Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 01-26-2023, 12:03 PM

Default Alt 5.1 mix via HDMI?

I have a question about sending an additional 5.1 monitor output from our system. Currently we are running PT Ultimate with a MTRX Studio and a Mac Mini. Monitoring is configured using some of the analog outputs from the MTRX. We would also like to send the 5.1 mix out into the studio along with a video monitor output from the Mac mini via HDMI. Is it possible to set this up using the AUX I/O feature? The HDMI cable is running to an Extron podium system that has a surround processor that feeds speakers in that studio space. I’ve been told that the audio signal has to travel on that HDMI cable to get into the Extron system. They haven’t provided any other way to bring it in.

I’ve done this with my laptop with a stereo signal using PT Studio. The system with the MTRX involves DADman and a 5.1 mix and thus I’m not sure if it’s as simple.
Old 01-26-2023, 07:10 PM

Default Re: Alt 5.1 mix via HDMI?

Sending digital surround means you need to encode it on your alt.master (not sending discrete channels)
Old 01-26-2023, 09:14 PM

Default Re: Alt 5.1 mix via HDMI?

Heres a possible solution.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/pro...pecs/W-DLUS-13

Then use Aux I/O to setup another set of outputs routed to Blackmagic device

HDMI Audio Outputs 8 Channels embedded in SD/HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschmit View Post
I have a question about sending an additional 5.1 monitor output from our system. Currently we are running PT Ultimate with a MTRX Studio and a Mac Mini. Monitoring is configured using some of the analog outputs from the MTRX. We would also like to send the 5.1 mix out into the studio along with a video monitor output from the Mac mini via HDMI. Is it possible to set this up using the AUX I/O feature? The HDMI cable is running to an Extron podium system that has a surround processor that feeds speakers in that studio space. I’ve been told that the audio signal has to travel on that HDMI cable to get into the Extron system. They haven’t provided any other way to bring it in.

I’ve done this with my laptop with a stereo signal using PT Studio. The system with the MTRX involves DADman and a 5.1 mix and thus I’m not sure if it’s as simple.