Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2000, 11:20 PM

Default HEY! SPDIF ?

I cannot get the spdif in to work when using my sony TCD-D7 Dat Player. The out works fine (but in the output selection menu it reads not available.) I cannot get the in to work, and I do not have another DAT player to test it on. Any suggestions? I know that the cable does some sort of 7 pin to rca connection type conversion, but it works one way. Anyone else having problems with spdif in?

Paul

[This message has been edited by o'clancey (edited February 01, 2000).]
Old 01-31-2000, 03:06 AM

Default Re: HEY! SPDIF ?

I read in Sound on Sound that Sony uses a proprietary digital format called sdif (*not a typo) that is SUPPOSED to be compatible with s/pdif with the right connection adapter
Old 01-31-2000, 06:01 AM

Just a quick correction:

SDIF is the Sony Digital IO used on their 24 and 48 track Open Reel recorders. It uses a lead for each channel and a separate lead for wordclock.
The S in SPDIF stands for Sony (the P for Philips) and it is very unlikely they would use any other IO on a normal piece of kit like the D7. Incidentally I own a D7 but do not have the digital cable (I was told by my local dealer that they are no longer available - anybody know of a source for these, either the standard or optical one).
Old 01-31-2000, 08:18 AM

Check out core-sound.com

Rob
Old 02-01-2000, 06:04 AM

Rob

Thanks for the info. Core-Sound also provide the explanation as to why the TCD-D7 output may not work: apparently the voltage levels are not to the S/PDIF standard, although Core-Sound claim to have successfully used their passive cables with the AMIII.
Old 02-02-2000, 12:15 AM

I Have further looked into this And found that the cable is only one way. The configuration of the 7 pin end and the conversion make it necesary to have two cables one for in and one for out. more info and links can be found here
http://www.fet.uni-hannover.de/~purnhage/dat/dat.html

Also my correction the DAT player I was refering to is SonyTCD-D7 portble DAT.

Paul
Old 02-05-2000, 10:22 PM

Have you tried using an RM-D3K adapter unit? I don't know if they are still available, but with mine, I've had no S/PDIF problems with any digital transfers. (I'm still using PT 4.x/AM III, so I haven't yet tried it on 001).

------------------
Nathan Lawrence, AudioART