Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-14-2022, 04:16 PM

Default Re: bluetooth in ear with Apollo I/O simultaneous comparative listening.

figured it out. VPN blocked access.
Drag, I'll have to remember to toggle VPN, but at least this works.
But I only get left side in stereo mode. Both in mono.

"Do not fear mistakes. There are none."

Miles Davis

Last edited by Fritz; 01-14-2022 at 04:28 PM.
Old 01-14-2022, 04:41 PM

Default Re: bluetooth in ear with Apollo I/O simultaneous comparative listening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
There are many ways to skin this cat.

An aggregate will work. Although I'd generally avoid an aggregate if you can. The aggregate just gives the DAW additional totally separate bluetooth device outputs, you need to use the DAW routing to send out those outputs as well as whatever it's sending to the Apollo.

You might consider a bluetooth hardware solution, e.g. maybe one of these to S/PDIF out. https://www.amazon.com/FiiO-Transmit.../dp/B09J48ZPD4. A nice bluetooth Babel Fish box.

All depends on what you are trying to do, which earphones (e.g. are they iPods you want to listen to via iOS/macOS), how often you switch, do you have to physically unplug headphone plugs on the Apollo, who else needs to use this etc.
I've gotten my AirPods Pro to work. They sound incredible! Love the noise reduction. The problem is that what I see on the screen and what I hear is NOT in sync. So its kinda pointless. Just as functional to bounce to disc and listen that way. It would be nice if Bluetooth could lineup as well as wired monitors/headphones... I like Bluetooth; but I feel it needs to get past one more level, maybe two: Latency and ease/reliability of connectivity. But CHEEEEEZUS H, do the AirPods Pro sound great!!!!!
Old 01-14-2022, 04:47 PM

Quote:
An aggregate will work. Although I'd generally avoid an aggregate if you can. The aggregate just gives the DAW additional totally separate bluetooth device outputs, you need to use the DAW routing to send out those outputs as well as whatever it's sending to the Apollo.

All depends on what you are trying to do, which earphones (e.g. are they iPods you want to listen to via iOS/macOS), how often you switch, do you have to physically unplug headphone plugs on the Apollo, who else needs to use this etc.

Might you give some hints as to how to set aggregate? Never figured the route to the BT.
It's just for me to have BT (Shure) in ears as a ref when I mix. Don't care about latency.
But if this about hard ware, mi's'well get a 1/4" BT xmit and be done.
I was thinking this could be done with OSX on-board BT. But perhaps not.

Miles Davis
Old 01-14-2022, 05:19 PM

You just set up the aggregate, being careful to include the earbud *outputs* in the aggregate.

Again if something like an AirPod, which I assume the Sure is, you need to power them on/bring them out of the box, mayve stick 'em in your ear (so they don't detect not in use and power down--I have no idea if the Sure use IR sensors like the AirPods do to detect they are in your ear or not) and set stuff up like any other aggregate. And maybe with your earpods you can disable things like timeouts/power down.

But just having an aggregate device will not just make this work, you need to make sure that Setup>IO in pro Tools is correct and you have a route in Pro Tools to the earbuds (e.g. a send to the IO output or use multiple-output IO on a track). What did you do to route IO to the earbuds in the aggregate?
Old 01-14-2022, 06:12 PM

not IR sensors in the Shures.
Here's my route in Audio Midi.
Screen Shot 2022-01-14 at 9.07.54 PM.png
But 31/32 don't show in PT. Only the 26 that are part of the Apollo.
What am I forgetting or doing wrong?

Miles Davis
Old 01-14-2022, 06:19 PM

oh what a dummy. I didn't "re-default" the I/O so they din't show up.
thanks for knocking my head.

Miles Davis
Old 01-14-2022, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimothyJohn View Post
I've gotten my AirPods Pro to work. They sound incredible! Love the noise reduction. The problem is that what I see on the screen and what I hear is NOT in sync. So its kinda pointless. Just as functional to bounce to disc and listen that way. It would be nice if Bluetooth could lineup as well as wired monitors/headphones... I like Bluetooth; but I feel it needs to get past one more level, maybe two: Latency and ease/reliability of connectivity. But CHEEEEEZUS H, do the AirPods Pro sound great!!!!!
I think the Airpods and especially Airpod Pros are some of the most impressive consumer electronics ever devised. Way to go Apple, how to build >$10B annual revenue out of damn earphones. So impressive.

The Airpod Pro sound good and better to me than Airpods. I used them a lot personally, daily long walks with the dog while listening to podcasts and lots of music. I have them in transparency mode while walking outside so I don't get run over. Not that I'm in an office much with Covid happening, but I love I can walk around wearing them in the office, in transparency mode and have quick conversations with people then flick them into isolation mode and be able to work without distraction. I use them with the Comply memory foam tips for a bit better hold and seal (less chance of falling out when walking). The transparency/isolation feature is what makes these so compelling for me. But enabling transparency does harms the lower-frequency performance.

The Airpod Pro sound better to me that the Airpod, but if I was to nitpick maybe not very flat and a little muffled. Still I could not do without them. And given how much Airpods are used by people I'd hope they are a used for reviewing any mix...

If you like the sounds of these in-ear earbuds, I would encourage you to try a pair of high-end (wired) IEMs like the Eytomic Research ER4SR. They just sound *incredible*, are deep insertion (for excellent bass response) but some folks find that uncomfortable. I've got multiple pairs of Eytomic Research IEMs, Sure IEMs and Airpods. All are nice, but the ones I like the most are Eytomic Research high-end models when driven by a Grace m920 with cross-feed... that sounds just magical. Better than my Sennheiser HD650s, but if I'm at my desk I'll often switch between the HD650s and Eytomic Research IEMs depending on what I'm doing. I really wish Apple had cross-feed support in the AirPods/AirPod Pro.
Old 01-14-2022, 07:25 PM

The Airpods are very nice indeed. Though I do prefer the "honesty" of my Senn 650s, and wired Shure 535s.
Neither unfortunate have a transparent mode.
So I don't wear when I'm in Manhattan.
I have heard others say great things about the Eytomics.
Which ones do you have.?

Miles Davis
Old 01-14-2022, 08:06 PM

I don't have any of the latest Etymotic, I have an older pair of ER-4S (my favorites), a pair or ER-4SR and some lower-end ones that don't have clear model numbers labeled on them. I had the earlier high-end model before the ER-4S, they were fantastic as well and IIRC they had a problem and Etymotic replaced them with the ER-4S. The issue with the ER-4 series is how microphonic the cable is, it's worse on the ER-4S. If it rubs on your clothing you can hear it... they provide a clip to help stop that, but it's easy to have that fall off and lose it (they sell spares but what a PITA). The lower-end and newer ones have softer mode flexible cabling that avoid the microphonics. I use all these with the Etymotic triple flange silicone ear pieces, they seal fantastic in my ears.

I have Shure 425s, they sound good but find that are much more of a pain to futz around putting them on that the Etymotic, how that over-ear piece fits etc. I do want to try listening to some of the high-end multi-driver Shure just to hear what they sound like. And now Etymotic has multi-driver models as well.

I was looking at Sennheiser HD800s since I love the HD650 so much, but for all that $$$ just did not make sense when the ER-4S and HD650s are so damn good.

We are spoilt with the technology we have today, such incredible sound quality.
Old 01-14-2022, 09:52 PM

Quote:
I think the Airpods and especially Airpod Pros are some of the most impressive consumer electronics ever devised. Way to go Apple, how to build >$10B annual revenue out of damn earphones. So impressive.

The Airpod Pro sound good and better to me than Airpods. I used them a lot personally, daily long walks with the dog while listening to podcasts and lots of music. I have them in transparency mode while walking outside so I don't get run over. Not that I'm in an office much with Covid happening, but I love I can walk around wearing them in the office, in transparency mode and have quick conversations with people then flick them into isolation mode and be able to work without distraction. I use them with the Comply memory foam tips for a bit better hold and seal (less chance of falling out when walking). The transparency/isolation feature is what makes these so compelling for me. But enabling transparency does harms the lower-frequency performance.

The Airpod Pro sound better to me that the Airpod, but if I was to nitpick maybe not very flat and a little muffled. Still I could not do without them. And given how much Airpods are used by people I'd hope they are a used for reviewing any mix...

If you like the sounds of these in-ear earbuds, I would encourage you to try a pair of high-end (wired) IEMs like the Eytomic Research ER4SR. They just sound *incredible*, are deep insertion (for excellent bass response) but some folks find that uncomfortable. I've got multiple pairs of Eytomic Research IEMs, Sure IEMs and Airpods. All are nice, but the ones I like the most are Eytomic Research high-end models when driven by a Grace m920 with cross-feed... that sounds just magical. Better than my Sennheiser HD650s, but if I'm at my desk I'll often switch between the HD650s and Eytomic Research IEMs depending on what I'm doing. I really wish Apple had cross-feed support in the AirPods/AirPod Pro.
Thank you Darryl!