Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2004, 05:04 PM

Default Comments on \"other\" mics

I don't yet have a Rodes NTK (Yikes!) but I do have the Groove Tube GT-66 from Guitar Center. My guy there says there's not much difference in these two mics with the price being the same. I also use the AKG C3000B on some applications.

I'm in the process of upgrading my mics so comments and suggestions from past users of these mics are welcome. I'm going to ask about a couple other mics also.

In summary;

1.Should I keep the GT -66 or ebay and get the NTK ?
2.Is the C 3000B even worth keeping or ebay ?
3.For overheads and acoustic guitar- tell me something about Shure KSM -141's, yea or nay ?
4.Tell me something about Audio technica AT 4047? Worth $500 for female vox?
5.And last...U87 I want one but do I need it?

Remember..Upgrading is key word here not down or equal grading.
Thanks in advance.
Old 04-19-2004, 02:00 AM

Default Re: Comments on \"other\" mics

Come on, someone has used these mics before.
Old 04-19-2004, 02:22 AM

ok.....some opinions...

Get rid of the AKG. I have used it a few times, and this mic sounds weird. I am sure there are some uses for it, but i couldnt work with it.

The Rode NTK will give you that velvet layer with your sound that tube-mics do. I like that very much. Other people dont. If you dont like it, you could get the NT1000 wich is a bit similar, except no tubes.

Overheads and acoustic guitars...i havent used the Shure's, but i do use the Oktava MC-012 and man...those are cool little mics (albeit the qualitycontrol isnt up to par, so they have a bad record...other then that everyone loves their sound)

Bastiaan
Old 04-19-2004, 06:04 AM

Hi Keith.

It's only my opinion so here goes...

1. Keep the Gt66 AND buy the NTK.

2. Keep it. It's a good mic on certain things.

3. Don't know.

4. I have one and have recorded female singers with it. I like it. It is a very good mic when it's in its "zone". I am actually getting a second one.

5. I like the 87. If you have one you'll use it and love it.

But, what are the pre-amps you are using? Thay play quite a role in all of this.

My advice. Hire an 87. It may be all you need. If you buy one find you don't need the GT66 and AKG3000 then, send them off to ebay.

Haigbabe
Old 04-19-2004, 07:17 AM

Quote:

5. I like the 87. If you have one you'll use it and love it.

But, what are the pre-amps you are using? Thay play quite a role in all of this.

My advice. Hire an 87. It may be all you need. If you buy one find you don't need the GT66 and AKG3000 then, send them off to ebay.

Haigbabe

Haigbabe is on the drugs again...run away from the 87!!! I'm completely joking around here, Haig has helped me out before a lot. I've thought about getting the U 87 for a while, but have always gotten advice here that it may very well not be worth it. For me, it would mainly be used for VO male voices. For that price, you could probably get a mic of the same quality with $$$ left over for other goodies.

If you' re set on getting a mic in that range, find a store that will set some up for you so that you can listen to resulting recordings and see what you like. If you're spending that much cash, they should do it for you.