Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 06-24-2022, 08:30 PM

Default playback engine issue

New computer (M1 Mac Studio), new Protools Artist subscription, and a new audio interface (Line 6 Helix LT). All working together in perfect harmony until I try to open an older session recorded at 44.1 kHz. When I do, I get the message,

"The current playback engine does not support a sample rate of 44.1 kHz."

In past versions of PT, I could simply change the sample rate from the Playback Engine selection from the Setup dropdown. When I try this w/Artist, I don't have the option to change the sample rate of my playback engine.

FWIW, I have my Helix matched to the sample rate of the session.

I'm finding it hard to believe that PT wouldn't allow me to open old files that were done at 44.1. What am I missing?
Old 06-24-2022, 08:55 PM

Default Re: playback engine issue

...I'm finding it hard to believe you would post here with no information about the computer or version of Pro Tools.

I think the Helix supports 44.1kHz but you can check the documentation of the config app.

Lets guess Windows since ASIO can be a PITA with sample rate conflicts.

I'm not sure what you are referring to with changing the sample rate "from the Playback Engine selection". The sample rate has never been configurable in the playback engine dialog, if it's configure at all from Pro Tools it's maybe under setup>Hardware if there is provision to do that (depends on the interface) it's from an external config utility or settings on the physical device (or relying on external word clock), i.e. how any of this works is all interface dependent. The thing that Pro Tools always can control is the session sample rate... which ideally automatically sets the interface sample rate, if it can (e.g. you don't have some other app also trying to do that).

A common cause of this is something else having the interface open, either Windows, or another Application. Make sure that Windows sound control panel is not configured so Windows is trying to use the the device. Ditto for any application (turn them all off). That include any guitar apps that might be using the interface.

That does not work try a test: Exit Pro Tools. Set the sample rate in the interfaces config app, create a new session at that sample rate. And see if that works.

That not work, read "Help us Help You" up the top of each web page and provide clear info as described there about your setup, os version, driver version, exact what else is all connected together etc.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 06-24-2022 at 11:46 PM.
Old 06-24-2022, 10:24 PM

As I recall, the Helix’s only do 48K. They do not internally do any other sample rate. If there is a sample rate selection in the settings, this only changes the sample rate of the digital I/O via sample rate conversion.

So if you want to open old 44.1 sessions using the Helix, you’ll need to convert them to 48.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 06-24-2022, 11:10 PM

Nope (now you made me check). The Helix do multiple sample rates. OTOH Fractal and Kempler are stuck at 48 kHz. (Why my Fractal hangs on the other side of a sample rate conversion box).
Old 06-25-2022, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Nope (now you made me check). The Helix do multiple sample rates. OTOH Fractal and Kempler are stuck at 48 kHz. (Why my Fractal hangs on the other side of a sample rate conversion box).

Only if you use the manufacturers drivers. If using it plug n play (class compliant) they appear to only work at 48kHz.

OP, have you installed the drivers for the Helix? If not, that could be your problem. Also make sure to allow the driver to function via macOS security settings. That can sometimes trip people up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-25-2022, 06:52 AM

Quote:
...I'm finding it hard to believe you would post here with no information about the computer or version of Pro Tools.
my bad. I thought "new computer"...(which was specified as Mac M1 Studio), "new protools subscription" implied the newest OS and PT versions. Nonetheless:

Mac OS Monterey 12.3.1
Chip Apple M1 Max
Memory 32 GB

Protools Artist
V 2022.5.0
Old 06-25-2022, 06:57 AM

[QUOTE=Darryl Ramm;2640316]I'm not sure what you are referring to with changing the sample rate "from the Playback Engine selection".QUOTE]

what I was referring to, is that in the past, w/my old PT system, I had a decent external mic pre that I used via SPDF in order to circumvent the pre's of my Mbox2 Pro. in this setup, if I got the sample rate error message, I'd simply match the sampling rate of my preamp to that of the session. problem solved. but with the helix, even though there is a selection for 44.1, it still won't let me in to the session
Old 06-25-2022, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Jimmy View Post
As I recall, the Helix’s only do 48K. They do not internally do any other sample rate. If there is a sample rate selection in the settings, this only changes the sample rate of the digital I/O via sample rate conversion.

So if you want to open old 44.1 sessions using the Helix, you’ll need to convert them to 48.

Well...maybe, maybe not. There is definitely a selectable 44.1 kHz selection in the helix...but it's not making a difference in terms of allowing me to open any of my 44.1 sessions.

I wasn't aware I could convert to 48. Do you have a link to a procedure on doing so?
Old 06-25-2022, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
Only if you use the manufacturers drivers. If using it plug n play (class compliant) they appear to only work at 48kHz.

OP, have you installed the drivers for the Helix? If not, that could be your problem. Also make sure to allow the driver to function via macOS security settings. That can sometimes trip people up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The only thing I've installed for Helix is HX Edit, so if drivers don't get installed automatically w/their editing software, the answer would be no.
Old 06-25-2022, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Nope (now you made me check).
You gave me a giggle this morning Darryl.

Reading this page all the way through still leads me to believe the internals are fixed at 48k and everything else is accomplished via SRC.
https://helixhelp.com/tips-and-guide...obal-settings/

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control