - Import Tracks Broken, Panner Link

HeHere's little more on pan linking:

http://duc.digidesign.com/showflat.p...part=1#1033881

-tv

"There's a fine line between stupid and clever."
Old 08-11-2006, 12:09 PM

Hey Stuart,

I am seeing all the bugs you are mentioning...

With regards to the fades, I think the idea they had was good, but the implementation is wrong... If you do a crossfade that is ten frames long, essentially you are getting a 10 frame fade out and a 10 trame fade in that are overlapping. But, if you move one of the regions to another track, and your cut was in the middle of the fade, you then get a 5 frame fade out and a 5 frame fade in - no overlapping - so you are 5 frames short on the out and 5 short on the in - that could potentially be a lot of missing info.

I have spotted and additional 5-6 bugs in the first few days of operation - but overall it is a good build. I think they need to have more post guys in their beta testing program - we seem to be hitting on all the same topics everytime.

TOM
Old 08-11-2006, 12:48 PM

Quote:
HeHere's little more on pan linking:

http://duc.digidesign.com/showflat.p...part=1#1033881

-tv
Thanks for the replies. Sorry if I sound discouraged, I love Pro Tools 8 (the proper name of this magnificent update)!!!

However, the absolute vs. relative panning mentioned does not however apply to all of the things I observed. Sometimes the automation simply was not playing properly on one pass, and then would on the next. This needs to be examined, I believe. Of course, like many, I upgraded just as quick as I could once the update appeared, and in the middle of an extensive project (luckily I'm the only who ever does things like that) .

Thanks again,
S.
Old 08-11-2006, 01:36 PM

All I have to say is ... STUART... you should know better then that!!

(We all do - but we all ignore our brain!)

T
Old 08-23-2006, 04:28 AM

Yeah, um. Up.
Old 08-23-2006, 04:31 AM

Just looked at the thread hierarchy. Hey Tom, WHADDUP! Didn't mean to sound dissmissive to your reply.

Hope you're good, man. (I already know you're busy).

Talk to you soon,
S.
Old 08-23-2006, 09:10 AM
Avid

Quote:
Hello Everyone,

It's late, and this is an incomplete report.

1) It appears that importing tracks now brings along much data that wasn't actually in the tracks of the source session. It's acting like "Save Session Copy" now. I have to manually remove unused files from the new session B after importing tracks from session A.

2) It appears that consolidating those files on import is also broken, it seems that it just copies them regardless of how large you specify the handles to be.

3) It appears that panner linking, even on single stereo tracks, is now weird. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Often it will grab the other panner half way through a touch update, and it will snap to the new position. Sometimes, it just follows in a gimpy semi-coherent way, with a sort of offset or something. I'm describing a single stereo track, with the main panner link enabled.

4) Fade bug is still here. Two tracks, one on top of the other. Bottom track muted. Make a cut and move. Do a crossfade. Bottom crossfade (the muted track) now has unmuted. Must now manually mute this.

Anybody else seeing these things?

HD2 Accel
G5 Dual 2.3
6.5 GB RAM
PT 7.2

Thanks,
S.

Stuart - Can you be more specific on #1 and #3? What kind of 'extra data' is being imported? Can you give a specific scenario (step by step) where panner link doesn't do what's expected of it?

Regarding #4 - I'm not sure which 'fade bug' you're referring to and the steps you've given don't give me enough info to link it to a known issue. Can you clarify the steps? When you say 'make a cut and move' - are you cutting on one track? Both? Are you seperating the regions or cutting out a section? What are you moving - one track? Both? Where are you putting the fade, exactly?