Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > Storage Subsystems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2001, 08:58 AM

Default Other G4 qualified SCSI HBAs?

Are there any plans to qualify any Ultra160 SCSI HBAs (ATTO or otherwise) in the AGP G4s and/or new four slot G4s? Heck, has anybody used an Ultra160 card with their Pro Tools 24 system without any problems? Adaptec 29160? 39160?

I'm just a little worried about being stuck with "just" an ultra-wide card, when there's a whole new world of LVD drives and HBAs with 160Mb/s burst xfer rates.

Thanks!
Old 02-08-2001, 01:26 AM

Default Re: Other G4 qualified SCSI HBAs?

The Atto UL3D dual channel U160 works fine on my Mix + rig and I know of others who use it as well. Do a search on the DUC and you'll probably find a thread that I posted a few weeks ago asking the same question on the PT-Mac Troubleshooting forum. A nice chap named Gulliver sorted me out on the subject.

Just make sure you have set your card's synch rate to "20 (10)" and the PCI burst rate to "32". Ironically, this reduces the card's throughput to standard UW performance which is all that the Digi hardware can handle at the moment. You do have the option to increase the performance using the Atto utility for other applications such as video, etc. where you really need the throughput. Also, as the Digi hardware evolves it will probably be able to handle greater throughput as well so I think the 160 direction makes more sense personally.

Also, make sure you format your audio drives with the current Atto drivers - the best scenario is for all drives on the Atto SCSI chain(s) to be formatted with Atto drivers and for the internal boot drive to be formatted with Apple's "drive setup" utility. If your audio drives are already formatted with FWB and you need to get working right away make sure it's at least FWB version 3.0.2 or later. Earlier versions of FWB such as 2.5 won't be seen or recognized by the Atto UL3D or UL3S cards. I found that out the hard way!

To my knowledge, the Atto cards are the ONLY ones currently approved for G4's.
The Adaptec cards lack a certain component necessary for them to work properly with Pro Tools in a G4.
Old 02-08-2001, 04:02 PM

Default Re: Other G4 qualified SCSI HBAs?

Quote:
Originally posted by maxx:
The Atto UL3D dual channel U160 works fine on my Mix + rig and I know of others who use it as well. Do a search on the DUC and you'll probably find a thread that I posted a few weeks ago asking the same question on the PT-Mac Troubleshooting forum. A nice chap named Gulliver sorted me out on the subject.

Just make sure you have set your card's synch rate to "20 (10)" and the PCI burst rate to "32". Ironically, this reduces the card's throughput to standard UW performance which is all that the Digi hardware can handle at the moment. You do have the option to increase the performance using the Atto utility for other applications such as video, etc. where you really need the throughput. Also, as the Digi hardware evolves it will probably be able to handle greater throughput as well so I think the 160 direction makes more sense personally.

Also, make sure you format your audio drives with the current Atto drivers - the best scenario is for all drives on the Atto SCSI chain(s) to be formatted with Atto drivers and for the internal boot drive to be formatted with Apple's "drive setup" utility. If your audio drives are already formatted with FWB and you need to get working right away make sure it's at least FWB version 3.0.2 or later. Earlier versions of FWB such as 2.5 won't be seen or recognized by the Atto UL3D or UL3S cards. I found that out the hard way!

To my knowledge, the Atto cards are the ONLY ones currently approved for G4's.
The Adaptec cards lack a certain component necessary for them to work properly with Pro Tools in a G4.
Thanks for the reply. Decided to go with the EPCI-DC (digi qual), since the Digi hardware won't support faster speeds anyway. Hopefully fibre channel will come our way.