Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 08-12-2011, 08:52 AM

Default Re: PT 9 + Lion - What To Do, Any Est. Time-Frame?

http://www.airusersblog.com/home-pag...next-week.html
Old 08-12-2011, 04:48 PM

I'm thinking based on the question I posed to DigiTechSup and the answer that they gave me....they've been working diligently on this update for Lion and have every intention in getting it out fairly quickly as compared to the Snow Leopard update from Leopard which took ages.

To me, I'd think that at some point in Sept would be a realistic guess, perhaps? I've done some Beta testing in the past with Greg Robles from Avid and this seems to be the pattern that has followed.

Can't wait!
Old 08-13-2011, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJKeys View Post
I bought a refurb iMac for exactly that purpose, was told that it would ship with SL, booted it up, had Lion. Been working with Apple Support for a week to get the SL disks for downgrade-
Same here, but they are shipping out the SL disks Monday. Give Apple a call and they will send you the disks
Old 08-13-2011, 07:10 PM

I did this, thanks, and they said they would send them out "expedited". When they did not arrive three days later, I called AppleCare Support and a Senior Adviser informed me that expedited means 4-7 business days. In what world is that? 5 business days was Friday, still do not have the disks. Not very impressed with Apple Tech Support so far. They are very polite, but I would prefer service to politeness.
16GB RAM
OSX 10.14.5
PT 2019.10 (last one)
Waves Gold/RenMaxx v11
iZotope Ozone 8
Focusrite Clarett 8Pre

Nord Stage 3
Nord Lead A1
DSI Mopho X4
Old 08-13-2011, 07:57 PM

Just to let you know, I've been told by both Apple Store employees and some other knowledgeable people I know that it's unlikely that you'll be able to install Snow Leopard if it's already on Lion. The problem is the firmware. Once it's been upgraded, apparently there's no going back.

You can try, but I wanted to give you a heads up.
Old 08-13-2011, 09:44 PM

Apple support told me the exact opposite, that on the Mid 2011 iMac, that there were no firmware or driver issues, and that they would walk me through the process, boot from SL DVD, erase HDD, install SL. However, based on their performance so far, confidence is not high....
16GB RAM
OSX 10.14.5
PT 2019.10 (last one)
Waves Gold/RenMaxx v11
iZotope Ozone 8
Focusrite Clarett 8Pre

Nord Stage 3
Nord Lead A1
DSI Mopho X4
Old 08-14-2011, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
Just to let you know, I've been told by both Apple Store employees and some other knowledgeable people I know that it's unlikely that you'll be able to install Snow Leopard if it's already on Lion. The problem is the firmware. Once it's been upgraded, apparently there's no going back.

You can try, but I wanted to give you a heads up.
Ouch - that bites, to put it mildly. I need a new machine but can't afford to wait for Avid to do what's necessary, but at the same time I also don't want to get a PC and move back to Windoze. Or do my work in DP (which has a Lion compatible version out).

QAPLA!
Old 08-14-2011, 09:49 AM

I will admit I'm just speculating, but I don't see how you could not be able to revert to snow leopard. With the possible exception of the Mac minis and MacBook airs. I could see the new ones not having supported drivers in snow leopard, as they were released after lion. But the iMacs were shipping with snow leopard at one point. So you may have to have a 10.6.7/8 install disc for them but it should be possible. And I'd really think you could just install any version of snow leopard and combo update to 10.6.8. Again just speculation but I hope I'm right.

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-14-2011, 10:29 AM

There are a few threads about downgrading on the Apple Forum:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0

The refurb iMac I bought originally shipped with Snow Leopard, and was supposed to when I received it, but did not. Apple Support said it would be no problem going back on that particular piece of hardware. We will see.....
16GB RAM
OSX 10.14.5
PT 2019.10 (last one)
Waves Gold/RenMaxx v11
iZotope Ozone 8
Focusrite Clarett 8Pre

Nord Stage 3
Nord Lead A1
DSI Mopho X4
Old 08-14-2011, 02:51 PM

I have a mac mini with snow leopard 10.6.8 installed. I cloned the mini's system drive to a USB 2 drive and then installed Lion over the cloned drive to check it out without having to erase my internal boot drive. I can boot from either drive Snow Leopard or Lion with the the mini no problem and no firmware was installed as far as I can see though I will check that in the "about mac / get more info /Hardware/boot rom/ this is where your macs firmware number is located. This s a safe way to if you want to test out Lion of corse if it did install new firmware I may not have been able to boot from Snow Leopard, but it's fine, I can boot from either.