Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2022, 10:56 AM

Default Melodyne question re: multi-mic'd instrument

hey guys, a few years ago, i was unable to edit a multi mic'd instrument in Melodyne. The old workflow was to bounce out to a single track and then do the edits there.

Was wondering if this is still true in the new ARA implementation? I've got an upright bass that was recorded with two mics + DI, and I'd love to just nudge a few notes to a little better pitch. Would be cool if I could leave the decision on mic selection to the mix engineer. (I'm not mixing the track)

Thanks!

www.merlotembargo.com
Old 11-03-2022, 12:24 PM

Default Re: Melodyne question re: multi-mic'd instrument

Melodyne doesn't group between various tracks. You would have to have studio version to be able to grab the parts from multiple tracks and tweak things the exact same way. It might be possible, but it might be messy.

Do you have Melodyne Studio? I'm curious if it would work in this case.

Also, I wouldn't do timing changes within Melodyne as you can't group tracks. I don't know how it would do keeping phase relations moving things around. But.. you can now just nudge the clips that have Melodyne and the Melodyne information will move with it.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 11-03-2022, 02:13 PM

Yeah, I do have studio (both melo and PT haha)

It's been years since I tried this, but I thought I could only have one active (editable, orange) track at once, and the grayed out blobs were not editable.

Will give another check, but I wasn mainly curious if this was different in the ARA implementation, as I haven't used that too much yet.

THanks!

www.merlotembargo.com
Old 11-03-2022, 02:13 PM

I've read that Melodyne 4 had a copy/paste pitch feature which Celemony later took out. Thinking perhaps because of how Melodyne works, you could potentially end up with phasing issues if you applied the same pitch profile to multiple tracks of the same performance, and subsequently mixed them down to fewer tracks.
Old 11-03-2022, 02:41 PM

You really should dive in and test because this current incarnation allows for something very unique and new(I also have Melodyne 5 Studio). You can enable Melodyne on several tracks(as you could with version 4), but now you can select all of the tracks(in Melodyne) to show blobs in orange(which means editable) at the same time. I discovered this quite by accident last week. I'm not at my PT rig at the moment but I'm pretty sure I remember being able to double-click(to snap to pitch) and all the blobs snapped in that single command. Of course, doing the exact same edit is the only way to prevent phasing. Let us know what you find if you get to it before I do

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-03-2022, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
...You can enable Melodyne on several tracks(as you could with version 4), but now you can select all of the tracks(in Melodyne) to show blobs in orange(which means editable) at the same time...
This has been possible ever since 5 came out - in standalone and plug-in versions - just command click on as many of the orange "edit" indicators in the track headers and you can edit multiple tracks simultaneously.

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 11-03-2022, 11:28 PM

Is editing multiple tracks at the same time available in Melodyne Assistant as we have now in PT? If so, how do you get the tracks to show in the Melodyne window? Or do you have to upgrade to Studio for that capability?
Old 11-04-2022, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Breen View Post
This has been possible ever since 5 came out - in standalone and plug-in versions - just command click on as many of the orange "edit" indicators in the track headers and you can edit multiple tracks simultaneously.
I should add that since the analysis is gonna be slightly different for each track (unless it's stereo) in a multi-mic'd set, whether or not there's sufficient 'lock' between all the members of the set for transparent fixing will depend on the exact circusmstances - I wouldn't expect to be able to fix everything in this scenario, but it may be ok for the occasional note on a set of bass mics (for example).

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 11-04-2022, 08:00 AM

If you've got 2 mono tracks, copy them onto a stereo track and then switch on Melodyne edit (I've done this using the Melo plug for years with BASS DI/Bass Amp). If you've got 3 mono tracks I don't see why the same principle wouldn't apply, i.e. copy them onto a single LCR track and then edit on that track. Commit when done, split them back out again. Tuning all done on all 3 tracks at the same time, bingo buttons. I suppose if there's a massive time delay between the DI and the mics you might get into difficulties, but in my experience I've certainly never had a problem with tuning with one mic and one DI on a stereo track.
Old 11-04-2022, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightrambler View Post
If you've got 2 mono tracks, copy them onto a stereo track and then switch on Melodyne edit (I've done this using the Melo plug for years with BASS DI/Bass Amp). If you've got 3 mono tracks I don't see why the same principle wouldn't apply, i.e. copy them onto a single LCR track and then edit on that track. Commit when done, split them back out again. Tuning all done on all 3 tracks at the same time, bingo buttons. I suppose if there's a massive time delay between the DI and the mics you might get into difficulties, but in my experience I've certainly never had a problem with tuning with one mic and one DI on a stereo track.
Man. This is a smart solution. Cheers.