Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2011, 02:52 PM

Default **PT10 Bug - Pencil Tool/Clip Gain

Found a bug today.

It appears that the pencil tool doesn't recognize clip gain. See video:

In order to fix this click, I had to reset the clip gain to zero, draw it out, then raise it back up.

DALLAS TAYLOR CAS/MPSE
/// Sound Designer/Mixer @ Defacto \\\ Twitter Facebook
Old 11-07-2011, 04:45 AM

Default Re: **PT10 Bug - Grabber Tool/Clip Gain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Taylor View Post
Found a bug today.

It appears that the grabber tool doesn't recognize clip gain. See video:

In order to fix this click, I had to reset the clip gain to zero, draw it out, then raise it back up.
See "what´s new" manual. Under certain conditions clip gain is rendered into the file when using handles. Maybe that is the case when destructively editing with the pencil as well? Not sure. Maybe it´s related..
Old 11-07-2011, 06:54 AM

Default Re: **PT10 Bug - Pencil Tool/Clip Gain

This is one of those things in PT10 that needs to "just work". I'm not going to go through multiple steps to simply draw out a tick.

Curious if anyone else has had this issue?

DALLAS TAYLOR CAS/MPSE
Old 11-07-2011, 09:33 AM

Quote:
This is one of those things in PT10 that needs to "just work". I'm not going to go through multiple steps to simply draw out a tick.

Curious if anyone else has had this issue?

Just out of curiosity, why not hit "-" and go volume and pencil it out?
and how is clip gain more efficient over just going to volume and using smartools to draw/bring up or down volume?
Old 11-07-2011, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDDP View Post
Just out of curiosity, why not hit "-" and go volume and pencil it out?
and how is clip gain more efficient over just going to volume and using smartools to draw/bring up or down volume?
We must be talking about 2 different things. I'm talking about clicks and pops that you can just draw right out of the waveform. Sounds like you're talking about volume automating?

As far as the pro/cons of clip gain, that's just a matter of taste. I prefer it since you don't have to constantly jump over to volume automation and hear your faders jumping around through a session.

DALLAS TAYLOR CAS/MPSE
Old 11-07-2011, 03:37 PM

Quote:
We must be talking about 2 different things. I'm talking about clicks and pops that you can just draw right out of the waveform. Sounds like you're talking about volume automating?

As far as the pro/cons of clip gain, that's just a matter of taste. I prefer it since you don't have to constantly jump over to volume automation and hear your faders jumping around through a session.
My appologies, what I ment to say, why not just expand the wave form enough to see the pop/click and pencil it out?
Toggling between "T" & "R"?
Old 11-07-2011, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDDP View Post
My appologies, what I ment to say, why not just expand the wave form enough to see the pop/click and pencil it out?
Toggling between "T" & "R"?
Yeah, that's exactly what I was trying to do, but the clip gain is messing up the process. (see the video I linked)

DALLAS TAYLOR CAS/MPSE
Old 11-07-2011, 10:37 PM

Quote:

Hmmm...maybe this is related to the pencil tool bug I posted in PT 10 Mac forum. When I try to pencil out a click, it makes the amplitude infinite so that I only see the left and right side of the waveform, never the apex. I'm using clip gain on a lot of these clips. Glad to see that someone else has pencil tool issues. I think something is definitely weird.

OK, just watched the video. I think we're seeing the same issue. Pencil tool shouldn't have anything to do with clip gain, or it should override clip gain. This latest behavior makes it unusable.
www.tnfilmlocations.com
Old 11-07-2011, 11:05 PM

BTW, I think the point about it being related to clip gain is well taken in my case. I'm working on a 6 hour long forensic audio file taken from an MP3 recorder. Often, the audio has to be raised by 24 dB, de-noised, de-clipped and de-crackled using iZotope RX and then whatever thunks or clicks have to be dealt with manually. The pencil tool seems to be applying another 24 dB of gain to the drawn-in data, so in my case, it flies right out of the track. In my case, gong back to zero wouldn't work because I'd not be able to find it! In this case we're talking about the worst s/n ratio I've ever heard.
www.tnfilmlocations.com
Old 11-08-2011, 03:22 AM

I experienced the same bug: Pencil tool on waveform in a region (ops, clip! ) with clip gain and the gain is applied one more time after the drawing.
I'm used to consolidate the part of region I need to "pencil", and so this solve the problem, but this is pencil bug is extremely annoying.

OT, but one thing I think should be changed is the way consolidate works: consolidating only a part of a region should retain clipgain and metadata (or an option to choose this behavior should be available), matching the way duplicate AS plugin works.

Best

Davide