Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2009, 10:35 AM

Default D-Show Profile to control HD3 Rig?

Hi All, Can a D-show Profile be used to control an LE or HD rig? Can it be used without the FOH or Mix Rack as just a controller for PT?

Thanks
Midi I/O
Old 01-20-2009, 04:09 PM
Avid

Default Re: D-Show Profile to control HD3 Rig?

Quote:
Originally Posted by undergroundcubby View Post
Hi All, Can a D-show Profile be used to control an LE or HD rig? Can it be used without the FOH or Mix Rack as just a controller for PT?

Thanks
Hi, thanks for your question.

The VENUE system acts as the interface for Pro Tools via the HDx or FWx options. The D-Show and D-Show Profile control surfaces cannot be used as controllers for Pro Tools.

regards,
DigiFieldService
Old 01-21-2009, 08:53 PM

You know it would be pretty cool if there was a device that could be made to take a console link in and output the can bus from the console to ethernet. So that you could get control into an HD rig. I would think that if this interface existed, one would then only have to map the controls to the PT interface. It would be pretty cool to be able to use the surface on the road and then also to mix in a PT rig as well. Maybe one day....

Nicolas
Old 01-29-2009, 05:43 AM

The best way to do this is a GEFEN box that allows you to send USB and VIDEO remotely. I design a lot of systems and do this for many designs where they don't have someone to run/control the ProTools system. Having the ability to control it from within the console would scare me.....one wrong button, you might shut your recording down.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:49 AM

Post/Studio mixing on the VENUE can work pretty well, even though it can't necessarily be a PT controller. But you can send your PT channels over to the console, and then mix from the console back to PT. This means you'd be using console plugins rather than plugins in PT, but if you have LE like us, that's not a bad thing. We have much better stuff on the console than we have in LE.

I've had some really nice results doing this, and it's a lot faster than starting fresh on a post mix with a mouse and a DAW. I can turn a 2 hour service into a nice post mix in about 2 1/2 hours.

And since your PT faders just sit at 0, you can save the mix parameters on the console, and easily pick up where you left off.

I don't think you can do this without an FOH or Mix rack, however.