How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2008, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockpolice View Post
I thought it's possible to mix the groups in the same way?

EDIT: Oh now I understand. Tried it first time with the standalone software. I always thought it behaved the same way as groups. Cool to be a thing wiser again=).
The Variable groups are something between an aux and a subgroup, as it's turning out. You can adjust the send to the group like an aux (though I've yet to come up with a reason for it to be anything other than 0db,) but after that, the send behaves like a subgroup, meaning you can insert plugs on it and route it to L&R. Also, the group can be mono, or linked (in odd-even pairs) as stereo groups. So you can insert a plug on a mono bass group, then insert a plug on a pair of stereo guitar groups right next to it.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmadix View Post
The Variable groups are something between an aux and a subgroup, as it's turning out. You can adjust the send to the group like an aux (though I've yet to come up with a reason for it to be anything other than 0db,) but after that, the send behaves like a subgroup, meaning you can insert plugs on it and route it to L&R. Also, the group can be mono, or linked (in odd-even pairs) as stereo groups. So you can insert a plug on a mono bass group, then insert a plug on a pair of stereo guitar groups right next to it.
I did think of a point in having a variable send to the variable groups, though I've yet to implement it. Perhaps you're using an aux as a feed to subs. It might be more straightforward to use a variable group, especially if you would like to process that send (compress, eq, whatever.) This also gives you a more direct way to get that send into a matrix. I was reading in another post (that I can't find right now) that someone was having difficulty with the low end on their board mixes because they were driving the subs with an auxiliary. It would be pretty simple to feed a recorder with a matrix (I prefer using the PQ sends for this, as they're stereo to begin with) and feed the sub send back into it, maybe with the low end tidied up.

It might come in useful for surround sound or delay sends, as well, for the same reasons. I know we fed front fills with a vocal-heavy matrix, but this required some jumping through hoops. It would have been much more straightforward using the variable groups and a PQ mix for the feed.

Brad
Old 07-31-2008, 12:22 PM

I'm currently using variable groups w/VCA's. I control the group faders with VCA's, and leave group faders at 0db.

I only use groups when I want to add processing to a group of channels. Thus, I simply use a stereo group for clean drums (very soft compression), a stereo group for compressed drums, and a mono group for bgv's. I prefer the stereo group for drums so that I can insert one stereo plugin as opposed to 2 mono plugins.

Also, one thing that is very nice about variable groups is that your sends to groups are controlled with a knob like your auxes are. So instead of just sending things to a group at 0db, you can send them at whatever volume you want. This is great for parallel drum compression. If I send my kick, snare, and skins to my drum comp group at 0db, the kick tends to trigger the comp too much. With variable groups you can get the exact blend of instruments you want in that group. If you feel like something is a little too compressed, you can just pull up your variable group sends, and trim it back a bit. It's quite handy for any parallel compression/processing needs.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshRose View Post
I'm currently using variable groups w/VCA's. I control the group faders with VCA's, and leave group faders at 0db.
So what do you get by using the VCA's over just using the group faders?

Dave
Old 08-12-2008, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshRose View Post

I only use groups when I want to add processing to a group of channels. Thus, I simply use a stereo group for clean drums (very soft compression), a stereo group for compressed drums, and a mono group for bgv's. I prefer the stereo group for drums so that I can insert one stereo plugin as opposed to 2 mono plugins.

Also, one thing that is very nice about variable groups is that your sends to groups are controlled with a knob like your auxes are. So instead of just sending things to a group at 0db, you can send them at whatever volume you want. This is great for parallel drum compression. If I send my kick, snare, and skins to my drum comp group at 0db, the kick tends to trigger the comp too much. With variable groups you can get the exact blend of instruments you want in that group. If you feel like something is a little too compressed, you can just pull up your variable group sends, and trim it back a bit. It's quite handy for any parallel compression/processing needs.
I think this is a great application for the variable groups, and one I've been using myself lately. I like soft compression on one pair of drum groups and mixing in a really crushed pair of drum groups along with it. Like you pointed out, if you feel like somethings hitting the very crushed group too hard, you can back it out a bit without affecting the pair that's compressed more softly.

The VCA's will ride the entire drum section in and out of both sets of groups at the same time.

Brad
Old 08-13-2008, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmadix View Post
The VCA's will ride the entire drum section in and out of both sets of groups at the same time.
OK, now that makes sense to me.

I like the variable group idea related to the parallel comp stuff--I might have to try that...

Dave
Old 09-01-2008, 09:45 AM

Default Re: Stereo Groups or Mono Poll

Anyone know if the seminar by Scovill mentioned earlier is available for online viewing?
Old 09-02-2008, 06:39 AM

It is not, this was the Complete FOH seminar he conducts through Audio Seminars not through Digi. I would highly suggest the next time it is offered attending.

www.audioseminars.com
Old 09-02-2008, 07:15 AM

The question is when is the next time it is offered?
Old 09-02-2008, 11:39 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Henry View Post
The question is when is the next time it is offered?
Hi Eric --
We're always looking for good opportunities to present this three day class. As you can imagine it can be quite a dance between my schedule and the schedule of the place where we put it on -- also measured against how many people plan to attend in order to make the efforts worthwhile.
We are still looking at dates this year -- stay in touch with the audioseminars.com web site for details as they become available.

Thanks!
Robert Scovill