Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI

Old 06-15-2011, 05:03 AM

Default Yamaha S 90 ES Keyboard and Pro Tools. Basic Help needed

Help is needed in getting Pro Tools LE 8.01 to utilize my Yamaha S 90 ES keyboard as a MIDI device and as a tone generator (including drum sounds). This KB utilizes Cubase, SONAR, Logic DAW software. Yamaha did not design it to use with Pro Tools.

I use the following:
-Digidesign 003 Rack
-Rain Recording custom-designed model ION desktop computer
-Windows XP Pro

Basic Needs include:
1) Set up a MIDI connections and functions. MIDI cable IN/OUT's have been set up.
2) Set up of a "standard" song track and utilize MIDI KB record/playback functions
3) Set up of the drums sounds to utilize as a MIDI drum device and tone generator

OR

stated another way as 4) below

4) Using the KB keys as MIDI-device drum pad to record/playback and at the same time use the KB as a tone generator. Later, I will use my MOTU Express to have the IN/OUT capabilities for 2 MIDI devices and purchase a drum pad
?with or ?without tone generator. Any recommendations as to good drum pads would be appreciated as a purchase consideration.

One of my options, kind of a dreaded one, is to use the Cubase software (Yamaha included a Cubase AI4 DVD ROM disk to use with this keyboard). However, 3 years ago, I switched DAW software from SONAR to Pro TOOLS. Learning a 3rd DAW software would be over-kill for my "Newbie" skills.

I appreciate any help or leads that you can give.

Doc
Old 06-15-2011, 05:58 AM

Default Re: Yamaha S 90 ES Keyboard and Pro Tools. Basic Help needed

setting up the keys as a midi controller is easy - same as any other midi. Once you've made the physical connections from your keys to the PC, all you have to do is set up the keys as a midi controller. Make sure you've got the right midi channels set up.

Create a midi track, and assign it to the keys interface. When you play the keys, the midi track will record your playing. this will give you a midi track that you can then use to control any virtual instrument you want - including drum kits.

If you want to record the audio directly from the keys, simple connect the audio out from the keys to whatever audio inte4rface you use, create a new track, and record the audio directly (just like a mic or any other instrument).

To use the keys s a midi playback device, you need to set up your routing to send the midi track from protools to the midi in of the keys. You'll need to set up your keys to properly play the midi with the voices you want....
Old 07-03-2011, 08:19 AM

Default Re: Yamaha S 90 ES Keyboard and Pro Tools. Basic Help needed

I was wondering if I've got a multi split keyboard going into pro tools 8 onto a midi track how can I set the pro tools up so I can play different midi channels effectively using two instruments?