Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2021, 05:35 AM

Default No audio after recording track through plugin

I am new to the pro tools scene. I feel that I have a user end problem that I can't quite seem to figure out. I have the latest version of Pro Tools (just downloaded last month) and Scarlet 2i2 3rd gen. I got a couple other things. I have Amplitube 5 which is really what I want to use.

Problem: I think everything is set up correctly. I can arm the audio track and pull up the plugin for guitar effects and play and hear audio from both headphones and monitors. I can then record the audio no problem and also hear the playback. However, when I am playing back the recorded audio I can no longer hear any audio coming through when I play the guitar again 'on top' of the recorded sound. Also I can't punch in to do a recording fix. I have also tried to take the original track and bounce it, then deleting original track and starting a new one with a new instance of amplitube, but I still can't hear audio in armed mode in the newest track. There is input signal to the interface and also to the plugin, just no audio coming out after something has been recorded. I tried freezing/committing the track. I have searched EVERYWHERE to figure out what setting I'm missing. I have tried combinations of the direct line on the audio interface.

Ultimately what I want to be able to do, is record guitar so that I can loop it and play over top with the same distortion to either practice solos, or record solo, but I can't get a plugin to work after something has been recorded. Also I can't overdub here. Apologies if this is super noob, trying to figure it out. Thanks for help!!!
Old 07-23-2021, 12:15 PM

Default Re: No audio after recording track through plugin

Hmmm, here's what comes to mind for me:
1-are you recording to an AUDIO track and not an INSTRUMENT track? INSTRUMENT tracks are for virtual instruments(plugin/midi).
2-does the interface have a MIX knob? If it does, set it halfway and check again.
3-does the interface have its own routing/monitoring software? If it does, that probably needs a tweak(see if focusrite or youtube have any tutorial videos on using that interface with Pro Tools).
4-can we assume you can see waveform on the tracks that you can't hear?
5-sometimes, the software(see #3) can make punch-ins a problem. 1 work-around is to delete the audio you wish to replace, record your new part on a separate audio track, and when done, move the new audio onto the first track(probably with a little trim and cross-fade)
Hope something here helps

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 07-23-2021, 12:31 PM

Do you have the track in Input - the "I" beside the Record button. If that is green, you will not hear any Playback from that track only the Input to that Track.

Normal way to punch in is to highlight the area to be replaced, then set a Pre Roll value to give you enough lead time and Post Roll too. Record arm the track and hit "3" on the Number Keypad. The Transport will start at the Pre Roll value, you will hear the existing audio until the left edge of the highlighted area is reached, then the Transport will drop into Record for the length of the highlighted area, then go back into Playback.

You can also, as Dave suggested, use a second track to record to and playback from the original track.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 07-23-2021, 12:36 PM

I'll try to keep it simple since this is all new to you. One general method that might suit you best is this:
1. Create an aux track. Name it Amplitube 1.
2. Set the input of this track to Bus 1 (for example)
3. Insert Amplitube in the first insert slot of this aux track.
4. Create an audio track. Name it "Guitar 1 DI Tk.01" (this will increment your playlists nicely if you choose to use multiple playlists)
5. Set the input of this audio track to the Scarlett input your guitar DI is plugged into.
6. Set the output of this track to Bus 1.
7. Arm the audio track, and play or record. (check the level for no clipping)

You should now hear your guitar via Amplitube, both live and after tracking something and playing back. You can also punch into this track and hear your "amped" sound.

Follow this procedure and make as many Amps (aux tracks) and DI tracks (audio tracks) as you want, or that your CPU can handle - obviously based on what sounds you want for various parts. Label them sequentially or however you like - maybe based on the song section or sound you've dialled in. Remember to increment the Bus # for each set of tracks/parts.

This way you can easily change an amp sound after recording your part, or tweak it slightly (often easier when you're not actually playing the guitar), or even add yet another DI track feeding the same virtual amp either for easier part management or simply recording convenience. Cleaning up slight noises, x-fades, mistakes, etc is easier on the DI audio, before it hits your amp.

And as The Weed just mentioned, keep an eye on whether you've got the green "Input" button activated when punching, as this will not play back any previously recorded parts prior to your punch point. A simple red Record Arm will do the trick.

Once you're comfortable with the setup/process, make yourself a nice template so that you don't have to do this every time. eg Rhythm Gtr L, Rhythm Gtr R, Solo Gtr C, Glenn Power Chords L, KK Power Chords R, etc etc.

Finally, record a version of "Breaking The Law" and post it for us all to enjoy your handiwork. . . or did I misinterpret your pseudonym? ;-)

Last edited by Tweakhead; 07-23-2021 at 01:09 PM.