Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 03-02-2022, 12:09 PM

Default Re: Buggy clip-fx?

I really hope they expand out the Clip EQ functionality. More bands, bigger GUI if possible. I use it all the time if it cant meet the need I will automate a Fabfilter ProQ3.

I have not found a need for any of the other clip FX in my workflow. But the EQ has become essential.

-Max

MKD Creative
Old 03-02-2022, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfyou View Post
Yes I use it exactly the same way I used it on Fairlight. You can set presets too for the top row number keys 1-5. So I can have one for low cut (plosive), one for telephone, etc.... very efficient.
sounds ideal. - the whole setting range and preview is a bit cludgy. I hardly had to automate on the fairlight as level / EQ on dialog was superb -

I just grabbed a 2018 mac mini with 32 gig for a song so I'm going to build a newer set up and give this a shot

Its got monteray on it tho - I'm not sure how far to wind it back - was thinking of high sierra - so if I dont want the subscription I can revert to PT11HD perpetual.

Saw a rumour on facebook post sound mixers that the evil corrupted session ( earlier parts of time line get corrupted) is linked to clip FX?
Old 03-02-2022, 05:45 PM

I have not seen a corrupted session related to clip fx. Only whilst importing other sessions. And I don't know that Avid has identified the issue definitively after all this time.

I run Catalina on my 2018 Mini FYI.
Old 03-03-2022, 05:57 PM

I never got a firm answer for Avid about my case. They seemed to think rendering audiosuite instances of RX mouth declick caused it, but I personally don’t think it had anything to do with the plug-in specifically. To me, it seemed like Pro Tools wasn’t really setup in a way to deal with circumstances where rendering clip audio within a session (clip fx, audiosuite plugins, etc) required more space on the working drive than was available.

Purely speculation on my part. Auto saves set to 999 and every few minutes, plus closing Pro Tools whenever you take a break is a good way of catching it without losing much work.

I haven’t really changed the way I work in sessions, but after two or three session corruptions over a few weeks towards the end of 2020, I haven’t experienced it since. I also haven’t seen an “out of space” error since then either.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 03-03-2022, 06:00 PM

Oh. And on the topic of clip effects - are they just based on the channel strip plugin? I would love to be able to control them from a control surface… or even just be able to copy channel strip settings directly to clip fx.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 06-13-2022, 05:00 AM

I just updated to 2021.12 (coming from 2019.6).
Very often now when I select multiple clips and apply some clip eq, it only applies to some clips within the selection and skips the others. So far (few months in use) it seems completely arbitrary. All clips have no eq to start with. I've never seen this issue ever before. It's not some occasional selection error. I can reproduce very easily as it happens a lot, but there is no consistency which clips are affected (if any at all).

Anyone else seeing this?
Old 08-05-2022, 05:02 AM

This is getting worse. Sometimes when I create a clip eq on a stereo clip, it only applies to either left or right channel. The clip length for both L and R and sample accurate the same length. The EQ indicator is shown I think depending on either L or R having eq. When I split the stereo clip to mono it confirms only one channel has a clip eq.

PT Ultimate 2021.12

Last edited by Farhoof; 08-09-2022 at 05:18 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08-08-2022, 08:02 AM

Getting Clip FX to "engage" seems to be the problem. Once they're on they seem to stay on. But sometimes they take a little while or a few attempts to attach to the clip.