Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2007, 01:20 PM

Default Re: New Mbox 2 micro!!!!!......

Quote:
Did you every try to work on a laptop with more than a few tracks from your system drive?
Yes, many times.

Seemed fine to me, even had a bunch of plugs running with 24 tracks going or so.

That was with my old G4 ti book.. . haven't tried it yet with my macbook pro. I have a feeling it's probably better still.
Old 10-26-2007, 01:25 PM

Default Re: New Mbox 2 micro!! ATTN : DIGI

This is great... I will buy one the moment it's available - hope the headphone amp in this little thing is powerful enough to edit on a plane, with noise canceling headphones.

DIGI: - an idea for future versions while you're making our "Traveling lives" easier....

Make the MBOX USB Stick double as an iLok so we can put a few of our favorite assets all on the single device, to have a single, clean laptop editing device.

My laptop bag is full of USB hubs, iLok, Mbox, too much crap to set up.

It'd be really great to add an "iLok Chip" to the next version.

Just my 2 cents.

- MacStudio M1
- HDX II Sonnet xMacStudio
- 16x16 HD i/o x 6
- PT ULTIMATE
- SONOMA
- ProTools Dock / S1 / Control App
Old 10-26-2007, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Did you every try to work on a laptop with more than a few tracks from your system drive?
Yes, many times.

Seemed fine to me, even had a bunch of plugs running with 24 tracks going or so.

That was with my old G4 ti book.. . haven't tried it yet with my macbook pro. I have a feeling it's probably better still.
I agree

There is always the chance of using "slave" sessions if a alternate system can't handle complete sessions. I know the limitation of my laptop, so I won't expect more.
Old 10-26-2007, 01:44 PM

I think the idea of this micro dongle is great (in fact, it is one that users have been quite vocal about asking for). I think the idea that "editing" is all this will be used for it quite limiting because this opens up an even greater possibility for "creating". With a ton of virtual instruments out there we don't need I/O to jot down our musical ideas. I always have my laptop with me and if I get and idea I have to come home to my hardware to capture it, where with the micro I could boot up and quickly create something before I lose it. And with virtual instruments the 48k limit won't necessarily be a hindrance because it's all midi anyway! I'm excited for this and agree that future iterations should include an integrated iLok, and registered owners of Digi products should receive a discount (or maybe an incentive, like one free digi plug-in). But as was said
Quote:
- I think this is awesome, - in reality I get a free upgrade to 7.4 for my laptop LE-system in adition to a new ultra small interface with a nice headphone-converter that I can bring everywhere...

Nice one!
So $250(approx. street price) - $70 (approx. upgrade fee for 7.4) = $180. Things are looking a little better.
Old 10-26-2007, 04:33 PM

I know people jumping ship for other recording software just because of the necessary hardware just to edit. This would be great but it doesn't appear to support anything over 48K. I know it's possible because I use a transit and totally separate version of m-powered pro tools just to accomplish this. But it's a real pain in the ass to have to keep both versions current on my laptop. I honestly don't see why they have limited this to 48K. Or maybe I'm wrong and I've misread something. I know it's possible with USB or the transit wouldn't work. Tell me I'm wrong.

I have 2 002s and an HD3 system and I still can't edit anything on my laptop without a completely different version of Pro Tools. It's really annoying.

Neale Eckstein
www.foxrun.org
Old 10-26-2007, 06:14 PM

[QUOTE]
I honestly don't see why they have limited this to 48K. Or maybe I'm wrong and I've misread something. I know it's possible with USB or the transit wouldn't work. Tell me I'm wrong.[QUOTE]

It may have something to do with the fact that all usb mboxs (mbox 1, micro, mini, and mbox 2) still use usb 1.1 technology. I couldn't find the appropriate specs on the m-audio Transit, but if it uses USB 2.0 it may allow for high sample rate?

Click me...

MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz intel i7, 16GB / OSX 10.10.5 / PT 11.3.2 / UA Apollo
Old 10-26-2007, 08:43 PM

Quote:
That's a good idea. People who never have had pro tools...280$ us... about 100$ sounds good.

I've been reading a lot of users trash talking digi for being....well...business men. But then again there are honest business men and greedy business men. I think people are catching on to digi's ego, and moving to logic. I can honestly say I'm on apples site several times a week.

First 003 being hardly upgraded, then 7.4 having only what Logic already has, now something that should be 50$ is 280$ that's only a little less than the mbox mini....I knew those pre's were cheap but...wow.

I'm sorry, this turned into a bash, that's not my way. But let me just say this...

Give us some illustrations of instruments we can put one our tracks as reference...for fun
Bounce to disk, needs to be faster. Pro tools is like the only DAW lacking now a days.
And some updated plugins would be nice...ehem...1998 maxim? Now 'that's' a payable update.

Give us the ability to run PT on vista for free if we don't want 7.4 yet, its only human.

Make this Mbox 2 micro mini tiny have a discount price for pro tools users. You guys will be more popular I promise

And lastly...go to black audio for help with the 004!

I think the 003 is a significant upgrade to the 002. The converters sound better .. the clock is *way* more stable,
the pres are very good (i just wish there were eight of them). The new control features are great and I love the jog
wheel. They did an outstanding job on this unit .. and I've got a Control 24 on my HD system .. and I honestly
prefer using the 003 now. Oh .. and the headphone amp is pretty good too.

As far as updated plug-ins .. have you used any of the AIR stuff? ... excellent. Xpand!, Hybrid and Structure are
top notch .. and few of the flavors are free.

And if you mean Black Lion Audio .. I think you'll find that a Black Lion mod on a 003 is not going to be nearly
as dramatic as a mod on a 002.

I wish PT had some of the things you wish for too .. but they really are trying ... wind the clock back a couple / three
years and LE was the red-headed stepchild. Now, they're expending quite a bit of energy on it.

jeff
ps: How many times have I been on a plane going ... "If I could work on that mix, I wouldn't be watching
this lame Adam Sandler movie" ?
Old 10-26-2007, 10:34 PM

I agree with the head scratchers. There really is no good reason for this device to come bundled with the PT software...

1. If you don't have ProTools you'll need to buy another piece of hardware to utilize the software that is bundled with the micro since the new USB device only supports audio out. And that hardware will also come with PT.
2. If you do have PT already then you don't need another copy just to do editing on a laptop.

Now, the only example I could come up with, but didn't want to dig through the EULA to see if I'm right, is if PT is not allowed to be installed on both your desktop and laptop. If DIGI stipulates that the copy you get with your hardware can only be installed once, on one machine, then you need the second PT software. Of course other major software manufacturers allow Desktop/Laptop installations, so I only assumed DIGI did as well, if I'm wrong then the inclusion of PT with the Micro makes sense. Otherwise is a shameless attempt at milking your customers.
Old 10-27-2007, 04:27 AM

..i have to say, i would have much prefered just a 'Playback only' version of protools LE on an ilok licence....i'd pay £150 for that, no problem.....this thing just seems a bit daft, & looks easy to snap off by accident !

x

B Rig: (Home/Office). M1 Mac Studio - 64gb ram - OSX 12.7.1, PT Ultimate2023.6, HD Native Thunderbolt, Omni, Avid Artist Control

http://www.lostboysstudio.com
Old 10-27-2007, 06:25 AM

Digital Village in the UK have announced the Mbox Micro and the they are charging 182GBP for the privelage. Given that they charge 207GBP for the Mbox mini i can't help but think the maths isn't adding up here. Thats way over 300USD.

They also confirm the device is use USB 1.1 to comply with the majority of Pc's and laptops out there.

???