Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2016, 08:18 AM

Default Restoring backup question

I have never had a need to do a backup restore in the past, although I do time machine backups regularly of my macbook pro. Currently I have El Capitan running and it is causing problems with PT 11HD. I am wondering if there is a way to install a backup of just Yosemite OS without losing files on the computer created since that backup?

I'm assuming the answer is yes, but I don't want to try for the first time and lose a bunch of files, or to spend hours moving everything to another hard drive.

I was going to do the upgrade to 12HD, but as a student, I really can't afford to be doing such an expensive upgrade right now, and with also knowing it would be another $399 next year right as I'm graduating.

Any advice would be appreciated. I would like to make PT11HD as stable as possible on this computer
Old 01-04-2016, 05:15 AM

Default Re: Restoring backup question

Quote:
Originally Posted by IVcrane View Post
I have never had a need to do a backup restore in the past, although I do time machine backups regularly of my macbook pro. Currently I have El Capitan running and it is causing problems with PT 11HD. I am wondering if there is a way to install a backup of just Yosemite OS without losing files on the computer created since that backup?

I'm assuming the answer is yes, but I don't want to try for the first time and lose a bunch of files, or to spend hours moving everything to another hard drive.

I was going to do the upgrade to 12HD, but as a student, I really can't afford to be doing such an expensive upgrade right now, and with also knowing it would be another $399 next year right as I'm graduating.

Any advice would be appreciated. I would like to make PT11HD as stable as possible on this computer
I would not rely on Time Machine to do a system restore. Sorry but your best bet is to wipe the system drive and reinstall Yosemite from clean along with all your applications. Never use TM or Migration Assistant (aka Migration Assassin) to bring over programs - just data.

You really should have paid attention to the compatibility info put out by Avid. PT11 is not approved by Avid for ElCapitan and probably won't be.

Sorry but you're going to have to spend the time playing computer geek doing the rescue work. You really should have made a complete clone of your system (not just a TM backup but a true clone) using something like Carbon Copy Cloner before you mistakenly went to ElCapitan.

QAPLA!