Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 01-20-2005, 06:41 AM

Default audio signal flow in protools

does anyone have a more detailed explination/image of the audio signal flow whthin the protools enviroment. I looked at the protools reference guide and can't seem to get a full understanding of how the sends and the busses work from it. What I am looking for is something like a one line diagram.

thanks
niros
Old 01-20-2005, 09:55 AM

Default Re: audio signal flow in protools

It can't be a one line diagram because it's modular.. and can be set up any way which is suitable for the user's purposes.

It helps to have an understanding of the analog hardware counterparts.

In Pro Tools you have different types of tracks - Audio Tracks and Aux Tracks. Inputs & Outputs can be either physical inputs or virtual busses. Sends can be sent to either physical I/O or virtual busses.

A Bus in an analog console is simply a long piece of wire that runs the length of the console... as you press a routing button the signal is summed into this Bus and fed into a Summing Amplifier - which is then fed into a Booster Amplifier (in the analog realm also to flip the phase) and is then sent to the patch bay where it either normals to a tape input, an effect send or a cue send.

Using an analog console you would normally split the console into Tape Returns and Effect Returns (not to be confused with using a "Split Console" where normally one side is used for Tape Returns and the other for Micophone/Line Inputs).

To set up the console in Pro Tools...

Create an Audio Track to be used as your "Tape Return"... Create an Aux Track to be used as your "Effect Return"...

Aux Tracks can also be referred to as "Input Tracks" since they always monitor their Input signal -- so they can also be used as sub mixers or to monitor synthesizers, etc.

The most basic setup in Pro Tools is:

<font class="small">Code:<hr /><pre>Input->(*)Audio Track->Insert Point->(Fader)->{Output routing assignment}->Master Fader->Master Output->Output
| |
---- ----
|
| Pre Post Fader Send Switch
|
|
------>Send Fader->{Whichever Bus or Output assigned}</pre><hr />

At the point (*) is where audio would actually be recorded (pre the insert).

The Send can be assigned to either a physical output (to feed a Cue Amp or an effects box) or it can be assigned to a virtual bus which could then be fed to an Aux Track and used as an effects send.. and the Aux Track would be used as an Effects Return (search the DUC for my previous post on "Sends & Returns").

I could go on for a while.. but this covers the basics.. I'll save the rest for my bestseller book (hah )

Obviously.. there's no simple way to draw every single cofiguration in one diagram using the symbols available here.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 01-21-2005, 08:56 AM

I guess my confusion came from the two different ways that you can look at the sends view, correct me if I’m wrong in the sends view you can opt to show the individual send controls from the menu Display > Sends view shows A through E. When your looking at the “A” for example your signal is still being sent to the location you specified in the sends view. But you now just have the ability to control the send level, the send pan, it’s pre and post designation, and mute? Correct!!

thanks
niros
Old 01-21-2005, 10:13 AM

That's just a choice of display... you have 5 sends per track.. how you display them is chosen by the Display option you mentioned or Control clicking on the send.

When you have the 5 state plates showing the A through E you click on a state plate and a fader will pop up on the screen where you can set your send level, etc. In the alternate view a mini fader appears, for a single send at a time, inline in the track for doing the same. Sends not displayed are still active.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 01-19-2023, 02:38 PM

Because I love reviving old/dead threads:

I recently created a diagram to illustrate signal flow within a single Pro Tools track, as a teaching tool for some of my colleagues. Attached here low-res but you can view it full-size over at Reddit.

Hope this helps anyone else looking for a visual representation of an Audio Track's signal path. Tool on!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TRACK SIGNAL FLOW_DD4.jpg (29.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-19-2023, 04:13 PM

Unlikely to help anybody with the totally broken DUC image downsizing. You'll need to post to a file or image sharing site and link to that here.
Old 01-20-2023, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
You'll need to post to a file or image sharing site and link to that here.
There is a link in the post above.

https://www.reddit.com/r/protools/co..._flow_diagram/