Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 09-18-2004, 01:24 PM

Default Service Pack 2 Testing & Question?

I have a ASUS K8V system configuration with a AMD 3200+ and running LE 6.1 with an MBox. I have had a problem since SP2 but did some testing yesterday that I thought might be of interest to others in my shoes.

The problem is when I tried to launch PT, the system reboots as soon as I double-click the PT Icon. It worked fine before SP2. Here is what I tried: (also see note below on P4 system that works on SP2)

I tried doing a System Rollback to get the system where it was BEFORE SP2. Although the system said it was SP1 in the properties dialog, double-clicking the PT Icon is just another way to reboot. So, next I tried a clean from the CD XP SP1 install on a spare hard drive and booted from that. I then installed PT from the CD and it came up just fine and asked me for my serial number. I quit the app and did the SP2 upgrade (I have the SP2 CD). I tried PT again and, yes it just rebooted the system.

The only way I can work now is on my old system. Although that is on SP2 as wll, it is a P4 Compaq and for some reason, that seems to work just fine. At least I am not toally out of business.

BTW, I sure hope Didi gets the fix out soon. I think it's a shame we have to make a decision to run more securely or run a piece of software we absolutely need. I am sure the SP2 fix was not/is not simple but my understanding is it has been around for vendors to test for over 6 months.

Does anybody know why the P4 system works on SP2? Could it be the AMD support of Data Execution Protection?

Fred
Old 09-18-2004, 03:19 PM

Default Re: Service Pack 2 Testing & Question?

See the other SP2 thread on this same page. The answer is: go to the RME website and follow their instructions on how to install the old SP1 1394 drivers. You can't use the "roll back" feature because SP2 automatically puts its own drivers back in place unless you "trick" it not to.

Use this link to RME's info.
ADA-8000
Old 09-19-2004, 03:02 PM

First I want to thank you for the time you took replying. I appreciate the help.

The bad news is I am still having the problem. It simply reboots as soon as I double-click the PT icon. I did verify that the drivers are as described on the RME website and they seem correct. They do function OK. The system also reboots if the 1394 is completely uninstalled so I am not sure what's happening. You are running and I am not so I have to leave it as a mystery.

Anyone have any suggestions?

On another note, I also went to your website and checked out some of you music, really great stuff, great job.

Thanks,
Fred
Old 09-21-2004, 08:37 AM

Fred, sorry it took me so long to get back to you. Thanks for the kind words on my site & music.

Wow. I don't know what's up. I've gotten emails from several other DUC users who took the RME advice and have had their problem go away. There's one part that's not really clear in RME's instructions (the bit about how you need to to click "cancel" then "continue anyway" during those three other drivers it tries to install), but aside from that, everyone else is having success.

I can only assume you followed all the instructions on RME to a tee (including renaming SP2.cab to SP2_dead.cab during the install ), so I just don't know what to tell you.

Now, on my system, I HAD to have SP2 because of some other software, is there any reason you can't remove the SP2 install until Digi works it out? I hate saying that, because you shouldn't have to be denied the other benefits of SP2.

One last thought--since SP2 has brought XP a firewall and integrated virus protection, have you tried messing with that? The firewall hasn't caused me any trouble, but I did disable the XP virus protection checker, since I monitor my own with Norton--which I always switch off before starting a PT session. Also, installing SP2 did reset my appearance controls back to default, so I had to go back in and turn off "smoothing of screen fonts" as Digi recommends.

Good luck!
ADA-8000
Old 09-21-2004, 09:54 AM

Here is something I discovered and I can't offer a good explanation. I have a PIV Desktop that I built which runs great and has SP2 installed but reboots the second I try to launch or create a PT session, I am using a 002 on that machine. I have a Dell Inspiron 9100 Laptop with SP2 that is working fine running my MBox. Both machines are almost mirror images with regards to the software installed. The only difference is I haven't installed my plug-ins on the laptop? Any thoughts!
Old 09-21-2004, 12:15 PM

Quote:
The answer is: go to the RME website and follow their instructions on how to install the old SP1 1394 drivers
MBox uses USB port, doubt the 1394 firewire drivers would help.

Have you tried disabling DEP?
open c:\boot.ini and replace
/noexecute=optin
with
/noexecute=AlwaysOff
reboot.

might help but digi has not approved SP2 yet.
Old 09-21-2004, 01:55 PM

Quote:
MBox uses USB port, doubt the 1394 firewire drivers would help.
Oops, totally right. That's what I get for being too excited that my own thing is working now.

I wonder if doing the same thing suggested by RME for firewire, but to the USB drivers instead, might be helpful... I don't know... OBVIOUSLY!

Sorry again!
ADA-8000
Old 09-21-2004, 04:39 PM

Quote:
... is there any reason you can't remove the SP2 install until Digi works it out? ...
Can SP2 be uninstalled?

I have an MBox waiting to load on my eMachines M2350 which inadvertantly had SP2 installed (before! I bought it).
I am patiently waiting for Digi to get this fixed, but I'm beginning to turn blue.

My experience with uninstalling security patches is that most will not uninstall in part or whole.
Micro$oft should offer a clean SP2 rollback option

Anyone have any luck cleaning up the mess after the fact without re-installing everything else?
Anyone know of a SP2 rollback program?
Anyone know if the SP2 add/remove software option in control panel actually works?
Anyone?
Old 09-21-2004, 05:44 PM

Ducky,

Control Panel/Add or Remove Programs.

Scroll down, "Windows Service Pack 2" should be about the last item there. Just click it, then click "Remove." Voila, back to Service Pack 1.
ADA-8000
Old 09-22-2004, 09:03 PM

uninstalling sp2 via add/remove programs worked for me.

this is what i get for going ahead and installing sp2 on my new eMachines M6811 without checking the forum first. silly, silly me. so this is what penance feels like! i'd forgotten...