Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 01-10-2009, 02:11 PM

Default Voices versus Stereo tracks

I have Pro Tools LE, Windows XP, MBox 2, Pentium IV processor, 1Gigabyte of RAM, and 160 Gigabyte harddrive.

Here is the situation. In ProTools LE I have recorded 15 audio tracks and I also inserted a clck mono track which gives me 16 tracks. When I insert track 17 a message pops up that says "There are more active audio tracks than available voices. As a result, one or more audio tracks will not play." So... track 17 will not record or play. Then I looked in the Protools reference guide and it says that I am allowed only 16 stereo tracks maximum, but 128 voiceable tracks maximum. What is the difference between a voiceable track and a track? And is it possible for me to record and play(play simultaneously) more than 16 tracks in Protools LE?
Old 01-10-2009, 02:25 PM

Default Re: Voices versus Stereo tracks

So all your audio tracks are stereo......why? What is on all those tracks that makes you believe they all need to be stereo? It is a common misconception among those that are new to recording, that audio must be recorded to a stereo track to be used in a stereo mix and that is simply not true. Stereo refers to the output so a vocal, bass guitar, bass drum, etc, being a mono signal, would be recorded to a mono track and then PANNED within the stereo field. You would use a stereo audio track for recording a stereo keyboard or drum machine. In any case, by disabling voices(audio tracks) you can continue to add more audio tracks but you can only listen to 32 voices at a time(a stereo audio track= 2 voices). A common workaround is to buss similar things to a new comp track(like when I bussed 14 BGV tracks to a stereo track and then disabled the original 14 tracks). If you upgrade to PT8, you will be able to run 48 tracks(mono OR stereo).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-10-2009, 02:36 PM

Wow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB1978 View Post
In ProTools LE I have recorded 15 audio tracks and I also inserted a clck mono track which gives me 16 tracks.
Why are you using an audio track for the click? I'm assuming you are using the Pro Tools click plugin? You can use that on a mono aux track and not use up a voice at all.
Quote:
When I insert track 17 a message pops up that says "There are more active audio tracks than available voices. As a result, one or more audio tracks will not play." So... track 17 will not record or play. Then I looked in the Protools reference guide and it says that I am allowed only 16 stereo tracks maximum, but 128 voiceable tracks maximum. What is the difference between a voiceable track and a track?
To understand this, you need to understand what a voince is. A "voice" is an audio channel. Mono tracks have one voice. Stereo tracks have two voices.

Older versions of Pro Tools had a limitation on how many active/audible voices; 32. Since stereo tracks are 2 voices, that means that limitation for stereo tracks is 16.

Pro Tools allows you to have up to 128 voices recorded, but only 32 of them can be active (playing back audio through the outputs) at one time.

I'm assuming you are not using the current version of the software (8.0) as it has eliminated this restriction, and allows you to use 48 tracks, no matter if they are mono or stereo.

Quote:
And is it possible for me to record and play(play simultaneously) more than 16 tracks in Protools LE?
It depends on what numeric version of Pro Tools you are using. Stereo tracks in any version before 8.0? No. In some of hte later versions, you can purchase the Music Production toolkit to remove the voice limitation and expand it to 48 tracks, but you didn't mention which numeric version you are using.

I would also like to ask; why are you using stereo tracks? Are you recording stereo instruments? Like Keyboards?

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 01-10-2009, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
So all your audio tracks are stereo......why? What is on all those tracks that makes you believe they all need to be stereo? It is a common misconception among those that are new to recording, that audio must be recorded to a stereo track to be used in a stereo mix and that is simply not true. Stereo refers to the output so a vocal, bass guitar, bass drum, etc, being a mono signal, would be recorded to a mono track and then PANNED within the stereo field. You would use a stereo audio track for recording a stereo keyboard or drum machine. In any case, by disabling voices(audio tracks) you can continue to add more audio tracks but you can only listen to 32 voices at a time(a stereo audio track= 2 voices). A common workaround is to buss similar things to a new comp track(like when I bussed 14 BGV tracks to a stereo track and then disabled the original 14 tracks). If you upgrade to PT8, you will be able to run 48 tracks(mono OR stereo).
How do you pan a mono track in the stereo field? With stereo tracks I can pan them equally-opposite of each other. For example: 10 to the left and ten to the right or far left and far right. If I pan a mono track then more of the signal is either to the right or to the left of the stereo field and not both sides equally.

I have PT LE 7.4
Old 01-10-2009, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spkguitar View Post
Wow.

Why are you using an audio track for the click? I'm assuming you are using the Pro Tools click plugin? You can use that on a mono aux track and not use up a voice at all. To understand this, you need to understand what a voince is. A "voice" is an audio channel. Mono tracks have one voice. Stereo tracks have two voices.

Older versions of Pro Tools had a limitation on how many active/audible voices; 32. Since stereo tracks are 2 voices, that means that limitation for stereo tracks is 16.

Pro Tools allows you to have up to 128 voices recorded, but only 32 of them can be active (playing back audio through the outputs) at one time.

I'm assuming you are not using the current version of the software (8.0) as it has eliminated this restriction, and allows you to use 48 tracks, no matter if they are mono or stereo.

It depends on what numeric version of Pro Tools you are using. Stereo tracks in any version before 8.0? No. In some of hte later versions, you can purchase the Music Production toolkit to remove the voice limitation and expand it to 48 tracks, but you didn't mention which numeric version you are using.

I would also like to ask; why are you using stereo tracks? Are you recording stereo instruments? Like Keyboards?
I'm using an audio track for the click because when I use and aux I get no sound output. I am using PTLE 7.4 and also I am recording vocal tracks.
Old 01-10-2009, 04:15 PM

Quote:
I'm using an audio track for the click because when I use and aux I get no sound output. I am using PTLE 7.4 and also I am recording vocal tracks.
Are you sure you turned the volume up on the aux track? Are you using the click plugin?

Honestly, using the click plugin on an aux track is the recommended way to use the click plugin, and I've done it in every single session since the click plugin was introduced.

If you are using a mono source (such as vocals... ONE microphone = mono), center panning is equal in both sides of the stereo field. (this is audio 101 here...). If you're using stereo tracks for mono sources, how are you assigning the inputs? How are you recording two voices (stereo) when only one is present (one mic = mono voice)?

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 01-10-2009, 04:37 PM

Let us not be a dick to this guy. He came on asking for help, like he was invited to. When some one lacks knowledge, they don't have a very good idea of where they can receive what they lack.
Pro tools is a very difficult system to learn. I know, I have been at it for 7 years and there are still aspects that I don't understand.
Old 01-10-2009, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spkguitar View Post
Are you sure you turned the volume up on the aux track? Are you using the click plugin?

Honestly, using the click plugin on an aux track is the recommended way to use the click plugin, and I've done it in every single session since the click plugin was introduced.

If you are using a mono source (such as vocals... ONE microphone = mono), center panning is equal in both sides of the stereo field. (this is audio 101 here...). If you're using stereo tracks for mono sources, how are you assigning the inputs? How are you recording two voices (stereo) when only one is present (one mic = mono voice)?
I'll have to play with that click track some more. But anyway, my input to the MBox is stereo, because all my instruments are routed through a mixer before it hits the MBox. This gives me more channels than the MBox; the MBox only having two channels. That is how I assign stereo inputs. However, I'm gonna consider trying mono. Thanks!
Old 01-10-2009, 05:24 PM

Hello,

You should get someone to help you understand signal routing. You have many options for routing a mono signal to your mbox. Try using a send or a bus from your mixer to your mbox. In most cases you won't be recording stereo unless it's keyboards, drum overheads, the occasional stereo guitar rig or some room mics. Pretty much everything else will be mono. You should do some reading or get some help from an experienced engineer. There are some basic audio principles that are you need to learn to get the most from your equipment as well as you'll enjoy the process even more.

Good Luck!

Alex
Old 01-10-2009, 06:14 PM

Check out your local Barnes and Noble or other bookstore and grab a book on recording techniques to get you started(and don't feel bad about not knowing stuff as I have been in the pro audio biz for 25 years and I am still learning, so don't take offense at the "audio 101" comment). Once you get some basic understanding, things will come easier. The next step should be watching every video you can get your hands on, from Secrets of the Pros DVD's, DigiTV(free) and even search youtube for "protools" (without the quotes) as there is a lot of stuff out there.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave