Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 12-10-2008, 08:53 PM

Default Anyone running Waves V-Series?

Just wondering what people thought and since I'm new to bus compressors even though the compressor is a bus compressor can you use it/does it sound any good used on single tracks instead?
Old 12-11-2008, 02:36 AM

Default Re: Anyone running Waves V-Series?

Of the 3 bundles in the Studio Classics, V Series is my least favorite/most seldom used. If I were only to buy one, I'd opt for the API or the SSL.
Old 12-11-2008, 05:32 AM

Just goes to show you user preference, I absolutely LOVE the compressors in the V-series as they are my most often used. I dont' get into the EQ, I prefer the SSL EQ for that. Go figure :)
Old 12-11-2008, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejwells View Post
Of the 3 bundles in the Studio Classics, V Series is my least favorite/most seldom used. If I were only to buy one, I'd opt for the API or the SSL.
I concur. The API's are the best of the bunch IMHO. I use them constantly, the SSL a little less, and the V-Series pretty much not at all.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:35 AM

I have the SSL4000 and the JJP, next Im getting the V-series I loved it when I had the Demo.
Old 12-11-2008, 02:53 PM

Having spent many many nights on the Neve board the V Series is modeled after, it is definately a flavor, more than a go-to-end-all set. The classsic Neve 24 chanel 8 bus consoles did 1 thing very well, and that was warmth and tone inherent in the console. The transient response is nill when compared to an SSL or an API, so the one thing I would really want to say is that these compressors and chanel strips for the V-series were not meant for every application. I would assume that they went ahead and gave the ability to go farther than the console could, but they probably have the same sound. The rule for every compressor is to know why you chose it before you use it. Choose the V-Series for their character and you win. If you are doing Pop or Hip Hop then the SSL are definately the choice, where as all music sounds brilliant coming through an API. Blackbird Studios here in Nashville has amazing consoles and just walking in the rooms can be humbling.

I would recommend if you are truely going to buy these plugs is to go tour the studios that have the desks (or at least the desks they spawned) and ask to hear a sample. If a studio won't give you a tour they are out of their minds. Tell them you are putting together a budget for a production bid. I used to work at the Mint Studio behind the jazz club. Great place in Midtown LA if anyone ever gets to record there. Definately a vintage rock sound from the late 70's early 80's.

Here's the link for Blackbird studios if you want your tongue to wag. I love the insane room that massenburg designed.
http://www.blackbirdstudio.com/#
D
Avid HD Native PCIe Core | Pro Tools HD 2018.1
Old 12-11-2008, 02:56 PM

The studio at the Mint was yanked a few years ago I thought... at least where the control room used to be (off to the side of the stage) is now a nice green room for the bands and such. Maybe they just moved the gear somewhere else though. What kind of console did they have in there? Weren't they recording to ADATs? That's what I remember from 7-10 years ago when I used to play there.

Sorry to the OP for the OT....