Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 08-10-2010, 12:46 PM

Default Is PT 64 bit or not? and another question

Got into a thread over at the Propellerheads forum and we're bandying about whether PT is 64 bit or not. There are some that say it is for LE, some say 64 bit for LE and HD on the PC, some say it's 64 bit on all platforms but only as a beta. I've read some things on the Avid site that seem to say that while it's not supported (and let's not get into the meaning of supported) it can be run under Windows 7 32 and 64 bit.

I was under the impression PT, at least on the Mac, was 32 bit for released use. So which is it - 32 or 64 bit, and under what circumstances?

Second question: I've read the post here from Avid wherein it says PPC support was dropped from 8.0.3 and onwards. Yet there is at least one person, also posting in this same thread, that says he has 8.0.3 running on PPC (but he didn't say what os).

Here's a link to the thread: https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/...721#post766721

QAPLA!
Old 08-10-2010, 12:52 PM

Default Re: Is PT 64 bit or not? and another question

Pro Tools itself is not 64-bit. It can run on 64-bit operating systems, in certain cases. I'm not sure of which are fully supported, or just kinda work, off the top of my head.

8.0.3 cannot run on PPC, under any circumstance...the PPC code just isn't part of the app.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:55 PM

The actual Protools program is a 32 bit program, and won't be 64 bit for a while. As far as compatibility with 64 bit operating systems, that's another category.

It seems to work fine in Mac Snow Leopard, which is a 64 bit OS. I don't know much about Windows 7, but there's been some threads about it.
Old 08-10-2010, 01:17 PM

PPC support ended with 8.0.1cs2
Old 08-10-2010, 01:40 PM

Only brand new applications are likely to really be 64 bit. Everything else needs to be rewritten. That's going to take quite a while.
Old 08-10-2010, 01:48 PM

ProTools will never be 64 bit is my guess.

The new combined Media Composer/PT app will be.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 08-10-2010, 01:52 PM

I sure wish dreampolice (poster in the thread at Propheads) would actually read and understand what you people are saying. I present the evidence to him and he still insists he's right and that the people who actually work with PT everyday are wrong. I do work with PT on my cousin's HD3 system, but not on an everyday basis so I figured I'd ask those who know a heck of a lot more than I do (which are the good people here).

Thanks all for the responses.

QAPLA!
Old 08-10-2010, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
I sure wish dreampolice (poster in the thread at Propheads) would actually read and understand what you people are saying. I present the evidence to him and he still insists he's right and that the people who actually work with PT everyday are wrong. I do work with PT on my cousin's HD3 system, but not on an everyday basis so I figured I'd ask those who know a heck of a lot more than I do (which are the good people here).

Thanks all for the responses.
Perhaps post one of the many millions of threads here as a reference link? Or even one of the many responses from DTS?

Some people are just stubborn I guess, but it's funny that someone who doesn't even show face around here insists with such certainty that Pro Tools is something that it isn't. And it's not like it's a subjective statement either...

I guess when he decides to use more than 3 tracks, and one instance of Xpand, he'll find out the hard way when he runs out of RAM.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 08-10-2010, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dism View Post
Perhaps post one of the many millions of threads here as a reference link? Or even one of the many responses from DTS?

Some people are just stubborn I guess, but it's funny that someone who doesn't even show face around here insists with such certainty that Pro Tools is something that it isn't. And it's not like it's a subjective statement either...

I guess when he decides to use more than 3 tracks, and one instance of Xpand, he'll find out the hard way when he runs out of RAM.
I posted the link to this thread and links to some of Avid/Digi's web pages with info in the thread in question. I even suggested he come over here and search around. Bet he doesn't. There's only so much I'll do to help a person, particularly when that person stubbornly refuses to see they may be/are wrong. I've done my leg work for now I guess.

QAPLA!
Old 08-10-2010, 03:20 PM

Hi guys

musicman691 claimed this

"You are wrong about ProTools - no 64 bit yet, nothing in beta, at least not a public beta or that anyone is talking about."

and when I said, yes Pro tools 8.0.4 does run on Win7 64bit and showed the specs from

http://avid.custkb.com/avid/app/self...p?DocId=364971

"Pro Tools LE 8.0.4

* Includes many performance enhancements and fixes
* Full support for Windows 7 (32-bit and 64-bit)
* Full support for i5 and i7 iMac and MacBook Pro models
* Adds new Windows drivers—broadening compatibility on PC desktops and laptops"

He still disagreed. ha ha

All I said is PTLE 8.0.4 is now supported on WIN7 64bit it turned in to this huge fight. Amazing..

BTW read the thread on the props forum and have fun :)