Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2008, 06:09 AM

Default Problems after Security Update 2008-008

So, I stupidly let Software Update do it's thing, and update the 2008-008 security update. I'm on OSX 10.4.11, running PT HD 7.3.1cs7. However, PT will now not run - it bounces once on the dock, and that's it.

I've tried all the usual fixes - prebind script, installing the 10.4.11 combo update, updating PT, and have done a clean uninstall/reinstall of PT, all to no avail.

Has anyone else come across this problem, and does anyone have any possible solutions?

Thanks a lot!

Gethin
Old 12-16-2008, 06:24 AM

Default Re: Problems after Security Update 2008-008

same problem here!!! S**T!
Old 12-16-2008, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gethinw View Post
So, I stupidly let Software Update do it's thing, and update the 2008-008 security update. I'm on OSX 10.4.11, running PT HD 7.3.1cs7. However, PT will now not run - it bounces once on the dock, and that's it.

I've tried all the usual fixes - prebind script, installing the 10.4.11 combo update, updating PT, and have done a clean uninstall/reinstall of PT, all to no avail.

Has anyone else come across this problem, and does anyone have any possible solutions?

Thanks a lot!

Gethin
re-clone your damaged drive back from your back up clone you should have.

if you don't have a clone back up get one..reinstall everything then clone that good drive so this or anything like this can ever happen to you again.

if you can't afford another drive...ask God...HE will provide.

any more questions?

Old 12-16-2008, 07:47 AM

Thanks for the heads up! Security Updates are generally pretty harmless.

However, there appears to be (or have been) a problem with the update. According to several sources the update may have not completely downloaded, yet somehow still passed a checksum verification and then continued to try to install, thereby screwing your system.

According to Macintouch, Apple forums, etc., the key is to re-install the combo updater after booting from the DVD.

Here's another fix mentioned . . .
Quote:
So, the fix is to delete the partial file from the updates directory (buried in your /Library/Updates folder), and download the ~combo~ update from Apple via their support page. Run this installer separately, as you would for a normal software installation (ie. open the .pkg file).
You might check Macintouch, MacFixit, and the apple support forums for late breaking news on this problem.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:08 AM

Yeah, it's a bit frustrating - I never install any os updates or anything big like that via the automatic updater, but thought that security updates were generally safe, won't make that mistake again!

I've ended up just making a new osx user profile, which, along with all the reinstalling, re-updating etc that I've done seems to have fixed it. Although it still won't run in the original profile which is a bit frustrating.

I also tried installing the update via the apple website (ie download, and run the .pkg, although without having deleted the partial file) which didn't seem to fix things, so i'd be wary about installing the update that way as well. Protools seems to be the only thing that's broken though, so I'm not convinced that a faulty download caused my problems.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:14 AM

HELP !!!

Logging in as a new user will work. However.... I have lost my registration code. I have my serial number. Any help there ??

I have done all the install and reinstalls. Doesn't seem to work.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:14 AM

Hello, what we have found to work is to right click on the Actual Pro Tools HD application, and select Show Package Contents. Then open the Contents folder, and then open the MacOS folder. Then in here open the Pro Tools HD Unix file and it should work. Maybe the security update broke some binding between the Icon and the actual unix executable.
Old 12-18-2008, 06:14 AM

So, it's almost working now, I've got it running in the new user profile now, but it seems that every time I reboot I have to trash the preferences before I can run protools, otherwise I just get the dead dock icon. Very odd. Any ideas what might be causing this? Or am I just going to have to deal with deleting preferences every time I turn my computer on!
Old 12-18-2008, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Guest View Post
Hello, what we have found to work is to right click on the Actual Pro Tools HD application, and select Show Package Contents. Then open the Contents folder, and then open the MacOS folder. Then in here open the Pro Tools HD Unix file and it should work. Maybe the security update broke some binding between the Icon and the actual unix executable.
I have the same problem and have tried running the Unix but get the following in the window:

Last login: Thu Dec 18 10:38:11 on console
/Applications/Digidesign/Pro\ Tools/Pro\ Tools\ LE.app/Contents/MacOS/Pro\ Tools\ LE; exit
Welcome to Darwin!
joshua-rosenthals-computer:~ joshuarosenthal$ /Applications/Digidesign/Pro\ Tools/Pro\ Tools\ LE.app/Contents/MacOS/Pro\ Tools\ LE; exit
Illegal instruction
logout
[Process completed]

IT SEEMS THERE IS AN "ILLEGAL INSTRUCTION" PREVENTING IT FROM LOADING.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:00 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by gethinw View Post
So, it's almost working now, I've got it running in the new user profile now, but it seems that every time I reboot I have to trash the preferences before I can run protools, otherwise I just get the dead dock icon. Very odd. Any ideas what might be causing this? Or am I just going to have to deal with deleting preferences every time I turn my computer on!
Have you tried this yet?

Quote:
So, the fix is to delete the partial file from the updates directory (buried in your /Library/Updates folder), and download the ~combo~ update from Apple via their support page. Run this installer separately, as you would for a normal software installation (ie. open the .pkg file).
Or checked the Apple website for a possible fix?

I'm swamped with other support requests at the moment, so I can't test this and find a fix personally, but I'm going to see if I can't get someone on the case.