Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 02-20-2010, 11:01 AM

Default Boom!

I want to dedicate this thread to all things BOOM!

I just downloaded pt8 yesterday and spent all night on it. After getting over the initial shock of how "Logicky" it is, I found some very cool upgrades and usable tools. Not the least of which is Boom.

First of all, is there any video tutorials or manuals for this plug. I want to get to know the ins and outs.

Here's my problems so far.

1) I can't figure out how to automate it. I need it to start and stop when and where I tell it to as well as switch up the pattern at specific times. I thought it would be as easy as putting it on an instrument track and using midi notes to control it but I haven't got that happening yet. Any tips.

2) Is there a way to import external sounds. It's got a pretty decent set of drums sounds but I need more modern snares. Please tell me it's not limited to the six or so that are in the drop down menus???

3) As far as sound editing goes... Well, I guess I just need the manual. It's not very intuitive.

Thanks for any help, please feel free to post any of your own questions or tips and tricks in this thread.
Old 02-20-2010, 11:12 AM

Default Re: Boom!

Digi/Avid & AIR Users Blog have some nice tutorial vids:

http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?...0&itemid=27606

http://airusersblog.squarespace.com/...duleId=5204883

Unfortunately, no way to import sounds AFAIK. The included ones, though, are surprisingly versatile, especially when used with certain effects, I've found. Cheers

-------------------------------------------

'Wave of the future, Dude. One hundred percent electronic.' -- J. Treehorn
Old 02-20-2010, 05:31 PM

Thank you. That REALLY helps.
Old 02-20-2010, 05:51 PM

A little Roland TR rhythm composer history explains a lot about Boom. It is very simple, the only complexity should be the patterns one creates IMO.

filosofem
Old 02-21-2010, 02:04 PM

Don't forget about the swing adjuster, which can really make the program sound a lot more "human" (I often use just a bit -- up to around 10-15% or so, to pretty good effect). The little "screw" knobs also can make a fairly big difference in the sounds of the instruments (particularly the snares).

-------------------------------------------

'Wave of the future, Dude. One hundred percent electronic.' -- J. Treehorn
Old 02-21-2010, 06:54 PM

Alright, I got it working now.

Looks like I can't import my own sounds :-(

But the screws and tone knobs go a long way towards making it more flexible.

I'm having a few problems that may or may not be related to Boom.

1) I have to create a midi track and assign it to boom to automate it. The midi notes on the instrument track are just greyed out and they down do anything.

2) When I'm working on a midi track at first everything is cool but when I double click the magnifying glass to view the whole session the midi track gets really fat... Ummm, horizontally challenged. In medium view I can only see three or four notes instead of the dozen or so I can usually see.

3) When the midi note ends boom keeps going.
Old 02-21-2010, 06:59 PM

/Digidesign/Documentation.

filosofem
Old 02-22-2010, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filosofem View Post
/Digidesign/Documentation.

filosofem
Have you actually tried digidesign/documentation???

It takes you on a bad acid trip where you will find absolutely nothing useful pertaining to Boom or said instrument track/midi problems.

Digidesign.com is an absolute cluster fest... That's why I come here to the duc. There's some very helpful people who will take time to answer even dumb questions because they know they had a lot of dumb questions at one point too.
Old 02-22-2010, 05:22 PM

I dont know if this is what you are looking for but heres how I have come to work with BOOM

I will create an instrument track and switch to notes view.

Make your track height 'medium' or 'large' and set it so you can see middle C at the lowest of the range. this will correspond to boom pattern 1, out of the 16 you can create.

using your pencil tool, just mark on the track what pattern you want to hear, it will appear as a small bubble or dash. Each pencil mark represents one pattern of boom.

Another way to do it is to record enable the same track, an play along with the song using your midi controller to trigger the patterns, at what point you can play as little or as much of the pattern you desire. the sequencer in boom follows the track so whatever pattern you choose at whatever beat, will be in time and in sequence with the corresponding Boom pattern.

The tutorial on Digidesign site (or on youtube too) is pretty solid and helped me get started.

Dont think of a snare as a 'snare'. Try really really twisting those knobs until ALL your sounds are no more than blips, beeps or sub frequency hits. try to get out of the box and dont worry about what its 'supposed' to do but what YOU can do with it and HAVE FUN!
Old 02-22-2010, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul David View Post
Have you actually tried digidesign/documentation?
The location of the documentation is Librarian/Digidesign/Documentation. For Win it's Local Disk:\Program Files\Digidesign\Documentation. This issue you are having can be covered in the Creative Collection Plug-In Guide.

filosofem