Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-07-2009, 04:42 PM

Default about to buy disks...

I'm experiencing 6086 and 9128 errors at a rate that I wasn't experiencing a month ago while working on the same PT session. I've added very little to that session during that time. Activity Monitor tells me that my CPU usage is below 40% when the problems happen.

I'm trying to eliminate all potential causes of problems. A new FireWire cable is on order, in case the one between my PowerBook and my 002 Rack is causing problems. And I'm ready to add external disk capacity as recommended by the DUC Troubleshooting page.

It would appear from some posts that the ideal is to have not one but two external FireWire drives -- one for the PT session and all its children, another for the Kontakt samples. Question number 1: did I get that right?

Question number 2: What kind of external drives are really good? The DUC Troubleshooting page says they must spin at 7200rpm but I wonder whether ProTools really cares about that; as Western Digital says, "USB 2.0 and Firewire 400/800 have yet to approach the transfer rates of the internal hard drives we use in our external enclosures."

Considering that every 7200rpm drive I've looked at has several bad reviews by users who feel burned, it may be useful to know whether a 5400rpm drive would do the job just as well.

Thanks for any comments.