Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2008, 09:11 PM

Default Clocks? What are you guys using?

Hey guys,

Just curious about what people are using as external clocks for their Venue systems. I just read on PSW about the BigBen.
I'm a big fan of Mytek converters, maybe I'll test their clock.

Are you guys using any of these?

thanks
Gil
Old 07-24-2008, 12:47 PM

I'm using a Big Ben and have been since 12/05. I would suggest trying one out in your environment first. I'm in a fixed install with SLS speakers and LabGruppen amps. I've actually tried it with other systems that use a Venue and haven't heard as pronounced a difference. Even though I own one I don't think that I would bother if I were out doing Tom Petty or Metallica. I would think that the noise floor of the audience alone would drown out any signal to noise benefit that is gained with an external clock. I would rather spend the money on another card or more plugs.

Erik
Old 07-24-2008, 06:04 PM

Hey Erik,

thanks for the response.
This systems is, or will be a permanent install at a church. We are still deciding on speakers, right now, Kudos are on the table, but SLS is also an option.
Luckly I have access to a few different clock generators. Maybe I'll just bring 2 or 3 in and test all of them and see if I notice a big difference.

BTW, which SLS boxes are you running?
thanks
Gil
Old 07-24-2008, 09:55 PM

I would run with the Kudos. I'm guessing that we ended up as a test facility for a failed SLS cabinet because I went to their sight to look up the exact model that we have and it's not there. It is a three-way with a 15" a 10" and a ribbon, was supposed to be new two years ago. If you're checking out their line array good luck. They always seem to sound good at the NAMM show.

Erik
Old 07-30-2008, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emluper View Post
I'm using a Big Ben and have been since 12/05. I would suggest trying one out in your environment first. I'm in a fixed install with SLS speakers and LabGruppen amps. I've actually tried it with other systems that use a Venue and haven't heard as pronounced a difference. Even though I own one I don't think that I would bother if I were out doing Tom Petty or Metallica. I would think that the noise floor of the audience alone would drown out any signal to noise benefit that is gained with an external clock. I would rather spend the money on another card or more plugs.

Erik
That's a fair comment, actually. The ambient noise floor during a rock concert is pretty high, and when the crowd screams in a hockey rink... well, noise floor ain't your problem!
Old 07-30-2008, 04:43 PM

Makes sense.
This is a church install where the music is contemporary, but not heavy. I'll try it out with a few different ones and hopefully post here.
It is still at least 6 months away, lets see if I'll remember this. :)

take care
Gil