Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2013, 06:48 AM

Default "Fatal exception has occurred. Pro Tools must exist"

I am currently using Pro Tools LE 7 (with Digi rack 002) on a WinXP desktop.

The system was built and has been stable since 2006. I never perform upgrades and it's not normally connected to the internet (if it's not broke, don't fix-upgrade it, right?).

I decided to purchase the activation code for the MP3 "bounce to disk" option.

The instructions said to use the Pro Tools instal disk and install the mp3 part. I unchecked everything on the disk (except mp3) and let it run. Once I was done .... the Pro Tools program itself was completely missing. I tried a "system restore" to last week and it's still missing. I figured at that point I'd need to reinstall the Pro Tools program, which I attempted, and it didn't work. It appears the Pro Tools program is now there ... but can't launch. Each time I try I get an error of:

"Fatal exception has occurred. Pro Tools must exist"

It appears my audio-fade-session files are all there .... just the Pro Tools program is missing/broken to launch the session.

Since I don't normally have this computer connected to the internet, when I went online for the mp3 upgrade (I thought it would be a software download) ... my system went through a TON of upgrades to Windows and to IE. I've read IE8 will cause problems, but not sure about this error. And unsure if I do a complete uninstall/re-install of ProTools, if all of my plug-in's and session files will "find" each other.

Can anyone think of a way to fix this?

Thanks !!!!!
Old 07-25-2013, 08:03 AM

Default Re: "Fatal exception has occurred. Pro Tools must exist"

IIRC if you UNcheck everything and install it UNinstalls whatever isn't checked. Reintstall with everything checked.

OR just bring back that backup image you made just before trying to install the MP3 Option. You made a backup of course, yes?

If not, go and get Acronis True Image Home ASAP.

Cheers,
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 07-25-2013, 08:39 AM

"Pro tools must exist"! It surely must, no matter what!:)
Old 07-25-2013, 10:48 AM

WOW !!

Ok ..... I did a system restore and reinstalled ALL of the PT's files. It appears everything is running normally. Thank god !!

Now back to the start of all this (mp3 activation) ...... I attempted to telephone Avid directly and have them walk me thru the activation of the mp3 that I just purchased ($20). I was basically told I needed to purchase an additional "support code" ($40) so the tech people can help me. They didn't understand that when I purchase something, it should work or they should fix it. Then they wanted to charge me DOUBLE to fix something, of what I spent on the product.

Geezz !!