Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 03-01-2004, 11:27 AM

Default creating \"real drum\" ambience w/drum softsamplers

I've been using various softsamplers for drums, (Battery, Reason Redrum, Reason NN-xt), and although my drums sound ok with the various samples I'm using and the midi performances I have (using V-drums to create real parts rather than programmed)....I still am searching for a way to give the parts more of a open, airy, more ambient, acoustic recorded drums feel

I've tried different panning techniques, use Waves Ren verbs, and am not quite satisfied with the results..It still sounds like a drum machine to me no matter how I twist and turn it...

I've checked into the BFD softsampler and that looks like the real deal, but I should be able to get better results with what I have...

any suggestions from experienced users??
Old 03-01-2004, 12:05 PM

Default Re: creating \"real drum\" ambience w/drum softsamplers

The reason sampled drums usually sound programmed is because the exact same sample is used every time the instrument is struck. Better samplers and drum soft samples will vary the sample between as many as 6 or 8 different recordings of the same drum at the same volume. This tends to create more realism.

If you are going to try adn use something like a Ren Reverb and you looking to get your drum sound more real, make sure you don't use a very big reverb. A small room sound will work better. Then after you have that, then add a plate just to the Snare like you normally would.

Drumkits from Hell are coming out with there own AMAZING version of their sample library in a Plugin form. I checked it out at the NAMM show and it is by far the best "realistic" sounding drum sample module I have seen. I'm a drummer and I've never been that impressed with anything until I saw this...they recorded a jazz fusion style (Ala Dave Weckl) drum groove and drum solo on Vdrums and were using their plugin on it. Man It SOUNDED 100% REAL. I couldn't tell that it was samples! I don't think it's coming out until September...but man, It's worth the wait. It comes with 35GB of samples and the controls you have are AMAZING...go to their website and check it out.

Derek Jones Linkedin
Megatrax Recording Studios
Megatrax Studios Yelp Page
A-list Music Artist Page
Old 03-01-2004, 02:55 PM

Actually, DFH Superior is coming out this month. You can go HERE to find out more. I'm expecting that this will become the last word in drum sampling.
M-Audio Audiophile 192
PT M-Powered 6.8/7.0
Old 03-01-2004, 04:12 PM

oh really?!?! That's great! And that includes the RTAS version? I thought i remember one of the guys saying only the VST version would be out now and the RTAS version would be out hopefully around september. Maybe I understood them incorrectly!

Either way...it's a !@#@$ KILLER drum sample library/softsynth.

Derek Jones Linkedin
Megatrax Recording Studios
Megatrax Studios Yelp Page
A-list Music Artist Page
Old 03-01-2004, 05:51 PM

Default Re: creating \"real drum\" ambience w/drum softsampl

Hey,

Check this link out.

http://www.natural-studio.co.uk/nskit_download.htm

I dare say its prob not a scratch on the other instruments mentioned in the other posts, but for the time being, as a free download, it may serve you well.

Havent actually downloaded the samples, but from reading, sounds OK. I dare say it would be a hell of a lot more realistic than just retriggering the same samples in reason.

75mb download. Give it a go.

Ez.
Old 03-01-2004, 06:36 PM

Run the drum tracks through a small PA or even stero system, and put up a coupel room mics. This of course requires a decdnt sounding room and playback system, as well as decent mics.
Old 03-01-2004, 08:03 PM

Part of the problem with samples (all kinds)is many times the samples are great but the person programing them may not know how the instrument would be played.
I have heard drum parts written with too many hands going at the same time.
most people will not know thats whats happening but they can tell something is up.
I use DFH and Drum on Demand for writing but will have a drummer lay down tracks later.
I do use them for commercials though.
Old 03-01-2004, 09:20 PM

Quote:
oh really?!?! That's great! And that includes the RTAS version? I thought i remember one of the guys saying only the VST version would be out now and the RTAS version would be out hopefully around september. Maybe I understood them incorrectly!

Either way...it's a !@#@$ KILLER drum sample library/softsynth.
The RTAS version is not going to be in the first release, but it will be a free update available in a couple months. However, the initial release will include a rewire version that will work with protools right off the bat.

Check out this link to see everything that you get.
M-Audio Audiophile 192
PT M-Powered 6.8/7.0
Old 03-02-2004, 09:03 AM

anyone have any idea what this is going to cost?? whether or not they are going to make it OS 9.2 compatible??

I keep going back to this issue of velocity and how you have 127 levels of velocity to work with in midi (no matter what sampler or samples you are using), wheras in real live acoustic drumming you have infinite levels of velocity...

which makes me wonder whether it's possible at all to get midi drums to ever have the same feel and groove of real drums...