Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Mac)

Old 02-12-2021, 05:49 PM

Default M Box 2 to 003 help

I have been using an Mbox 2 with Pro Tools LE 7.3 for a long time and recently bought a 003 Rack with Pro Tools LE 8 for the extra inputs.

My Mbox 2 has a front panel knob "Mix" that allows me to adjust the mix between in the inputs and outputs through the monitors. I turn it one way and hear raw input and the other way to only hear the output signal.

I usually have this set in the middle so I can monitor both. I cannot find this knob on my 003 and want to know if there is a way to hear the raw input signal on a 003 Rack??
Old 02-12-2021, 06:36 PM

Default Re: M Box 2 to 003 help

No. You can’t replicate that functionality with the 003.

You can enable low latency monitoring though which will give you a direct feed of the live input. It’s not passing through any conversion and thus is mot susceptible to latency. The downside is that any plugins you have active on the track you punch into record will be bypassed.

If you can live with the latter (no plugins on record track) then that is the best solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-12-2021, 06:55 PM

How would I accomplish that?
Old 02-12-2021, 07:29 PM

Read the Pro Tools Reference Guide discussion on Low Latency Monitoring.
Old 02-12-2021, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Read the Pro Tools Reference Guide discussion on Low Latency Monitoring.

Do you have a link perhaps? I have searched this several times and come up with nothing.
Old 02-12-2021, 10:07 PM

This is getting silly. You can't find what? The Reference Guide or the content in it?

The Pro Tools Reference Guide is likely already installed on your computer. Search for it.

Or you can download a PDF off the Avid website. Easily findable with Google.

If you can't find it with a search, all the Pro Tools docs all live at https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...-Documentation

Open the Reference Guide PDF for the version you are using and search for for "Low Latency Monitoring" and you will come up with multiple entries, first talking about HDX (that does not apply to you).. then HD Native (that also does not apply to you)... and a few more search clicks later you will find the title

"Low Latency Monitoring
(HD Native, 003, 003 Rack, 003 Rack+, Mbox
Pro, and Core Audio and ASIO Interfaces with
Built-in Mixers Only)"

That sounds like it might apply to you???? pp 534 in the Pro Tools Reference Guide. Version 2020.12

It is important you read the manual and understand exactly what Low latency Monitoring is going to do, that it will disable plugins etc.
Old 02-12-2021, 10:23 PM

Default M Box 2 to 003 help

Hmmm... I was going to post a LMGTFY with the PT Reference Guide, but I see Darryl beat me to the punch.

FYI - it’s at the bottom of the Options menu. But really, a flick through the manual would have revealed that. Heck, even a Google search would have brought it up for you.

Hopefully this does the trick for you. Remember though, you won’t be able to track through plugins with LLM enabled. Also, on the version of PT you’re using, LLM will only working on headphone 1 and output 1/2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-13-2021, 08:02 AM

LLM is one solution, but not desirable to me(because it bypasses plugins you may really want or need to hear). The better option is usually to set the Playback Buffer to 64 while tracking(recording). Then switch the buffer back to 1024 for mixing

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave