Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2009, 12:53 AM

Default Audiofinder

Just a small heads up for everybody:

Audiofinder has just gotten a "spot to protools" option.

Get over to icedaudio.com and check it out.

No, I donīt work for Iced. I just root for the small guys (or application in this case) and have been using it for years.
Old 09-25-2009, 01:42 PM

Default Re: Audiofinder

does it search metadata?
IMDB Credits
Old 09-25-2009, 03:01 PM

Indispensible tool. Renames files, Makes EXS instruments from SFX files, Great search, finder integration, DSP features etc etc etc etc..... Great price, great support, Worth the price. I would not hesitate to add it to my Audio tools, now with spot to Tools, better than brilliant!
my 2c
Simon L.
Old 09-26-2009, 12:31 AM

is it also possible to spot a selection out off a region/audiofile to PT??

TIA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleadley View Post
Indispensible tool. Renames files, Makes EXS instruments from SFX files, Great search, finder integration, DSP features etc etc etc etc..... Great price, great support, Worth the price. I would not hesitate to add it to my Audio tools, now with spot to Tools, better than brilliant!
my 2c
Simon L.
Old 09-28-2009, 01:23 AM

Yes, it can spot parts of a sound file onto the time line.

I donīt use meta data. All our Audio has the entire description in the file name. (really really long file names) This I found to be the simplest way of having a cross platform compatible SFX archive.

One problem with the spot feature is that AudioFinder leaves the edited copy of the file in the folder where it found the file, not in the audio files folder of the session. This would leave a lot of clutter around on the SFX archive.

My work-around is to set the "processing output folder" to a folder in the system disc. I then in PT set the system disc to transfer only. This makes PT import the file into the session adio folder. All is then good. More or less...
Old 09-28-2009, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lode View Post
Yes, it can spot parts of a sound file onto the time line.

I donīt use meta data. All our Audio has the entire description in the file name. (really really long file names) This I found to be the simplest way of having a cross platform compatible SFX archive.
Really? I thought windows doesnīt support mac-type long file names (255 characters) which is why the whole meta-data thing was invented (apart from the re-naming issue).

frank.
Old 09-28-2009, 02:27 AM

Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS
Short version: Maximum 255 characters.

The only times I have trouble with the length of a filename on a PC is when the file is located several folders "down" in folders with really long names. Typically appears when unraring stuff from torrents.

Actually Iīve had more problems with the length on macs, but I canīt remember what that was about. Possibly something about PC to mac and back or something.
Old 09-28-2009, 06:44 AM

Not all PC drives are formatted NTFS. Not if you want to write to it from OS X on a pre-intel machine anyway. I know there are solutions for the Intel Mac crowd.

Fat32 has a limit I believe... I will wiki it on my own,

Last edited by FajitaTone; 09-28-2009 at 06:45 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-28-2009, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lode View Post
Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS
Short version: Maximum 255 characters.

The only times I have trouble with the length of a filename on a PC is when the file is located several folders "down" in folders with really long names. Typically appears when unraring stuff from torrents.

Actually Iīve had more problems with the length on macs, but I canīt remember what that was about. Possibly something about PC to mac and back or something.
Thanks for the update. I think the beauty of meta-data is that itīs immune to renaming and itīs an international AES standard. Officially PT supports 255 characters but when you spot to PT it will only accept the old 27/32 character length.
But maybe they have fixed this in PT8.
PT is pretty meta-data-transparent. It preserves the meta-data unless you audio-suite something. Then PT strips out all the info.

frank.
Old 09-28-2009, 07:33 AM

Not sure if it's something with my PTLE8.0.1 stage rig but I got a couple of PT hangups on Saturday after using Iced's newest spot to PT function. I will see what else may have caused this but it happened twice after trying out the spot to PT function. If someone else could second this we should let Iced know ASAP...he is fantastic about his bug fixes. AF is the only thing I use on my laptop rig since I don't want to haul yet another key around with me to run Soundminer.

Wilson Dyer mpse
Sound Supervisor, NCIS Los Angeles

Wilson Dyer MPSE
Sound Supervisor: NCIS Los Angeles, CBS Television