Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2008, 09:20 PM

Default TC Electronic Tube-Tech CL1B is phenomenal!

Started using Tube-Tech CL1B today. This plugin smokes a lot of compressor's out there today! It's tough getting a demo from TC's website lately. But, when you can, try the demo. You will not be disappointed when using it on vocals, bass, drums, 2-buss, and anything else. This emulated plugin can do it. There are some reviews on Mixonline, EQ magazine, and Sound On Sound. I dig this plugin!
Old 08-09-2008, 03:02 AM

Yeah it's a decent plugin. No other software compressor getting close to it!
The problem with many software compressors is following:
1. They are often not transparent even on very light compression.
2. They become colorful, grainy, digital and overall unpredictable on medium compression setting.
3. Attack and release time become very sensible or smearing and dependable to ratio and threshold setting and often remain just workable but never really good.

This is not the case with this compressor. I can only compare this one with a real thing like Tube Tech CL 1 B. I don't know why, but it sounds to my ears also similar to Urei LA4 especially at gentle compression settings. I mean it's transparent behaving.

Sound Designer
/ mixer
www.goorevich.com

PT HD⎪N v2024.3 Ultimate ● macOS Ventura 13.6.3
MacPro 7.1 (2019) 3.2GHz Intel Xeon W 16-Core ● 96 GB RAM
MTRX Studio + DADman 5.7.0.1 + MOM ● Sync HD ● AJA Kona LHi referenced by AJA GEN10 ● D-Command ES24
Old 08-09-2008, 04:25 AM

I too, really really love this compressor. It is great for adding character to the sound. Having this and Waves' C1 in library is about ALL a Mixer needs when talking dynamics.

If you cant get it done with those - you cant get it done at all
Old 08-09-2008, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25ghosts View Post
I too, really really love this compressor. It is great for adding character to the sound. Having this and Waves' C1 in library is about ALL a Mixer needs when talking dynamics.

If you cant get it done with those - you cant get it done at all
Waves C1?
Well I may compare TC Tube Tech to McDSP CompressorBank and Channel G, or Serato Dynamics or Sonnox Dynamics....but C1???
For me C1 always sounds digital and harsh, although it pretends to be transparent (comparing to Renaisanse). Honestly it was my compressor as well before all the good stuff was out. But today I find my self using it on a very rare basis next to never.

Sound Designer
/ mixer
www.goorevich.com

MTRX Studio + DADman 5.7.0.1 + MOM ● Sync HD ● AJA Kona LHi referenced by AJA GEN10 ● D-Command ES24
Old 08-09-2008, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoorevich View Post
Waves C1?
Well I may compare TC Tube Tech to McDSP CompressorBank and Channel G, or Serato Dynamics or Sonnox Dynamics....but C1???
For me C1 always sounds digital and harsh.
Ditto

Cold, sterile and no redeeming features what ever! totally chacter-less.
But 25G seems to rave about it at every opportunity
Maybe he just got use to the sound of the Logic compressors

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 08-09-2008, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crizdee View Post
Ditto

Chris
Not to getting to personal preferences... But I think that CL 1 B can be also strerile and cold like you said, but also getting some brightness and soft (pastel) color when pushing a bit harder, without sounding agressive. I can add myself color and carachter if I need it. Thats what I like in it.

Sound Designer
/ mixer
www.goorevich.com

Old 08-09-2008, 05:33 AM

I'm using CL1B TDM & I love it. But iy has BUG with 96k sessions. When I insert 96k sessions,Sound was silence & level meter keep left (not working mode). 48k & 44.1k session is no problem. Let me know if everyone have info.
Old 08-09-2008, 07:19 AM

I had some problems here with the CL1B demo - it was intermittent, I could use it sometimes then other times it just would not pass audio; didn't matter what sample rate of the session was - I could never identify a specific issue that made it behave like that.

In the end I contacted TC Support but they never replied so I never bought the plug-in.

Shame as it sounds great and I own a few TC plug-ins which don't give that kind of issue. But until someone sorts it out I can't afford to ruin my clients sessions using it in case it fails again.

I remember in another thread someone else mentioned this issue and it is commented upon over at the TC forum (not by anyone from TC).

Anyone know if there was ever a solution to the problem? There has been no update to the installer that I can see.

I am on Intel Mac 3GHZ Octo. PT 7.4cs5 MacOS 10.4.11 HD3 Accel w/8GB Ram and as I said all my other TC plugs (MD3, VSS, DVR, MasterX) work fine.
Old 08-09-2008, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoorevich View Post
Not to getting to personal preferences... But I think that CL 1 B can be also strerile and cold like you said, but also getting some brightness and soft (pastel) color when pushing a bit harder, without sounding agressive. I can add myself color and carachter if I need it. Thats what I like in it.

Well, there isn't ONE TDM compressor that I dont own. The ONLY one doing exactly what I tell it to do is the C1. ALL the others portray milliseconds on their attack and release but it has NOTHING to do with the actual values. C1 is THE most precise compressor on the planet. It does exactly what you ask of it. If it sounds sterile and harsh when you use it - then with all due ...... you are using it wrong or feeding it sterile material.

It is a dynamic tool. Nothing else, these days lots of producers expect a compressor to be a mix saver. It aint - all it does is to Automatically ride the gain according to a few parameter set by it's operator.

It took me about 8 years to fully comprehend(well in my dying bed I will probably still wander the myths of compression) the concept of a compressor - I had the C1 sitting in the Unused Plugs folder for 8 years. Now that I do understand what a compressor CAN do the C1 is the ONE I use ALL the time. Funny and paradox is that I always used to tell people that the C1 sounded like crap. Well it does not - and the only thing crappy about it was my prior opinion about it.

Today people buy into this RETRO MODELED - compressors like LA-2A and Fairchild and and and - I own many of those original pieces and I promise you this: The modeled pieces are sounding NOTHING NOTHING NOTHING like the originals.

The only reason they sell is that people have heard (And never actually used themselves) about the legendary Fairchild etc etc etc - and they think by buying the modeled plug their mix is going to be the greatest

The sooner they understand that a compressor is an Automated Audio Engineer the sooner they'll quit buying the hype and start listening to what compression really is.
Old 08-09-2008, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crizdee View Post
Ditto

Chris
Cris, you speak of a compressor as would it be an EQ - they SOUND

I dont want my compressor to alter my sound - I merely want it to reduce a few peaks here and there...

If a vocalist or guitarist need a compressor to make them groove - well maybe they aint quite there yet.