Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 10-04-2004, 06:38 AM

Default How to disable RAID?

Okay, I've looked everywhere on the DUC but could not find a mention of how to disable RAID after I have loaded everything. (yep, maybe this should have been done during install?)

*See my system below*

Is it as easy as going into Device Manager and disabling it there? If, so, how can I get all my drives recognized if I cannot have RAID enabled?

Thank you so much for your replies!

Asus A7N8X Mobo
1.5 GB Kingston PC 2700 RAM
3, Internal WD (80GB) HD's, 7200 RPM
Athlon XP2700
DIGI 002
PTLE 6.4x
www.readyacoustics.com
Old 10-04-2004, 10:25 AM

Default Re: How to disable RAID?

Are you actually using RAID? If you don't know how to turn it off it seems unlikely that you ever set it up in the first place.
Old 10-04-2004, 10:36 AM

The RAID controller is normally set up in your BIOS

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 10-04-2004, 12:03 PM

Hey thanks,

I looked in my Bios, but do not see anything listed as RAID. May I assume that it would be in the Power Management tab area?

I have seen it in my Device Manager and it says it is enabled there.

Any other thoughts?
www.readyacoustics.com
Old 10-04-2004, 12:27 PM

Are your 3 disks setup as a RAID0 stripe? What kind of controller are they connected to?
Old 10-04-2004, 12:39 PM

Raid comes in many different configurations. The basic idea is to distribute all your data over 2 or 3 different hard disks simultaneously, either for faster disk access or for safety of data (depending on which level of raid you are using, the most common is RAID 5, FYI).

If it came stock on your machine and you have already been using it awhile, you cannot just disable it. RAID configs define how data is written to your hard drives, so if you disable it you won't be able to read the data.

Look at your computer docs and figure out if RAID is running or not. If it is, you will probably have to ghost your system to another drive and install it into your system instead of the raid, or take the ghost copy, disable raid, format and transfer your data back to the original disks.

If you do not know what we are talking about, you should probably let a computer pro do this for you. Playing around with your raid config is a good way to lose your data for good.
Old 10-04-2004, 01:19 PM

Very good.

When I had the machine made, I asked the tech to make sure RAID was not enabled. So, I assume that is how it was originally configured. However, I did a clean install a few months back and had to use the Asus CD to load some stuff. I think, but am not sure, that I may have enabled RAID at that time. I only say that because I remember the system not recognizing all 3 of my 80GB internal drives. But, I think I enabled it in DEvice Manager. I guess this is not possible huh?

I am using a Promise Controller.
www.readyacoustics.com
Old 10-05-2004, 12:07 PM

Sorry, I don't have a RAID controller so I cannot answer your question. But if you have RAID running, you should have some kind of a RAID program under your start button giving you some raid options. Also - take a look at your disk properties under my computer, if the partitions and areas used are all pretty much identical, you prolly have RAID installed. If they are all different then you don't.

Other techs here? if raid is enabled wouldn't it just look like one big drive to the system rather than separate drives?
Old 10-05-2004, 12:43 PM

Took a look at the Asus Website for your motherboard.. and it doesn't list a RAID controller as being integrated into the motherboard.

Here's my motherboard for comparison -- which allows you to disable or enable the RAID controller in the BIOS.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 10-05-2004, 04:21 PM

Oh for crying out loud!

Do a search on your system for (wait for it!) "RAID" - bit of a dark art all this...

If you have RAID installed you will have a 'raid manager' which will probably be called something like (and here's where you need the experts) "raid manager". Open that and see what it says...

Then you could try looking in the device manager. It might be there.

Or start / programs / accessories / system tools. Or somewhere around there....

Or start / settings / system / administrative tools / computer management...

If none of these come up with anything - you haven't got it.

Minus fifty house points to everyone that's posted here - a big big 'doh!'