Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2015, 10:19 PM

Default What was the first version of Pro Tools that was 64 bit for Windows?

My but the time has passed quickly. The last time I was able to upgrade with the rest of the world was with the release of Windows 7, Pro Tools 8 m - powered, and a brand new quad core Dell computer. Since then I replace that computer with a slightly newer version of a quad but then recently had to downgrade 2/8 Pentium D dual core. But, this was the first machine I owned that was 64 bit.

Question - was Pro Tools 8 ever released as 64-bit? My guess is no in that from all the support articles I read as well as forum posts we're not conclusive one way or the other.

This Pentium D computer also went poop on me recently. Yes I admit that I have used my computers for more than just audio production but I have never had a problem running Pro Tools especially since my compositions have always been rather simple. But this last time I first installed the other large applications I use including the Adobe Creative Suite and Microsoft Office without a hitch. I then installed the m-audio drivers for my interface also without any problems. Finally it was time to install Pro Tools. I took it for granted that there wouldn't be a problem as I had already installed other 32-bit applications even those that used the interface which of course required the 64 bit driver. The installation went off without a hitch including the interlock drivers and the CS updates. The launch Pro Tools. The first try indicated it cannot find the interface which was something that I was familiar with and was easily fixed. The second try locked up the system and required a hard shutdown which I'm afraid was what did the system in even though I had no other choice. The final attempt I decided just to give it time to fully load but after 10 minutes the fan was on full bore and the screen was blank. After this the system would not boot.

Question - I will be able to get either a single newer computer such as an eye five or seven or fix two of the three computers that are not currently working and use one exclusively for music. If I do the latter I may also be able to upgrade to Pro Tools 9 or whatever version I can get in 64-bit which would be my preference. What do you think the best option would be? I don't think I would be able to upgrade to a new version of Pro Tools such as 11. Thanks in advance.

Is there a mobile version of this site or do people use the Tapatalk Android app that is displayed on the homepage?
Old 09-23-2015, 10:50 PM

Default Re: What was the first version of Pro Tools that was 64 bit for Windows?

Pro Tools 11.0
Old 09-23-2015, 11:16 PM

Default Re: What was the first version of Pro Tools that was 64 bit for Windows?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSW View Post
My but the time has passed quickly. The last time I was able to upgrade with the rest of the world was with the release of Windows 7, Pro Tools 8 m - powered, and a brand new quad core Dell computer. Since then I replace that computer with a slightly newer version of a quad but then recently had to downgrade 2/8 Pentium D dual core. But, this was the first machine I owned that was 64 bit.

Question - was Pro Tools 8 ever released as 64-bit? My guess is no in that from all the support articles I read as well as forum posts we're not conclusive one way or the other.

This Pentium D computer also went poop on me recently. Yes I admit that I have used my computers for more than just audio production but I have never had a problem running Pro Tools especially since my compositions have always been rather simple. But this last time I first installed the other large applications I use including the Adobe Creative Suite and Microsoft Office without a hitch. I then installed the m-audio drivers for my interface also without any problems. Finally it was time to install Pro Tools. I took it for granted that there wouldn't be a problem as I had already installed other 32-bit applications even those that used the interface which of course required the 64 bit driver. The installation went off without a hitch including the interlock drivers and the CS updates. The launch Pro Tools. The first try indicated it cannot find the interface which was something that I was familiar with and was easily fixed. The second try locked up the system and required a hard shutdown which I'm afraid was what did the system in even though I had no other choice. The final attempt I decided just to give it time to fully load but after 10 minutes the fan was on full bore and the screen was blank. After this the system would not boot.

Question - I will be able to get either a single newer computer such as an eye five or seven or fix two of the three computers that are not currently working and use one exclusively for music. If I do the latter I may also be able to upgrade to Pro Tools 9 or whatever version I can get in 64-bit which would be my preference. What do you think the best option would be? I don't think I would be able to upgrade to a new version of Pro Tools such as 11. Thanks in advance.

Is there a mobile version of this site or do people use the Tapatalk Android app that is displayed on the homepage?
Pro Tools 11 was the very first 64bit version.
There has not been any prior version of PT 64bit.
Every PT (all LE versions, PT9, PT10) up to PT10 was 32bit only.
Pro Tools 10 was the last 32bit version then. So 64bit Pro Tools started
with version 11 and was followed by version 12 (both are 64bit only).

If being asked I certainly would go for a brand new i7 Quad Core machine
and upgrade M-Powered 8 to Pro Tools 12.
With such a system you will be 64bit only with both your Windows and Pro Tools
and you will have a computer being powerful enough for the latest versions of PT.
The 64bit versions of Pro Tools now want an i7 quad Core processor to run as it is
supposed to therefore no i5, no Dual Core if you get a new computer for PT11/12.
Further you need 16GB Ram memory for PT11/12 at the least. More are welcome.

I would recommend to get a machine which meet Avid´s requirements as this will
save you many problems from the start.
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...m-Requirements
(you may scroll down for more details)

Until the end of December 2015 you will be able to crossgrade your M-Powered to
the full version of Pro Tools for a discounted price. After that period you will have to
pay much more for the full version of Pro Tools (no up-/crossgrades will be available
anymore then).
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PTUpSup

What you will get with this crossgrade will be the full version of PT10, 11 and 12
(all separate installers) and updates for 1 year. After that year you will be able to use
your Pro Tools further on without any limitations however if you want to receive further updates
after that year, you will have to renew the update plan for an additional fee.
If you don´t need any further updates then you also can skip the update plan (means nothing to
pay anymore) and go to use your Pro Tools further on like before just without updating.

As for the PC check out this site additionally.
http://www.pro-tools-pc.com
It may give you some inspiration if you intend to build one yourself or you can buy a
Pro Tools-ready machine from them. Anyway like mentioned before, get an i7 Quad Core
processor and 16GB Ram for the 64bit versions of Pro Tools (11/12) at least!
You won´t get happy with any i5 or Dual Cores and PT11/12 at the end of the day.

Whatever you decide to do wishing you the best of success!
Old 09-24-2015, 12:54 PM

Well said^^^^. The only 2 cents I would add is just in case this matters. As said, PT11 is the first 64 bit VERSION of Pro Tools, but versions 8.0.5 thru 10.3.10, while not being 64 bit programs, will run on a 64 bit machine(so I always have recommended Windows7 64 bit, regardless). But those older versions are indeed 32 bit programs.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave