Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018

Old 11-26-2021, 11:04 AM

Default Constant HUI Error messages

Good morning,
I have PT 18.4, Lenovo laptop with 16 gigs of ram, MBox III ,the ICON QCon Pro X control surface and the Oxygen 49 keyboard.

I'll open a session, and a couple seconds later I get this error message:

Pro Tools is unable to communicate with HUI. Power-cycle HUI and check its connections. Note, if HUI is not in use, update the Peripherals dialog to prevent further warnings.

I'll click the OK button and the same error will pop up again referencing the keyboard.

I have the peripherals set up correctly and tried to change the order between the QCon and the Keyboard. It didn't help. I tried just turning off the Qcon Pro X and turning it back on..... no help.. Same for the Keyboard, I'll unplug it and plug it back in.... no help. The message pops up over and over..

If I play a session before the error pops up, it plays fine and continues to play as the error messages come. I'll lose the ability to stop the session until I click the OK button on the message

If I arm the record button, I'm able to record and no error message shows up. Same with bouncing to disk. No error message..

If anyone has an idea of what I may try to stop the error, I appreciate it so very much.. thank you, RichrdC
Old 11-26-2021, 11:39 PM

Default Re: Constant HUI Error messages

So googling a bit I see the Qcon supports HUI, but I find no mention that the Oxygen 49 does. If the Oxygen 49 doesn’t support HUI, you don’t want it configured as a DAW controller in the peripherals dialog.

Otherwise, if the Oxygen 49 does support HUI, you have to put it in HUI mode.

Regardless, the Oxygen 49 will still act as a MIDI controller allowing you to play virtual instruments whether or not it’s configured as a DAW controller in the peripherals.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 11-27-2021, 11:30 AM

Thanks for the reply.. Why get the error message if the HUI is set up correctly in the Peripherals section?? Maybe I'll try taking the Oxygen Keyboard off the peripherals and see what happens.. This error is making me a little bit crazy.. Thanks again.

Last edited by RichrdC; 11-27-2021 at 11:58 AM.
Old 11-27-2021, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichrdC View Post
Why get the error message if the HUI is set up correctly in the Peripherals section??
If the device doesn't support HUI, then it doesn't communicate via the HUI protocol. Pro Tools reports this error because it's not getting the right response from a device you configured in the peripherals window.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 11-30-2021, 04:01 AM

The Oxygen 49 is not a HUI device so should not be in the Peripherals/ Midi Controllers section at all. Only your QCon should be there. You need to go to Setup/Midi/Midi Studio Setup and configure it there. The Oxygen 49 is for controlling instrument plugins via midi.
Dell Precision 490 Workstation, dual 4 core 5355 Xeon, 16gb Samsung DDR2 ECC Ram - Windows 7 Ultimate - Nvidia GTX 650 - 3 x Internal WD Blacks - PT 2018.3 - Digi 002R - Original Mackie HUI - 3 screens - JBL Monitoring.
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790 - 24gb RAM - Windows 10 - Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB with Studio driver 546.01 - 2 x Internal Samsung 860 EVO SSDs, and MSATA card - Davinci Resolve Studio 18.6.4 - 3 screens - Blackmagic Speed Editor - MK1 Presonus Faderport - Canon C100 mk2 - Atomos Ninja 2 - Zoom H2n

Last edited by Wizzoboy; 11-30-2021 at 04:17 AM.
Old 11-30-2021, 05:17 PM

I'll be looking checking out your advice. Wizzoboy Thanks for the input..
Old 01-01-2022, 06:38 PM

Happy New Year... I thought I'd just post to this thread since I just started getting this message now on a new computer. The message is

Pro Tools is unable to communicate with HUI. Power-cycle HUI and check its connections. Note, if HUI is not in use, update the peripherals dialog to prevent further warnings.

Funny thing though, the ICON Qcon Pro X is communicating.. When you click off the error message, the Qcon does what it's suppose to do..

I'll be setting up the Oxygen Keyboard in the Midi section, but I'm a bit perplexed this error popped up again.. I'll post a Sandra report if needed. It's a Microsoft Dell desktop, 32 gig ram..

Hope everyone is well.. thanks for any insight.
Old 01-06-2022, 03:20 PM

Thought I'd add a final post to this thread... Funny thing. I noticed that the Qcon Pro X was working fine when the error would pop up. That error message about not communicating, well, there was a tab on the bottom of the error message that said, 'Don't show this message again.' So I clicked on it.. I haven't had the error messagee anymore... Real high tech stuff here. But it worked!!