Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 10-19-2022, 12:07 AM

Default Re: doubling with duplicate track

Definitely on the same page as albee1952. All good and practical advice from everyone.

Tracking a second live performance by actually playing along with the first one creates a natural chorusing effect that sounds suhhhWEET.
When the double tracking is tight (yet human) and things are smooth & in phase, it adds a natural harmonic enhancement that no amount of editing can add.

I also understand that sometimes it's late and your just working with the tracks available inside PT.

If possible, use a different sounding but complementary guitar for the second track. Or a slightly different tone.
You can also create a rich sound by using MEDIUM gain* for each track.
The two tracks will combine to create a richer, more dynamic level of gain; with more clarity & girth.

*When recording with distorted guitar tones

If double tracking a clean & arpeggiated (broken chord) part, try this:

Using the same guitar, record one track in neck position & the other track in bridge position.
This combines the fullness & warmth of the neck position with the articulation and clarity of the bridge position.

Just some extra tips on combining two tones that are different yet compliment each other in a musical way.

Pro Tools Studio 2022.7|Windows 10 22H2|Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (2nd Gen)|Dell Inspiron 3650|Intel i5 6th gen|16GB RAM|Samsung T5 SSD's|Hitachi|Touro HDD

Toontrack EZdrummer 3|Steven Slate Drums 5.5 + Blackbird Studio EX|Spectrasonics Trilian|Native Instruments Guitar Rig 6

Waves|SSL Native|Fabfilter|Softube|Soundtoys|Nomad Factory

Last edited by take77; 10-19-2022 at 11:16 PM.
Old 10-19-2022, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by take77 View Post
If possible, use a different sounding but complementary guitar for the second track. Or a slightly different tone.
We're talking about double tracking here. Used to be called 'dubbing'.
The definition is, or at least used to be: two identical recordings with only the slight variations that comes with imperfections in the performance.
Actually, most times they were not panned to make a wide stereo at all, but panned together to make a fat sound.

Quote:
You can also create a rich sound by using MEDIUM gain for each track.
The two tracks will combine to create a richer, more dynamic level of gain; with more clarity & girth.
????
What do you mean, 'medium gain'?

Quote:
If double tracking a clean & arpeggiated (broken chord) part, try this:
Using the same guitar, record one track in neck position & the other track in bridge position.
This combines the fullness & warmth of the neck position with the articulation and clarity of the bridge position.
The OP was talking about eletric guitar.

Don't make it more complicated than it needs to be. Especially when we are helping out a newbie.
Old 10-19-2022, 04:49 AM

Hi Ben,

I do apologize for my "OED".

Over Expressive Disorder (to the extent of being totally off point).

You guys can disregard my take77 tangent.

Pro Tools Studio 2022.7|Windows 10 22H2|Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (2nd Gen)|Dell Inspiron 3650|Intel i5 6th gen|16GB RAM|Samsung T5 SSD's|Hitachi|Touro HDD

Toontrack EZdrummer 3|Steven Slate Drums 5.5 + Blackbird Studio EX|Spectrasonics Trilian|Native Instruments Guitar Rig 6

Waves|SSL Native|Fabfilter|Softube|Soundtoys|Nomad Factory

Last edited by take77; 10-19-2022 at 11:21 PM.