Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 07-13-2021, 10:57 PM

Default 32bit or 24bit

If converters are all set for 24 bit, then why is 32 bit even an option? Should I be recording at 24 bit or 32 bit float?

I'm running Apollo X Quad
Old 07-13-2021, 11:37 PM

Default Re: 32bit or 24bit

It is an option because there is HW that can record in 32bit float.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-13-2021, 11:45 PM

And for Editing - record at 32-bit float for the joy of Clip Gain

Bounce/print to whatever’s required

BTW - welcome to the DUC – best “First Thread/Post” in a long while:
"Save Copy In" full explanation - https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=416173

For a great way to search the DUC, before posting:

Type (any topic – site:duc.avid.com) in the URL space

For example:

32-bit float in Pro Tools - site: duc.avid.com

Last edited by unkJE; 07-14-2021 at 12:54 AM. Reason: Permissions: I log out lots when I'm using my wife's computer!
Old 07-14-2021, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkJE View Post

For example:

I'm running Apollo Twin X Quad.
A/D Resolution: 24-bit/192kHz

After a bunch of research, 32 is said to be almost pointless. Would you agree? Am I okay to record at 24 and export to mastering / mixing engineers at 24?
Old 07-14-2021, 01:48 AM

Recording: 24bit vs. 32bit float
https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=352242

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
Everything gets converted to floating point in native DAWs anyway so recording 32 float gains nothing and I understand even costs you one bit. You just need to remember to switch Pro Tools to 32 float before applying audiosuite.
Quote:
Record from converters at 24. Record anything that's calculated from other tracks or VIs at 32 float.
Quote:
A VI is not coming from a 24 bit a to d converter so it indeed is best written at 32 float.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
There is one benefit using 32bit float.

Usually, VI's output way too hot signals and may be close to clipping 24bit fixed. Doesn't matter whether it's VI or real audio, but if it clips it clips. Now 32bit float is different in one aspect. You can fix that clipping later.

Try this:

#1: open up a session that does not clip. want to be sure? set up a limiter that doesn't allow over -6dBFS out. bounce it out for a test.
#2: create a 32bit float session and import/convert that bounced test file into that session
#3: drive the faders up and/or use whatever plugins you need to get it 100% surely clipping and sounding bad. then bounce it out as 32bit float.
#4: create another 32bit float session and add that clipping bounce into the new test session
#5: use clip gain to bring levels down and prepare to be amazed.
Old 07-14-2021, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobstudioguy View Post
...Am I okay to record at 24 and export to mastering / mixing engineers at 24?

I should ask the experts like Bob and Sardi ...

but I feel supplying 32-bit would give the experts "more room to move" ...
Old 07-15-2021, 10:20 AM

If a converter or interface such as Carbon is actually outputting thirty-two bits, by all means record it. The reason for writing 32-bit files is to minimize truncation distortion. I worry about talk of 32-float headroom because the actual overload culprits are crappy analog line stages and the A to D converters themselves. Treating -10 a one's "zero" can improve quality to a staggering degree.
Old 07-20-2021, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkJE View Post

For example:

Thanks for the welcome and "Save Copy In" comment. Didn't see it the first time around as I was reading from phone and on the go.

Okay, so I have reviewed this several times, also reviewed the other post you referenced. And here is my conclusion:

Still so confusing to the beginner. Hoping for a simplified answer for "dummies". I will attempt to provide such mentioned answer for the benefit of others like myself. And if I am wrong, maybe someone with more experience can correct me.

24 bit: All you need, you should not record any lower than this

32 bit float: Not necessary but it can help in some cases. If your computer can handle it, do it. It will eat up more hard drive space, so be sure you are willing to give up the space

Lastly: Make music, stop obsessing about the technical aspects. Figure out the basics, learn what you need and move on. This is especially true for musicians that record their own music. If your full time job is recording music, then sure, spend more time on these forums and learning the science. But if your primary goal is recording your own music, 24 or 32 or 192k or 48k is not gonna make or break your song.

Yay or Nay
Apollo Twin X Thunderbolt, Ryzen 9 3950X, Gigabyte B550 Vision D MB, Seagate FireCuda 520 1TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD, MSI GeForce GTX 1060 6GB Video Card, Slate Digital ML-1, Kaotica Eyeball, Nektar Impact LX88, PreSonus HP4, Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro 250 OHM, KRK Systems ROKIT 6,
Old 07-20-2021, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobstudioguy View Post
24 bit: All you need, you should not record any lower than this

32 bit float: Not necessary but it can help in some cases. If your computer can handle it, do it. It will eat up more hard drive space, so be sure you are willing to give up the space

Lastly: Make music, stop obsessing about the technical aspects. Figure out the basics, learn what you need and move on. This is especially true for musicians that record their own music. If your full time job is recording music, then sure, spend more time on these forums and learning the science. But if your primary goal is recording your own music, 24 or 32 or 192k or 48k is not gonna make or break your song.
That pretty much sums it up.
I would add:
24bit or 32bit floating point; Very little difference in cpu load and disk usage. Do whatever, makes almost no difference.
Don't throw yourself over any and all software upgrade that floats your way, when stuff is working, don't try to fix it.
And most importantly; Always be backed up! If you haven't already, get a solid backup scheme.
Old 07-20-2021, 01:18 PM

Quote:
...the actual overload culprits are crappy analog line stages and the A to D converters themselves...
To help avoid playback overloads, do you think it would be best to deliver mastered tracks at -2.0 dBFS, rather than 0.0 (or -.2) dBFS? Thanks!
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume