Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 03-14-2001, 04:02 PM

Default Beta Testing

How does one get into beta testing software/hardware. I love using the newest tools, even with bugs and crashes, and would like to do beta testing for various companies. If anyone out there is looking for testers, please contact me.
Old 03-14-2001, 05:19 PM

Default Re: Beta Testing

cjguitar,
Buy a PT sysyem, then get the subsequent upgrades and "whalla", you are now an official beta tester just like all the rest of us.

duffy
Old 03-15-2001, 08:41 AM

Don't like to be negative but this release does seem to have a bit of a "public beta" to it. Must say though I've had nothing but smooth sailing on all the prior releases (I missed 4.0).
SK
Old 03-15-2001, 10:47 AM

I already work with 3+ Pro Tools systems, and although I love it, it isn't challenging enough for me (even 5.1, I've been able to find a solution or work around every problem I've come across.
Old 03-15-2001, 11:21 AM

Since PT5.1 we all are beta testers
Old 03-16-2001, 10:19 AM

Why is everybody so negative about the stability of 5.1. While it was being beta tested, and tested for quite a while, everybody was crying "when will it be released?!!!". And when it was postponed, because they were not finished testing, every body started whining again "when will it be released, I need it now?!!!!". So now it is released and you're going to complain?! PLEASE!.

I have not had any significant problems yet, and I have been recording and mixing at my systems maximums. Maybe the complainers would prefer to have Mackie righting the code, that way we can be garaunteed a crash every couple of hours for the the first several versions. And the bug fixes would only take a few, maybe 6 months?.

Digi posted bug fixes within days of the release, in fact several bug fixes, (that's what the cs2, cs3 means after your DSI, DAE).

Please STOP COMPLAINING.

Thank You.
Old 03-16-2001, 10:55 AM

How do you know how long it was being tested Otis? 31 posts? If you are a beta tester you should plug into the user community more.
And if you do know for a fact, then perhaps you are just sensitive to criticism of the beta team?
Not complaining about PTs just the seemingly thin testing that this release went through. It took about 2 hours to uncover several major problems, don't tell me that the beta team couldn't find these. And if you tell me they did, then I WOULD be upset at digidesign for releasing something with so many problems.

Old 03-16-2001, 11:15 AM

Otis,
Of course people are going to get ansy if Digi announces the release. Solution? Don't announce anything about the release untill it is adequitly tested.
If you go through hours reconfiging and all that is required to do the update, then a multitude of problems occur, yes you get upset and want answers. If you are losing sessions or can't continue on with previous ones because you are dealing with bug problems, then frustration sets in and the posts become negetive. Human nature bro.
duffy
Old 03-17-2001, 11:26 AM

You guys are right, of course, that releasing a bugy product is counter intuitive and anti-user. However Duffy says:

"Solution? Don't announce anything about the release untill it is adequitly tested."

Digi has made a point of not talking about "to be released" software and hardware until the feature set is determined, and not anounced a release date until testing is complete.

And no Jim, I am not a beta tester, however, any one who has been paying attention knows how long Digi started developing this release. And as far as MAJOR problems , and HOURS to reconfigure, perhaps it is your own skill at configuring your own system. And your own inability to understand how the Macintosh operating system interacts with the software which runs on it's platform. It took me less than 15 minutes to install and start working. In fact I opened up a mix which had 64 tracks and plugins on every track and automation for almost everything, and it played back perfectly and I then opened up some RTAS plugins because my system was maxed out and still it was perfect. Has not crashed and have not found any bug which prevents me from continuing to work.

The point of my original post was merely that since this is a forum for users to help each other, than perhaps we need to talk about the problems we have had and the solutions we came up with instead of WHINING about how it's not perfect and DIGI should have done more testing.

If you are not confident in the release then just GO BACK TO 5.0.1 and wait till the next release comes out.

P.S. : I only have 31 posts because most of the questions are so simple that the response should be "go read the manual".
Old 03-17-2001, 05:06 PM

In my opinion, if people want to cry and moan at the DUC, they should. When I start to read posts like that, I think "what a jerk", and quickly skip to the next post.

I honestly think it helps folks to vent sometimes. I also don't think that people at digi lie awake at night with tear-stained pillows because of a few nasty posts here.

Love my 5.1, love PT. Made lots of money using it. Not perfect, but what is?
-p