Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2010, 03:17 PM

Default Instrument track doesn't play!?

I'm on latest PT8 for G5 and there is a problem with instrument tracks that just refuse to play. Everything is as it should, it's not inactive and there are voices available but there is no sound out of the instrument track.

The only way to get it to work that I have found is to duplicate the track and then the duplicate will work so I can delete the original. I seldom use VI's at all but today when I needed them I was running into a range of problems.

Another one was with the sudden large amount of delay reported by Mini Grand. That was again fixed with duplication and deleting of the original.

The third was sticking notes that kept playing even when I totally disabled the plugin. Where is the panic button for VI's?
Old 02-22-2010, 03:41 PM

Default Re: Instrument track doesn't play!?

I have had the same issue forever and stopped using instrument tracks. Always use a stereo aux, load the instrument on that and trigger from a midi channel. This will resolve the issue. Is it right that we have to do this? No. But at least it is a solution.
http://www.fishertheband.com
Mac Pro (Late 2013) 3.5 GHz 6-core Intel Xeon E5 - 32 GB Ram / 1TB Flash Storage - Avid HD I/O - Latest Mac OS - HDX3 - Latest PT Version.
Old 02-22-2010, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronwasserman View Post
I have had the same issue forever and stopped using instrument tracks. Always use a stereo aux, load the instrument on that and trigger from a midi channel. This will resolve the issue. Is it right that we have to do this? No. But at least it is a solution.
ohh well...
Old 02-22-2010, 04:20 PM

Have you tried trashing the Apple MIDI setup files? Doing that has solved some weird MIDI behavior on my system. If you don't already have it, here's a link to a great little app that can get rid of 'em (along with PT preferences and databases):
http://www.jcdeshaies.com/

-------------------------------------------

'Wave of the future, Dude. One hundred percent electronic.' -- J. Treehorn
Old 02-22-2010, 05:16 PM

Same problem from time to time.....the never ending story about midi and Digi - not a happy marriage....unfortunately.

I use the same solution - duplicate track and erase.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:23 PM

Me too. Had to revisit a VI to punch into the end-piece. The VI track Was A Royal Pain to give/get any signal from. I ended restarting the whole rig (40 seconds of downtime in a ten hour day over a little Xpand2 patch). Not a big deal - but I am glad I'm not the only one.

System was an 8.0.3 / 10.5.8 / HD3 / Nehalem / 8 GB RAM, Permissions repaired 10 hours before, pref's reset 25 hours before, no Assertion errors, no pop-ups of any kind - just a ceased output of MIDI. Inserting other plugs, other VI's, making the track / plug / I/O didn't make any difference. Changing I/O and setting the VI track didn't help. Neither did duplicating the track both with the playlist and without (and manually copying the MIDI) - no avail. Full system restart cured it. Not a great way for me to tell what it was.

System Arrived 10.5.x almost a year ago and I combo updated it to 10.5.8. About 8-10 months ago. Databases for other drives get deleted at every boot, and the pref-tool stays locked in the Dock next to the PT app icon. I've been the only user in this suite for the last three days. Only drive connected (and session being run from) a Glyph GT-160q on the FW800 buss. Playback was 96/2-DSP, ADC set to short. My click tracks (bell and shaker) are always tick-based. No funky plugs in session (or in the folder). No Melodyne inthe session. Session was about 50 tracks, not a lot of EA (some drums had already been rendered) - session originated here; not an outside shop. System is set to never sleep - but screensaver will come on after about 20 minutes. System sound pref is set to internal Mac speaker (1/8" to TT cable feeding a stereo input on Control24).

This was the only MIDI/Vi track in the session.

Toggles between 64 and 128 buffer. No difference. Playback is set to 7/8 processors, 85% CPU. That's my usual.

What now? Did I leave anything out?
Old 02-23-2010, 10:21 AM
Avid

Are you at any point putting a different VI on a track that had a VI instanciated at some point?

When you encounter this problem, what is the MIDI output of the track set to? It should be going to the VI instance and correct MIDI channel number. The times I've seen this occur - that setting is incorrect and it's usually caused by having multiple VI's on a track.
Old 02-18-2014, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS-DK View Post
Same problem from time to time.....the never ending story about midi and Digi - not a happy marriage....unfortunately.

I use the same solution - duplicate track and erase.
Very old topic, but I'm having this same problem with 11.1.2! Sometimes some midi instrument tracks don't work when the session is reloaded. Then I duplicate muted tracks and duplicated tracks are immediately fine.
Old 02-18-2014, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P_J View Post
Very old topic, but I'm having this same problem with 11.1.2! Sometimes some midi instrument tracks don't work when the session is reloaded. Then I duplicate muted tracks and duplicated tracks are immediately fine.
Hi,

Its usually a simple case of going to the instruments view and re assigning the midi output to the instrument!

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.