Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 12-29-2021, 11:46 PM

Default Midi issue

I open an instrument track. I select a plugin that has loops. I click record. I bus it to an audio track that will record the plugin's loop. When I start recording, it's way out of sync but when I play the recorded audio, it's perfect. The same thing will occur if I pencil midi in. Its playback is out of sync but the audio that it bussed to is perfect. I've been a Tools user since 2004. This is a new one.
Old 12-30-2021, 12:06 AM

Default Re: Midi issue

You are not giving much of the expected info. IO buffer size? Sample rate? Actually happens for any VI right -- nothing to do with loops or any specific VI? Delay comp turned on? What are delay comp latency numbers showing? The colors? Computer info? Interface? ...

Understanding many causes of stuff like this is helped if you actually measure that latency, how many samples and ms? All you need to do that should be right in front of you. e.g. record one VI output to an audio track and play that track back again against the VI and record them together to another track or record into another DAW if needed.

Are you sending via an Aux? If so you may be running into the fixed "disk" IO buffer size on the Aux, 1024 or 2048 samples depending on sample rate, not the input IO buffer size you configure in Pro Tools Setup>Playback Engine. Lots and lots of past discussion on this behavior and the split buffers in Pro Tools. Again measure the latency you are seeing in samples.
Old 12-30-2021, 09:12 AM

I remember this being a common issue when I used to print Superior Drummer to audio. What version of PT are you running? Why not use the track commit function(instead of bussing to an audio track and recording)?

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-31-2021, 12:30 PM

Thanks for replying. Dave. It's version 2019. Even though I've been using Tools since 2019, I'd not ever even heard of the Track Commit function. I'll find a video and check it out so I know going forward.
Old 12-31-2021, 12:42 PM

Here's a nice over-view

http://www.avidblogs.com/commit-in-p...and-arranging/

Old 12-31-2021, 12:42 PM

Having looked over the Commit Track function quickly, it seems to be focused on audio tracks. My issue is that MIDI is out of sync with the metronome. I can pencil in or play four quarter notes in midi. When I play them back, the Midi 1 is different than the metronome. Yet, if I bounce it to audio, it's perfectly synced.
Old 12-31-2021, 04:35 PM

Track Commit works just fine on Instrument tracks(which you probably should be using anyway). The idea being that once things are printed, they sound fine, so Track Commit saves time, and if you commit in the off-line method, you don't need to hear things out of time. Maybe if you describe the complete picture of what you are doing, leading up to when you print, someone may have a better way to reach the end goal

Old 01-01-2022, 04:21 PM

Turns out that it was all about turning off delay compensation.