Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2022, 06:39 PM

Default Re: ProTools Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGS View Post
Pro Tools 12.5 (or newer) should work on Windows 10.
The thing is I only have a license for Pro Tools 11.2.2, I never went and purchased 12 or higher. The thing is there is no legacy download for 11.2.2 so it looks like I'm out of luck. I have been trying to find a place on the Avid site for a license to buy 12.5 but no joy as of yet and if I do it may be a lot more expensive then the price I paid to upgrade to 11.2.2

I did download the legacy version of 12.5 just to see if it would work, of course it didn't, iLok very kindly told me - not gonna happen . Like I said can't find anywhere to buy it outright. Maybe someone is selling a license

I really do not want to use a subscription based model, I don't use Pro Tools enough to justify that kind of expense.

Maybe it's time to swallow my pride at just buy Reaper

Schecter Hellraiser 7 Diamond - Ibanez RG7620
Eleven Rack w/ ERXP

Last edited by Vercingetorix; 01-02-2022 at 07:07 PM.
Old 01-02-2022, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGS View Post
Great. Take all Windows updates i.e. Windows 10 fully-up-to-date. Do all AVID recommended system optimizations. For now at least, do not skip even one step in the AVID optimizations. Not one... Run spyware and CCleaner (registry scan & cleaning scan). If you have already installed some old non-current drivers or software, then UNinstall all of that and run CCleaner reg/clean & reboot. Then, go to each manufacture's website and download latest/current compatible versions of: audio interface drivers, iLok drivers, Quicktime Essentials, and a compatible version of Pro Tools (like 12.5 in your case or any newer Pro Tools version). Do NOT try to install any old non-current drivers or software.
Will do!!! Thanks .

Eleven Rack w/ ERXP
Old 01-04-2022, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
I know you are heading towards Eleven Rack, but none of the issues here have anything to do with the Eleven Rack so you likely hurt yourself posting it here.
Just for your information Darryl, the 11R and Protools are intertwined. For instance, I can't load up ProTools without the 11R being powered up and ready to go. I get an error message if the 11R is not on and will not proceed until I do. Why is this happening on 11.2.2? Don't know.

Cooled down yet, I haven't it's stinking hot here!

Eleven Rack w/ ERXP
Old 01-04-2022, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vercingetorix View Post
Just for your information Darryl, the 11R and Protools are intertwined. For instance, I can't load up ProTools without the 11R being powered up and ready to go. I get an error message if the 11R is not on and will not proceed until I do. Why is this happening on 11.2.2? Don't know.

Cooled down yet, I haven't it's stinking hot here!
I understand how this stuff works. At pretty deep levels, having hacked on my share of device drivers and OS internals over the years, and I'm a little familiar with ASIO internals, but thanks for the explanation. And all my stuff works, but then I'm not trying to run a Pro Tools version *known* not to work on Windows 10.

Pro Tools needs an ASIO interface, so it needs your Eleven Rack to be working. But the Eleven Rack compatibility matrix is orthogonal to that for Pro Tools. As pointed out before you should be able to easily get the Eleven Rack running on Windows 10 with the latest drivers. You can test it works at least as a Windows audio device, or ever better test with some other program that uses ASIO.

As pointed out before you need to separate the Eleven Rack and Pro Tools compatibility issues and solve your problems.

As pointed out before the Eleven Rack Editor is entirely separate, there are known issues, just for now don't install it and get stuff running first then come back to that once everything else is working, and worse case you don't *need* it.

You are absolutely just wasting time with an ancient Pro Tools version that is known not to work on Windows 10. All the pain here is self inflicted. So what are you going to do? ... Buy a subscription? Or did you do what I suggested days ago and contact dealers seeing if they can sell you updates from the recently expired (Ended Dec 31st) update/renewal promotion program? Or give up on Pro Tools or find an old Windows 7 etc. system. The choices should be clear, you need to make a decision.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 01-04-2022 at 07:22 PM.
Old 01-04-2022, 07:15 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools Problems

And I can't remember if it was mentioned before in all these threads... but you can get a free one month trial of current Pro Tools and get your Windows 10 system working with that trial, then buy a subscription once you are happy (or buy monthly subscriptions if you need more time).

If you are working on game development hopefully you are being paid to do that and this stuff is an investment, and tax write off. Spinning your wheels with stuff known to not work is not only frustrating as hell for you, it's costing you $$$ for your time.

And for stuff *expected* to work with Windows 10 … if does not then test it on a new clean Windows 10 test install.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 01-05-2022 at 10:28 AM.
Old 01-05-2022, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Pro Tools needs an ASIO interface, so it needs your Eleven Rack to be working.
So you are saying that if I don't have an ASIO interface I can't use Pro Tools at all? I was told after upgrading to PT9 that the 11R didn't need to be on, to work in ProTools. Are you saying that this is incorrect?

So does a Focusrite and interfaces of that ilk all have ASIO built-in?

And say, if I were to stop using the 11R and Pro Tools what type of "Interface" does say Reaper need so it will work? I suppose I am asking it how do non-guitarists use Pro Tools if the don't have an ASIO interface?

Quote:
You are absolutely just wasting time with an ancient Pro Tools version that is known not to work on Windows 10.
Which is why I am trying to buy a Licence for Pro Tools 12.5, which is why I have posted a message in the "For Sale" thread. I am not going to reward Avid with $300 dollars for being treated like an outcast. I don't use ProTools enough to fork out $300 a year nor do I use it that little that I only need it a month at a time for $35 USD (For the love of God who came up with that idea). I am willing to spend a reasonable amount money, but, no one wants to take it.

I feel like I got screwed and left to die.

Eleven Rack w/ ERXP

Last edited by Vercingetorix; 01-05-2022 at 08:00 PM.
Old 01-05-2022, 07:31 PM

Quote:
So you are saying that if I don't have an ASIO interface I can't use Pro Tools at all?

So does a Focusrite and interfaces of that ilk all have ASIO built-in?
Yes for the third of fourth frigging time you need ASIO. Like clearly stated in the product requirements, clearly stated in all the documentation.

Yes Focusrite drivers effectively all support ASIO (for any driver they supply, some products with class compliant devices and no Focusrite supplied might not, but I think Focusrite supplies drivers now for Windows for all their interfaces.). Vendors who don't ever mention ASIO in a spec, likely don't support it. Every vendor in the audio world knows how important ASIO support is.

But to repeat exactly what I've said before... to be precise more recent versions of Pro Tools can use WASAPI as well as ASIO. But the point of saying that is I don't' want you seeing "WASAPI" and thinking you could use that, even if you upgrade to a more recent version you *don't* want WASAPI, so in effect yes you need an ASIO interface.

And your Eleven Rack is an ASIO interface... (as well as being a Windows audio interface for other apps) and the Avid drivers support Windows 10, so it should work.... once you have a version of Pro Tools that support Windows 10.

Things are how they are, not how you think they are you and I know there is some core confusion/something here that is tripping you up. But you have to learn to listen.
Old 01-05-2022, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Things are how they are, not how you think they are you and I know there is some core confusion/something here that is tripping you up. But you have to learn to listen.
Or ... stupid I know, I could ask questions to the things I clearly don't understand. Please don't ever become a teacher of any sort.

And you really haven't made anything clearer. If you learnt to explain concepts without jargon then everything will become clearer to the non-initiated - which clearly I am. I am a guitarist with no knowledge of audio engineering. I could use the nomenclature of the martial arts to tell you how to do a particular move, or, I could show you how to do the same move using plain English, which do you think would be better?

Eleven Rack w/ ERXP
Old 01-05-2022, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Or ... stupid I know, I could ask questions to the things I clearly don't understand.
No actually I don't think you are stupid at all. I suspect you have a lot of knowledge about stuff. Heck you are talking about working with Unity. But something got you thinking about interfaces and Pro Tools compatibility the wrong way. Something seemed to help get you convinced the Eleven Rack might be the issue with compatibility etc. vs. just looking up/trusting a compatibility table and folks telling you it won't work.

You might or might not have luck buying Pro Tools 12.5. That was the last version that did not require people to get on board with getting on a perpetual update/support plan and I don't follow why but it may be there are less of those licenses for sale than other ones... when I'd have thought the opposite. You should hopefully be able to buy any version license 12.5 or later, and I would want a later one anyhow, including for features like disk cache (in 12.6), significant cough improvements in AAX processing (in 2019.5 ... AAX processing was causing some folks serious problems before that) and official Windows 10 2021H2 support in more recent releases. I'm not defending Avid's pricing or licensing plans, I don't like them. I am just pointing out what you might want to think about. You can also just go on a monthly subscription licenses, and not renew that when not using.
Old 01-05-2022, 08:30 PM

Quote:
And you really haven't made anything clearer. If you learnt to explain concepts without jargon then everything will become clearer to the non-initiated - which clearly I am. I am a guitarist with no knowledge of audio engineering. I could use the nomenclature of the martial arts to tell you how to do a particular move, or, I could show you how to do the same move using plain English, which do you think would be better?
No. Things have names. Lots of jargon in the audio world. You will likely find learning that makes your life easier. Does it matter if slightly off? No of course not. Does it matter if wildy off? Hell yes that matters. Like what is ASIO? Does that driver support ASIO or WDM or what? You mean there are multiple audio driver standards/formats supported on Windows? That's really nuts (it is, Microsoft should be embarrassed as hell) but important to understand. Or if somebody might be trying to use a phono/TRS output when the correct physical output is an XLR connector... but some people might not know what an XLR is called, or just make a simple typo. So we explain and ask. Many problems are solved by being able to just describe them correctly, especially because then people can search for that term on DUC, Google and in the Reference Guide and often find help faster than waiting for folks to reply on a forum.