Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2006, 12:20 PM

Default Reverb and Outboard Gear Question

Hello,

I have a few questions for anyone who really knows what they're talking about out there...

1.) What are your personal favorite reverb plug ins?

2.) How do you run outboard effects processors (like in my case an Alesis MIDI Verb II) into Pro Tools LE 7? Basically what I'm doing now is outputting my signal through an output on my 002r, pumping that signal through my Alesis MIDI Verb II, then outputting the MIDI Verb into my 002r onto a new track. Downsides: Reverb is audio and final, takes up outputs, takes up inputs, not very versitile. Is there a better way of doing this? A more efficient way?

Thanks!
Old 05-14-2006, 01:40 PM

Default Re: Reverb and Outboard Gear Question

Quote:
1.) What are your personal favorite reverb plug ins?
Oxford Reverb. TL Space.

Quote:
2.) How do you run outboard effects processors (like in my case an Alesis MIDI Verb II) into Pro Tools LE 7? Basically what I'm doing now is outputting my signal through an output on my 002r, pumping that signal through my Alesis MIDI Verb II, then outputting the MIDI Verb into my 002r onto a new track. Downsides: Reverb is audio and final, takes up outputs, takes up inputs, not very versitile. Is there a better way of doing this? A more efficient way?
Put your outboard reverb in an insert on an Aux track. Bus your audio signals that you want reverb on to this Aux track. The input and the output have to match. For example, output 5 of your 002 to Alesis Verb and then from the Alesis Verb back to input 5 on the 002.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 05-14-2006, 02:27 PM

2 great verbs above that I hope to own soon. MEanwhile, I get good results with Waves Rverb and TrueVerb as well as Waves IR-1 convolution reverb. Dverb is trashy but sometimes that is exactly what you need. My 2 cents, skip the midiverbIII as it really is no better than Dverb and Dverb allows you to edit parameters so you can tailor the verb to the song better. Even after trying(with success) my TC M-ONE inserted thru the SPDIF I/O, the plugins are just as good. Now if you had a Lexicon300 or TC M3000 or better, I would change my tune.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-15-2006, 09:35 AM

I have been using the Waves IR-1 lately and on I like it on some things (like drums room or general hall for a bit more tail on my jazz and classical recordings), less on other things, where I think no plug ins can beat a dedicated outboard reverb yet; I use my outboard reverbs (lexicon MPX-1 and Eventide Eclipse) hooked up digitally to the 002R, ADAT and Spdif, no latency, and no signal degradation, just set up a pair of stereo auxes and insert them there as Shan just said; I created a simple bus and insert pattern so I have the outboard names coming up in my phisical I/O layout. I'm adding a TC M300 and a PCM91 soon, thoug I'll have to run them in AES using a dedicated ADAT/AES converter, but that's fine.

Hope this helps

L.G.
Old 05-15-2006, 11:46 AM

TL Space
TrueVerb
IR-1
Sony Reverb 1 (tdm only)

Outboard

lexicon PCM-90
Eventide (Anything)
Highend TC stuff.

Doc

MONUMENT SOUND ON YOUTUBE

Monument Sound Facebook

"Changing how people hear music one track at a time"
Old 05-15-2006, 01:35 PM

Here's an old post of mine. This might help.

Here are instructions to set up a digital outboard device for Protools. In this case I used a TC Electronic Finalizer using SPDIF connections.

Setting your I/O's:

1. Open a ProTools session;

2. Under "Setups" select "Hardware Setup" and deselect SPDIF Mirroring and press OK;

3. Under "Setups" select "I/O Setup";

4.You will make sure changes are reflected in "Inpout, Output, and Insert" No changes will be made to "Bus" The changes are as foillows: In each input- output and insert, select "new Path" then double click "New Path 1 and rename "17-18"; select "Stereo" then click on one of the 17 or 18 SPDIF boxes and it will display a "L R" just like the boxes above. Then select "sub path" and rename to 17 and 18 then select "mono" and double click a box for each and it will display an "M" like the subpaths above. So do that for input output and insert. Don't close the box yet;

5. Before closing the I/O setup box- Select "Export Settings" at the bottom and save where the other I/O settings are- you will need to give the settings a name and then press "Save"; then in the I/O box select "OK" and the box will close. You have completed the I/O set up (you will still have the old ones);

5. When you open a new session you will get a note "Your I/O Set Up has changed since last time......: Don't worry, just select "OK". If you want the I/O set up you just added- then open the "Settings" then "I/O setup"; then at the bottom of the I/O Box select "Import Settings" select the file your previously created and saved and select "Open". It will then say "Delete Existing Unused Paths" and select "No" Now all your I/O's are set!!!!

Hooking up the outboard device using SPDIF:

1. They use RCA jacks; 001 SPDIF line out to external device SPDIF line in; and external device SPDIF line out to 001 SPDIF line in. Now you are ready.

Now in a PT session, you have channel 17 and 18 settings in Sends and Inserts in all audio and master fader tracks. For the inserts you'll find the device under 17-18 under "I/O"- not plugins.
Put a limiter in the chain insert prior to I/O so you dont spike your external device and compare the effect using the effects "bypass function" to get the right settings.

I hope this helps. Best of luck!

July

MP3's