Default Re: Source Clip disappears from clip list after separating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
I stand by this. I just tested it:
Whole-file "Audio" (Bold in clip bin)
Separate cmd-E, two new clips appear in the clip bin:
"Audio-01" and "Audio-02". Not bold.
Separate "Audio-01", two new clips appear in the clip bin:
"Audio-03" and "Audio-04", and "Audio-01" disappears.

This is on the setup in my signature.

Added: Of course if you were to duplicate the track before the last step, "Audio-01" would not disappear because it's still in the session.
Thanks for the confirmation. Something must be selected in my prefs/options that is the same as yours because in my previous versions of Pro Tools, i.e. versions 5, 7, 8, 10 and 11, it never did this even if the source file was not a master file. Another poster just confirmed that in Pro Tools 2021 his source file doesn't disappear either so that at least helps me get a little closer to a solution.

Go up a couple of posts where I uploaded 2 screenshots from Pro Tools 11, before and after. You'll see that the source file is not a master file and it doesn't disappear after the separation

I'll keep hunting around the options and preferences, thanks again for your help!
Old 07-10-2021, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdoghat View Post
Go up a couple of posts where I uploaded 2 screenshots from Pro Tools 11, before and after. You'll see that the source file is not a master file and it doesn't disappear after the separation
First, your nomenclature; 'source file' and 'master file' is confusing. The proper wording is 'whole-files' and 'clips'. At least last time I looked, and that might be some time ago. Whole-files are bold type. They always stay in the clips bin, unless you manually delete them. Clips are parts of whole-files and are autocreated and autodeleted. As are fade files.

The two screenshots you posted only shows what happens when a whole-file region is separated; two new clips are created in the clips list.

What's strange is; on the second screenshot, it seems like the whole-file and the two clips are the same typeface. Hard to tell. Are the two new clips whole-files (bold) ???
Old 07-10-2021, 10:44 PM

Quote:
First, your nomenclature; 'source file' and 'master file' is confusing. The proper wording is 'whole-files' and 'clips'. At least last time I looked, and that might be some time ago. Whole-files are bold type. They always stay in the clips bin, unless you manually delete them. Clips are parts of whole-files and are autocreated and autodeleted. As are fade files.

The two screenshots you posted only shows what happens when a whole-file region is separated; two new clips are created in the clips list.

What's strange is; on the second screenshot, it seems like the whole-file and the two clips are the same typeface. Hard to tell. Are the two new clips whole-files (bold) ???
Sorry about that, I'm not well up on the lingo as I haven't had to go trouble-shooting anything Pro Tools-related in years. Sorry about the garbage screenshots too, not sure why the quality is so bad after uploading.

There's no whole file in either the Pro Tools 11 or Pro Tools 2021 "before and after" screenshots. All of them are clips (not bolded, not whole files). And in the Pro Tools 11 example, after the separation, the clip that created the two new clips _01 and _02 is still visible. This is the problem, it shouldn't be wiping out the clip from the list after the separation as it does in the PT 2021 screenshots.

You can trust that what I'm saying is accurate, I've worked this way on hundreds of projects over the years, something is not right. Thanks!
Old 07-10-2021, 11:20 PM

So you have a session without a whole file in the bin?
Just clips referencing a file… somewhere.
This might be a clue to the problem.

Look; If they are all clips, not wholefiles, then separating any one of them will result in two new clips being created and the original clip being deleted.

Session without the whole-files in the clip bin, I never heard of that…
Old 07-11-2021, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Look; If they are all clips, not wholefiles, then separating any one of them will result in two new clips being created and the original clip being deleted.

Session without the whole-files in the clip bin, I never heard of that…
Thanks again, I removed the whole file from the clip list before I took the screenshot, that's why you don't see it.

Clips should not be disappearing. See attached screenshot. I just did a chunk of my room tone naming process in Pro Tools 11, made and named many auto-created clips, all of which stayed in the clip list after separation. I have "show/auto-created" checked in the clips list menu. The first clip created is at the bottom of the list, the last clip created is at the top of the list

The numbers in the clip list represent milliseconds. 4000 (ms) is the whole file, bolded. I select 3500 ms of the 4000 ms file and separate. Now I have 2 auto-created clips. I name the _01 portion of the separation 3500 (my selection of 3500 ms) and leave the unused _02 portion of that separation (500 ms) with whatever name PT gives it.

Now I select 3000ms of 3500ms auto-created clip, separate, and name the _01 portion of that clip 3000 and go on from there with the same process. The only clip that's created from the whole file is the 3500 one. All the rest are made from the auto-created file immediately preceding it in the clip list and it stays in the clip list after it's separated. Then at the end of it all, I remove all _02 clips from the clip list and I'm just left with the pieces of room tone I need.

Think about it in musical terms. You have a vocal line in a chorus that says "I am here". You select it, separate, name it "I am here", it appears in the clip list with its name. You're going to copy and paste the "I am here" clip in a few spots. Then you decide you also want to take the "am here" part of that clip to use somewhere else too. As soon as you make the separation between "I" and "am here", your "I am here" clip is now gone from the clip list. This is not normal operation.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PT 11 Create Room Tone Pieces JPEG.jpg (96.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg PT 11 Create Room Tone Pieces JPEG copy.jpg (43.5 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by bigdoghat; 07-11-2021 at 01:59 AM.
Old 07-11-2021, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdoghat View Post
As soon as you make the separation between "I" and "am here", your "I am here" clip is now gone from the clip list. This is not normal operation.
The quick answer is consolidate 'I am here' so it turns into a whole-file, and it will not go away.
I still say it's normal operation.
Old 07-11-2021, 07:22 PM

Solved - they changed the way you go about it in the newer versions of Pro Tools. I'm not sure exactly when it changed but some time after PT 11.

You now have to select a portion of the clip you want to separate but instead of using the separate command as was the way in the past, you use Command R (or clip menu/capture...), a dialog box pops up and you name your new clip. The source clip and the new clip both stay in the clip list.

The upside of this new way of doing it is that you no longer have the unused portions of the clip in the clip list as seen in my screenshot above and the source clip in the edit window stays intact too.
Old 06-11-2022, 02:59 PM

Was this ever resolved? I'm struggling with this as well. Parent clip disappears so if I have "Show Auto Created Clips" unselected, there are sound files in the session that I need but can't see. Doing SFX for film with hundreds of files. Every time I use a file I make some change to it. So when I need that particular sfx again, I want to grab the parent file again!! This is f'ed up. Parent file should always stay in the list!!! So now you have to "capture and rename" every time you make an edit? Or I guess must show Auto Created, have a thousand files in the list, and use "Find Clip" I guess???