Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2011, 12:35 PM

Default Master Fader question

I am voicing a script for a radio piece, and I think for some reason I have trouble modulating my voice. Even if I think the levels are set right, it tends to peak sometimes.

I don't know a lot about how the master fader tool works. But maybe it's another tool I'm looking for. I just want to compress all of the clips so they basically fall along the same volume level. What's the best way to do this?
Old 12-16-2011, 03:16 PM

Default Re: Master Fader question

A master fader in Pro Tools basically allows you to monitor an output/pair of outputs, and to put inserts on them. By itself, it is not a processing tool.

If you find that you are getting abrupt peaks that cause clipping, try reducing the attack time on the compressor. If there are a lot of dynamics in your voice performance, I would recommend using two compressors - one with a very low ratio (e.g. 1:1.5) and threshold to gently reduce the dynamic range, and then another after it with a fast attack, high ratio and high threshold to cut down the peaks.

You could also use a little level automation to smooth out general levels, but on spoken word it should be quite subtle.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-16-2011, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltydeath View Post
Even if I think the levels are set right, it tends to peak sometimes.
Then your preamp gain is too high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltydeath View Post
What's the best way to do this?
Record with lower gain and use a compressor at mix to level your voice with makeup gain to bring it up as loud as you want in the final print.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 12-17-2011, 07:52 AM

You also might be too close to the mic when tracking.

Increase the space between you and the mic, and you'll be surprised how much smoother, and less spikey it can be.