Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2021, 03:17 AM

Default DX Multi-Mic Phase Rellationship

Hi all

I have a question regarding phase when it comes to dialogue for motion pictures.

When you have multiple mics (Boom + Lav) and you need to occasionally do some more drastic EQ moves, how do you deal with the resulting phase shifts?

I'm talking about dialogue tracks that have already been auto-aligned via AudioSuite.

Do you use a linear phase EQ? Does that kill CPU too quickly? How bad does pre-ringing get on dialogue?

Do you send all your DX tracks to a bus first and do the EQ there to avoid messing with the phase between Boom and Lav?

Any inputs and workflow suggestions appreciated, thanks :)
Old 02-03-2021, 03:29 AM

Default Re: DX Multi-Mic Phase Rellationship

I always tend to try and use just one mic, choose the one that sounds the best and EQ that.

For me, multiple mics is a fallback situation when I'm trying to salvage badly recorded dialogue, or the Recordist wasn't allowed to get the boom in for whatever reason.

We have great tools now with auto align etc, but they should be used only when necessary.
Old 02-03-2021, 03:31 AM

and yes, I send them all to a bus.
Old 02-03-2021, 05:59 AM

soundradix auto-align-post

Mac 16 Core 7,1 -Os 10.15.7 - 96 gb Ram - Pro Tools 2022.6 Ultimate in 5 suites - MTRX Studio -S6 26-5-D - Sync HD - Video Satelite (Symphony 2022.5, AJA Kona 3g) Pro Protools 2022.6 Vanilla in 21 x Recording and Edit suites. Mac 6,1 Mac Mini, Mac Mini M1, Mac Studio Pro, Mac Studio Max
Mediacomposer 2021.12 on AJA Kona 3g / XT I/O x 3 suites. Multiple Avid S1, S3 & Docks
Old 02-03-2021, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StefB View Post
soundradix auto-align-post

that's why i wrote "I'm talking about dialogue tracks that have already been auto-aligned via AudioSuite."

this is not the issue here and it's also not realistic to do an AA pass after each EQ move (which in term would also need to be rendered first.
Old 02-03-2021, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViciousLullabyz View Post
that's why i wrote "I'm talking about dialogue tracks that have already been auto-aligned via AudioSuite."

this is not the issue here and it's also not realistic to do an AA pass after each EQ move (which in term would also need to be rendered first.
The only other issue I have run into with previously Auto-Aligned clips becoming "phasey" is when I don't have the same type and number of plugins, with matching active status, on both tracks.

For example, with auto-aligned clips on tracks 1 and 2, if I have an inactive EQ on both track 1 and track 2, then activate the EQ on track 2 to take out some bass, then the relationship becomes out of phase until I also activate the EQ on track 1.

So my templates include dialog tracks with the same plug-ins and the same active-status for each one across all tracks. When using Auto Align Post, I have to take care to note that these plug ins and their active status match.

Again, you may do the same, so perhaps something different is going on -- but this is how I've encountered the issue. Interested to find out what solution you discover, please let us know!

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
System/Hardware Info
IMDb credits
Old 02-03-2021, 10:20 PM

I send the dialogs to the DX bus but there is an EQ on each channel.
If two tracks are aligned (lav and boom) there is no reason it goes phasy unless you have and odd and different reverb processing for each one.
If it happens I don't send a corresponding track individually but instead do it from the DX bus (the DX bus goes to the DX master bus 5.0)
Having said that I should have a convincing reason for myself to leave both tracks.
I work with either Equilibrium or Pro Q3 and never felt any need for linear phase EQ (or use such an algorithm they have).

Sound Designer
/ mixer
www.goorevich.com

PT HD⎪N v2024.3 Ultimate ● macOS Ventura 13.6.3
MacPro 7.1 (2019) 3.2GHz Intel Xeon W 16-Core ● 96 GB RAM
MTRX Studio + DADman 5.7.0.1 + MOM ● Sync HD ● AJA Kona LHi referenced by AJA GEN10 ● D-Command ES24

Last edited by mgoorevich; 02-03-2021 at 10:31 PM.