Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 01-18-2010, 08:19 AM

Default Is it better to use a Trim plugin or Gain plugin?

I'm just curious about which one would be more beneficial. I don't want to loose any quality in my audio files. I just found the trim plug in and I find it easier to use than the AudioSuite gain plugin. I also use Blue Cats RTAS plugin for use on some tracks. Again, which would benefit me more: The Trim or the Gain Plugin.
Thanks for your patience.
Lets also pray for the people of Haiti.

Disk
Old 01-18-2010, 08:24 AM

Default Re: Is it better to use a Trim plugin or Gain plugin?

They both have their uses. What exactly are you trying to accomplish?
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 01-18-2010, 08:24 AM

automate your volume instead, much more "undoable". If you do use the audiosuite, I would either save each setting in your session files or put the setting in your notes on each track so you can go back if needed.
I just automate.

back up, back up, back up
Old 01-18-2010, 08:44 AM

Oh, don't mentioned back up. Had my mishap a couple of months ago.

What I am trying to accomplish is to have the best quality of sound for mix down for Mastering. I have been reading up on Bob Katz and his view on mixing before Mastering. Some of my recording levels I think are too hot and when bringing down my faders to achieve the right levels, some of my faders end up pretty low. I know it's digital. It's taken me some years of research to understand about recording at the right levels.

I have an iMac and I'm trying to reserve as much power as possible. I rarely use automation even though I want to especially when mixing down. Like the old days when you invite all your friends over to grab a fader. I should try it out on a tune I don't like so much. I'll have to read up on that paulreed. Would you happened to know of somewhere I can download some reading material on that?
Thank you.

Disk
Old 01-18-2010, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinningDisk View Post
What I am trying to accomplish is to have the best quality of sound for mix down for Mastering.
OK, Audiosuite processing reduces the source signal/quantization error ratio when gaining down. It has to fit within the 16 or 24 bit file depth.

RTAS trim maintains the original source signal/quantization error ratio, it only scales is down within the 32-bit framework.

Realistically speaking though, it all depends on whether you want to apply the gain change destructively or non-destructively. Do you want to archive the original too loud tracks, or the gain changed tracks?

If it were me, I would not Audiosuite gain 16-bit files, but I would Audiosuite 24-bit ones.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 01-19-2010, 02:43 PM

Thanks Top Jimmy.