Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2022, 08:52 PM

Default Which Mac Tower is best for the TDM parts I have now?

I’m Looking for the best Apple tower to run with the following TDM bits I have been collecting: PCIe cards ( HD Core, HD Accel, and Accel Core). Two Avid 96 I/O 8x8 units, Protools HD 9, and a stack of memory and two cards to expand it with (4GB 2RX4 and some 2GB 2RX4)

And a Presonus Digimax 8 channel pre with light pipe to use for drumming mics and running the mix for drums down one light pipe to the protools rig

I own a G5 PCIe model M9590 Dual core 2.0

https://everymac.com/systems/apple/p..._dual_2.0.html

Can I make this G5 work well? Do I need an expansion chassis for this Mac or should I use a newer Mac Tower and which ones work best with the old system I’m putting together.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for the best Apple tower to run with the following TDM bits I have been collecting: PCIe cards ( HD Core, HD Accel, and Accel Core). Two Avid 96 I/O 8x8 units, Protools HD 9, and a stack of memory and two cards to expand it with (4GB 2RX4 and some 2GB 2RX4)

Any advice on additional pieces to pick up to make the system work? Well would be most appreciated. I’m not clear if I need a PCI-e expansion box too or not ??

Thanks!
Quaker Off-roader
Old 12-27-2022, 02:17 AM

Default Re: Which Mac Tower is best for the TDM parts I have now?

Get a 2009 4,1 or 2010 5,1 Mac Pro, should work well with your hardware components

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIA...Rnu0Jfh-YsgftQ
Old 12-27-2022, 03:14 AM

What are you trying to do?

Is the ability to monitor through TDM plugins really worth putting up with all this old gear? To put up with 32-bit memory limits? And not having all the other features of modern Pro Tools? Or better sounding converters in modern interfaces?

Why not just buy a CoreAudio interface and a modern Apple silicon Mac and a current version of Pro Tools Studio (not Ultimate)?

If you really want to do this start by throwing that Power Mac as far as you can.

If I had fallen and hit my head and was going to build this as a tracking rig I would get a later model Intel Cheesegrater as suggested above. Maybe upgrade the CPU(s). Get the latest boot ROM images in it, add SSD/NVMe boot drives in PCIe slot adapters (I cannot recall the PCIe slot configs, you have to check slot budgets). Might install a USB 3.x card if needed. Maybe update the GPU, install the last version of Pro Tools 10 HD on it (and running the latest version of macOS supported/easy to install, buy a used HD 10 license. Work out what TDM Intel plugins you can still purchase/obtain. Etc.

Or sell all that museumware on eBay and buy a nice little third party CoreAudio interface and a new Apple silicon Mac.
Old 12-27-2022, 03:54 AM

Default Which Mac Tower is best for the TDM parts I have now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
If I had fallen and hit my head and was going to build this as a tracking rig...
HAHAHAHA!

Old 12-28-2022, 03:34 PM

I’m trying to set up a decent quality tracking system for 16 tracks or more to donate to a youth organization for musicians in our city.

I do think that having young people work through the challenges of using an older TDM system will only give them better skills if they can get their hands on a more modern tracking system.

It would be for tracking, live music, not sampling, and all other elements of music production.

I don’t have the fiscal resources to donate a modern system as is being described. I do think it’s reasonable to affordably put together 16 tracks of a TDM system. Please let me know if this is not correct.

Thanks!
Quaker Off-road

Looking for the best Apple tower to run with the following TDM bits I have been collecting: PCIe cards ( HD Core, HD Accel, and Accel Core). Two Avid 96 I/O 8x8 units, Protools HD 9, and a stack of memory and two cards to expand it with (4GB 2RX4 and some 2GB 2RX4)

Any advice on additional pieces to pick up to make the system work? Well would be most appreciated. I’m not clear if I need a PCI-e expansion box too or not ??

Thanks!
Quaker Off-roader
Old 01-05-2023, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerOffroad View Post
I’m Looking for the best Apple tower to run with the following TDM bits I have been collecting: PCIe cards ( HD Core, HD Accel, and Accel Core). Two Avid 96 I/O 8x8 units, Protools HD 9, and a stack of memory and two cards to expand it with (4GB 2RX4 and some 2GB 2RX4)

And a Presonus Digimax 8 channel pre with light pipe to use for drumming mics and running the mix for drums down one light pipe to the protools rig

I own a G5 PCIe model M9590 Dual core 2.0

https://everymac.com/systems/apple/p..._dual_2.0.html

Can I make this G5 work well? Do I need an expansion chassis for this Mac or should I use a newer Mac Tower and which ones work best with the old system I’m putting together.

Thanks!

PT9 is not PPC compatible. You will not get that version of PT to work with your G5. Get a Mac Pro 4.1 or a 5.1, the proper Mac OS which I think is Snow Leopard and that should all work.

www.sugarhillstudios713.com
Old 01-05-2023, 07:01 PM

Hi, welcome to the community.

Just that you know, low post count and tapatalk is a troublesome combination. Please only post once, the post goes to manual approval for now.
Old 01-06-2023, 07:15 AM

s.d Finley Thanks! I was able pick up a better option off EBay. Next I should have the following Apple tower in hand to work with:

Apple Mac Pro A1289 Quad Core Xeon W3540 2.93GHz, 2 x 500GB HDD 32GB RAM

I believe this one meets the requirements you described.

Thanks!
Quaker Off-roader
Old 01-20-2023, 12:41 AM

I picked up a very reasonably priced Mac Pro 4,1 with 32 GB memory and two 500 gb drives.

I just tried to install the HD core card and the other two cards but the Available width is about 1/2 to 1 inch too narrow to install the 3 PCI-e style cards. I’ll start googling , but I am IMG_6937.jpg
assuming the slots in the Mac Pro 4,1 are not going to work with my HD PCI-e cards.

Thanks for any help.

Thanks!
Quaker Off-roader
Old 01-20-2023, 06:51 PM

I posted a question about why the PCIe Protools cards were so long and not fitting. I found the answer to that question and the unique way the 2209/2010 Mac Pro towers have their fans move to accommodate the very long Protools cards.

Thanks!
Quaker Off-roader