Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2004, 07:32 AM

Default timeline/midi tempo - how do I do this?

anyone have a workaround for the following:?

we have a song, audio + midi, about 24 tracks... tempo of the song is 118bpm

we decided to add an intro to the song... we moved the entire song to the right on the timeline, added 90 seconds of air, and laid down a midi piano track (in free time, but MM was 118bpm from measure 1)

singer sang to the midi piano intro. everything is great...

as we're sweetening, we decide that the intro needs to be 6 ticks faster (including the vocal). No prob, so I thought...

I switched to bars and beats, made sure tempo @ meas 58 was 118 and used "Speed" to bring the audio to 124 bpm (sounded great). set midi at measure 24 (the start of the intro) to 124bpm... and of course all audio on other tracks from meas 58+ are totally wrong...

what are my workarounds?

I was thinking of exporting the intro to a new session, do the speed bump, bounce to audio tracks, import session data...

would 6.7 solve this problem?

Is there a trick to do this within the same session?

thx

jr
Old 12-19-2004, 10:55 AM

Default Re: timeline/midi tempo - how do I do this?

Did you Identify Beat to set a tempo object at bar 58 and bar 7 before adjusting the tempo before it in the session?

6.7 would definately make this kind of stuff far easier.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 12-20-2004, 03:51 PM

Hello,

I think 6.7 new feature! audio tracks in tick format as well as sample format would help with this type of tempo changing and editing!!?

Change tempo and your audio regions that are set to tick will stay perfectly in time with your bars & beats ets! just like midi regions!!!

I think this is how it works!? though i haven't tested it yet!!!

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 12-21-2004, 08:08 PM
Avid

Yea, as Rail says get to 6.7 and used tick-based tracks.

-tv

"There's a fine line between stupid and clever."
Old 12-21-2004, 10:15 PM

You need to identify the beat at bar 58-this locks down the tempo AND the absoulte time location of that beat. If you only put a tempo change there it will be shifted as you change the tempo earlier, since the location of that beat is not fixed-it's determined by the tempos before it.
Old 12-22-2004, 12:52 AM

i do 99.9% percent of my songs to a tempo. i use reason or my mpc to sequence drums and synths then add live instruments. everything stays pretty organized and neat. im able to move all of my audio around freely so it works good. my question is about this tick based audio im hearing about.this sounds exciting. so if i have all my sequences arranged in PT to a tempo i can just chang tempo and it stretches everything??? i dont quit get it????
Old 12-22-2004, 11:45 AM
Avid

Quote:
i do 99.9% percent of my songs to a tempo. i use reason or my mpc to sequence drums and synths then add live instruments. everything stays pretty organized and neat. im able to move all of my audio around freely so it works good. my question is about this tick based audio im hearing about.this sounds exciting. so if i have all my sequences arranged in PT to a tempo i can just chang tempo and it stretches everything??? i dont quit get it????
With tick-based playlists, the START time of regions can moved in time to any tempo changes. We are not at the "region stretching (to fill the tail gaps)" stage - yet.

-tv

"There's a fine line between stupid and clever."